• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many people in this forum were born by C-section?

How many people in this forum were born by C-section?

• Total voters

Radio

Why do you want to know?
Babies delivered via C-section show different microbial profiles than those born vaginally....Where as vaginally delivered infants are colonized at first by fecal and vaginal bacteria from the mother. There could be a connection...Has anyone ever poll this?

The next question would be....Was your birth mother exposed to antibiotics a short time before you were conceived? Also, could birth control pills laced with tetracycline antibiotic be a risk factor?

Last edited:

Undisclosed

I was born at home delivered by a midwife. My mother was not exposed to antibiotics before I was conceived. She wasn't on birth control at any point.

Radio

I was born at home delivered by a midwife. My mother was not exposed to antibiotics before I was conceived. She wasn't on birth control at any point.
The next thing I would want to know is... Do you have mercury amalgams? The reason I ask is...Mercury can have a impact on gut bacteria as well...

taniaaust1

Babies delivered via C-section show different microbial profiles than those born vaginally....Whereas vaginally delivered infants are colonized at first by fecal and vaginal bacteria from the mother. There could be a connection...Has anyone ever poll this?

The next question would be....Was your birth mother exposed to antibiotics a short time before you were conceived? Also, could birth control pills laced with tetracycline antibiotic be a risk factor?

I know of three of us (at least the 4th of us may be the same I just dont know) in my family who have ME/CFS all had natural births.

My mother did take some antibiotics during pregnancy with me. (I know this as they were blamed for my teeth issues in my extremely pitted, very discoloured blotchy second teeth but that turned out to actually be floride overdose).

Unfortunately the answers to this illness arent simple.

adreno

PR activist
It would also be interesting to know whether people were formula- or breastfeed. And if breastfeed, for how long. This data can be hard to obtain in a reliable way though, as many may not know or remember.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I think that for this forum, many of us are going to have been born vaginally due to the age ranges here. However I do believe that the alarming rise in the C section rate could in the long run cause issues with the microbiota (to name just one issue)

In my part of the UK we now have a c section rate of over 25% which is just unacceptable. (I used to work as a doula, breastfeeding counsellor and antenatal teacher, with a focus on natural birth)

For information - my mother also has M.E, and a maternal cousin. I was born vaginally, but then adopted so we did not even share our environment as I grew up. I have 4 children, all born at home, all long term breastfed. One of them so far may have M.E. I did not take antibiotics while I was pregnant with her or any of the others.

I think it will be hard to find a correlation for PWME here, but I DO think birth and breastfeeding will have a large long term impact on a persons health and wellbeing throughout their lives.

Justy.

Valentijn

I came two days late, at a hospital, vaginally. My mom pretty much delivered me herself since her roommate (also in labor) was belatedly diagnosed with a broken tailbone. Ouch!

No antibiotics, and presumably no birth control, since the wedding came several months after the conception :p But my mom is Rh- and my dad is Rh+, so she was given an injection (containing mercury) to prevent an antigen developing against future fetuses.

Both parents were living on a farm at the time, and my mom was very much into natural and healthy living.

Radio

I came two days late, at a hospital, vaginally. My mom pretty much delivered me herself since her roommate (also in labor) was belatedly diagnosed with a broken tailbone. Ouch!

No antibiotics, and presumably no birth control, since the wedding came several months after the conception :p But my mom is Rh- and my dad is Rh+, so she was given an injection (containing mercury) to prevent an antigen developing against future fetuses.

Both parents were living on a farm at the time, and my mom was very much into natural and healthy living.

Thanks, Good to know...My research is showing methylation and low HCL (hypochlorhydria) can be a factor dysbiosis. We know mercury can also affect this problem as well as H-pylori and gastritis. I know many have been exposed to antibiotics at some point in their life.

Last edited:

peggy-sue

My mother was a "virgin godess".
The very notion of her doing anything "natural" is just... unnatural!
I don't want the notion of b****feeding to enter my head. It gives me the utter heebie-jeebies just thinking about having to be anywhere near her, but that close - :wide-eyed: where is the sick bucket?????

PennyIA

No idea about antibiotic use, but my mom did deliver me vaginally and in fact, was urged to NOT push in the elevator on the way to the hospital room because I had already crowned. She wasn't on birth control as I was also conceived a few months before the wedding.

Fwiw - mom had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I'm convinced she also had ME due to the PEM she suffered from (but was never diagnosed with) before she passed away a few years ago.

Another interesting side note - she had HORRID experience of morning sickness with me, the ONLY thing she could tolerate during my pregnancy was flat pepsi. I was the fourth of five children and the only one that she experienced that with. I bring it up because someone (wouldn't be able to remember who) also mentioned that her mother had the SAME inability to tolerate anything except flat pepsi (uncanny) during the pregnancy with them (and not other children) and they too were the only one among their siblings with ME/CFS.

For the record, I'm undiagnosed, but do meet all the CCC criteria for ME/CFS.

Ambrosia_angel

My mum delivered my vaginally with no epidural which is quite uncommon for the decade I was born in. I wasn't breastfed though. I always wondered if that had a connection to my health. As far as I know my sister was breastfed more then me. My mum put the reason for not breastfeeding me down to stress (due to other stuff).

Radio

I think the C-section poll could have much higher numbers in the autism community. I want to thank everyone who participated in this poll so far...Thanks!

GracieJ

Interesting question, but I think other multiple factors have to be considered, and many have already been mentioned.

I was born "normally" but formula fed. It was the 60s. I shudder to think what was in the formula and have long wondered what impact it has had.

@peggy-sue My mother was cold and distant. I always wondered if being breastfed would have made a difference in our bonding (what bonding?) but I actually think not. It was only about plumbing and delivery when she did nurse a younger sibling years later. Your comments made me chuckle.