• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Black Mold Poisoning

I have been ill with ME for a year. All the classic symptoms.

I just found a huge area of black mold behind my refrigerator. Had some guys come in, and it turns out the mold is everywhere. I was living in this place for 2 years although moved out 5 months ago to live with my parents. Could it be possible I have some type of black mold poisioning?

Last edited:

Martial

I wouldn't say there is any more potential toxicity with black mold comparative to any other types.. Usually the info on black mold is speculation and created to create fear in the public so mold testers can charge these outrageous prices to check for deadly toxins.

You can have mold spores in your respitory tract and some built up in the system but removing yourself from the source of mold should automatically correct the issues though it may take some time.

acer2000

Yeah, black mold can cause all of the symptoms of ME/CFS. Depending on your genetics and how long you have been exposed you may or may not feel sick or get better by just moving. You should google Ritchie Shoemaker, he is a doctor that specialized in treating mold exposed people and he has a lot of info out there about its effects and what to do about it.

*GG*

Yeah, black mold can cause all of the symptoms of ME/CFS. Depending on your genetics and how long you have been exposed you may or may not feel sick or get better by just moving. You should google Ritchie Shoemaker, he is a doctor that specialized in treating mold exposed people and he has a lot of info out there about its effects and what to do about it.

Yes, but does Dr Shoemaker still practice medicine, seeing patients that is?

GG

My test from Real Time showed .66ppb for Trichotthecene which is a mycotoxin from Stachybotrys chartarum aka "black mold". I ordered a Pro-Lab test kit and sent it in for analysis. It contains a a petri dish which I taped to my forced air duct for 15 minutes and then let it grow for 3 days. It grew a dark mold and I sent it in for analysis. No results as yet. My doctor who ordered the test has me taking a combination of Chlorella, Bentonite Clay and Charcoal. I have read these all are proposed as being able to absorb the Trichotthecene and then its excreted in the stool. Thats the theory. Just sarted a week ago slowly and I'm hoping it will make a difference.

The test is done by Real Time Labs by using a standard ELISA.

http://www.realtimelab.com/healthcare-mold-and-mycotoxin-information

I suggest calling them to ask about reliability. ELISA's are among the most common types of tests done and are based on antibodies. They are normally reliable for specific molecule like Tricothecenes.

I looked around and found the ELISA is the method used by food producers to be sure the food is not contaminated.

For example:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFile...Hoagland/Hoaglandetal.08CSSPA39-3057-3073.pdf

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc....1371/journal.pone.0060484&representation=PDF

CDC: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/Trichothecene/casedef.asp

But whether its effective via a Urine test is unknown.

The cost through my doctor was just over $500 for testing for all 3 common Mycotoxins.

You can order it through a service like DirectLabs but its costs $699 so my doctor must receive a discount.

https://www.directlabs.com/OrderTests/tabid/55/language/en-US/Default.aspx

My doctor had me sit in my hot tub for 15 minutes before providing the Urine sample. I'm guessing the heat helps release the Mycotoxins into the urine.

Mycotoxin Testing
Tricothecenes are evaluated by using Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbant Assay (ELISA). The test at RTL has been validated as a qualitative test. Thus, RTL reports whether tricothecenes are PRESENT or NOT PRESENT.

Aflatoxins are evaluated using ImmunoSorbant Columns containing antibodies to the group of aflatoxins (B1, B2, G1, and G2). Results are reported as PRESENT or NOT PRESENT.

Ochratoxin A is evaluated using immunoSorbant Columns containing antibodies to the Ochratoxin A. Results are reported as PRESENT or NOT PRESENT.

Specimens that have been validated are urine, sputum, nasal washes, tissues. To discuss cost of these tests, please call the laboratory.

I wouldn't say there is any more potential toxicity with black mold comparative to any other types.. Usually the info on black mold is speculation and created to create fear in the public so mold testers can charge these outrageous prices to check for deadly toxins.

You can have mold spores in your respitory tract and some built up in the system but removing yourself from the source of mold should automatically correct the issues though it may take some time.

Mate - no offence but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Dr Shoemaker would disagree with you strongly, along with many others.

I am still suffering from BM exposure.

Abha

Abha
Mold certainly contributed to my ME. I also tested as having what Shoemaker regards as the most susceptible HLA genotype. For some people it's a bigger factor than others.

Hi Sianrecovery,

I see you are living in UK and that mold contributed to your illness.Where did you have the testing done and how much did it cost?Were you able to remove the toxins?....If so how much better do you feel?
Thanks.......

Hip

I wouldn't say there is any more potential toxicity with black mold comparative to any other types.

