• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Potassium For How Long After Stopping B12?

arx

Hi,

After more than a week of stopping mb12, adb12 and other b-vitamins, I'm still feeling the need to supplement potassium daily. Does this last for quite a while?

Last edited:

Martial

Usually only as long as you are on the protocol... Unless it brought your levels severly low and your liver needs to store more which can take some time.

arx

I also thought the need for more would end after stopping B12, or a week after that... apparently not.

@girlfromeurope Yep. Magnesium does help :)

Martial

Maybe take it a few hours a part from potassium supplements, but shouldn't be an issue with say coconut water, bananas etc...

arx

@Martial

You say "Unless it brought your levels severly low and your liver needs to store more which can take some time."

You mean the deficiency brought the levels severely low, and after supplementation and subsequently stopping supplementation of B12 and other B-vitamins, the body could still need more potassium and magnesium to continue the "process" for some more time?

The "process" would be RBC production and powering the Na+/K+ pump? Both requiring potassium and magnesium to continue. This could go on for a while depending on our bodies.. days to few weeks maybe?

arx

Also,

Suggestions for magnesium supplements please? Which form is the best?

L'engle

moogle
After taking lithium orotate I had potassium loss for a month after not taking methyl b12. But without lithium orotate a week or two has been the extent of it. It stops eventually.

Martial

@Martial

You say "Unless it brought your levels severly low and your liver needs to store more which can take some time."

You mean the deficiency brought the levels severely low, and after supplementation and subsequently stopping supplementation of B12 and other B-vitamins, the body could still need more potassium and magnesium to continue the "process" for some more time?

The "process" would be RBC production and powering the Na+/K+ pump? Both requiring potassium and magnesium to continue. This could go on for a while depending on our bodies.. days to few weeks maybe?

If your levels were severly low you would be hospitalized and definitely not able to type on a computer right now, people that low in potassium present with symptoms like paralysis and cardiac arrest... that being said if you did have the chance of being really low on that level it would easily show up on a serum blood test that includes your potassium levels.

I don't know how much longer after any protocol you would still need supplementation or a higher intake though, I would give you a number but it would be speculated.. I think definitely it would not last more then a few weeks of stopping the protocol though..

There are many different forms, chelated, citrate, glyconate, etc.. Just anything that is a bio available form or as natural as possible... Doctor's best, Soloray, Jarrow's, and Now are all good brand names of magnesium.