It would appear that Martial may know what he is talking about:
You can’t judge whether a particular mold is toxic or non-toxic simply by its color. Source: here

The color of the mold to the naked eye cannot tell you anything about whether its toxic or not. With over 100,000 species, mold comes in about any size, shape, and color you can think of, making it virtually impossible to tell what type of mold you have without a microscope and lab testing. Source: here

The type of black mold that made the news years ago, associated with a lot of ill health effects, was called Stachybotrys. However, there are many other molds that look black, and are fairly common and generally not of concern. Source: here

The coloration of mold is governed by pigmentation, physiological activity and genetics of the organism. The production of toxins is highly influenced by the nature of metabolites produced by the mold and environmental conditions. Hence, the toxicity does not correlate directly with the color of the mold. Source: here

Last edited:

leela

I'm not sure the OP was speaking about the color, but about Stachybotrys Chartarum, which is commonly referred to as "black mold" by the general public.

No matter what color your mold is, if you have a depleted immune system and you are being continually exposed to a known allergen as well as the neurotoxic compounds it produces, you are not going to be doing your health any favors.

Martial

Dr Shoemaker would disagree with you strongly, along with many others.

I am still suffering from BM exposure.

Fair enough, I just haven't seen enough evidence that has actual proven documentation that the kind of black mold Stachybotrys causes any differences in ill health then other types of mold.. Unless maybe you were eating a huge amount of it... It is also incredibly rare while many different types of mold can be the same color..

Stachybotrys is also only growable on cellulose type material wood, and paper.

That all being said I found a recent product that can clear mold right out of the system effectively without using statins.. Its called Zeolite, a kind of micro sized volcanic ash clay that binds to positve electron free radicals like heavy metals, ammonia, radiation, and neuro toxins.

Hip

I'm not sure the OP was speaking about the color, but about Stachybotrys Chartarum, which is commonly referred to as "black mold" by the general public.
Good point, let's ask him:

@Xhale19991, when you say the "black mold" in your old home, are you talking about a mold which has been identified by experts as Stachybotrys chartarum, or are you just calling it "black mold" because of its color?

No matter what color your mold is, if you have a depleted immune system and you are being continually exposed to a known allergen as well as the neurotoxic compounds it produces, you are not going to be doing your health any favors.

I think there is big difference between an allergic response to mold, which might give you a few sniffles or itchy eyes, and the ill health effects of toxins from toxic species of mold, which have been linked to ME/CFS:

Fungal spores: hazardous to health?
Detection of mycotoxins in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Fair enough, I just haven't seen enough evidence that has actual proven documentation that the kind of black mold Stachybotrys causes any differences in ill health then other types of mold.. Unless maybe you were eating a huge amount of it...

One of my TCM practitioners has had several patients who became seriously ill from stachybotrys. And no, they were not eating it.

That all being said I found a recent product that can clear mold right out of the system effectively without using statins.. Its called Zeolite, a kind of micro sized volcanic ash clay that binds to positve electron free radicals like heavy metals, ammonia, radiation, and neuro toxins.

Zeolite was a fad back in the early 2000s. I tried it and it proved to be very ineffective. Several people I know became distributors for a MLM company that sold it for an excessive price. None of them or their customers had very good results taking it.

Martial

I understand I just haven't read into enough of it to have confirmed evidence of the issues, not saying it doesn't exist or is not harmful, It's just everything I read on the topic and looked into before looked like a goldmine of potential and propaganda produced by people in home restoration and fixing to take advantage of fearful patrons. Maybe I just saw the lousy research and studies...

Anyways here is a good article on recovery from mold toxicity

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/01/recovery-from-toxic-mold-exposure.aspx

Also a very good book recommended in the article from a family that describes their experiences
with mold sickness

http://www.amazon.com/MOLD-Kurt-Lee-Ann-Billings/dp/0972101608

I don't think zeolite is uneffective though, many MD's prescribe it for de toxing with lyme disease, and other illnesses and has quite a good reputation of results. I don't know of any MLM companies that sell it but anytime something goes MLM it gets a pretty bad rep..

One thing I do know is that the FORM of zeolite is the only way it will be largely effective, here is an article on that.. Stating that it has to be Micronized rather then milled, otherwise it renders it useless..
http://www.zeolite.com/

It would appear that Martial may know what he is talking about:

That would appear to be a huge "MAY" as Martial later eludes to himself.

I would not rely on any study randomly dredged up, against all the work Dr Shoemaker has done over the course of his life --> Dr Dietrickt Klighardt has called Dr Shoemaker "a Genius" in relation to the work he has done in regards to Mold.

But I am sure there is some study out there to disprove that statement too!?