• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

reduce inflammatory cytokines, Importance of Diet

xchocoholic

I was trying to say that I NEED to spike my glucose if I'm exerting myself. I can't physically or mentally keep up any other way.

For ex I won't remember what washers I put laundry soap in or which dryers I'm using. Doing laundry wipes me out. Sugar keeps me more alert.

As you can imagine I was relieved when I finally figured this out.

I only do this when I'm exerting myself. Sugar spikes make me feel horrible if my body isn't needing it.

From what I've seen my reaction to sugar or fruit juices is the same reaction diabetics get when crashing from hypoglycemia. My bg hasn't been recorded as less than 60? But I'm still getting the crash. I respond completely to the diabetic hypoglycemia treatment. OJ or glucose tablets. I have to sit for a few minutes too. I'm not sure if that's part of the diabetic treatment plan. My body won't recover completely if I don't rest.

I don't know how common this is for pwcs. I have hyperinsulinemia. Dr Myhill said chronic hypoglycemia is common in pwcs tho.

I'd love to find a doctor who knew exactly what to look for.

Tc ... x

xchocoholic

No. Not yet. I haven't heard good things from others who travelled down this path so I wasn't excited about going there.

Got any ideas on who to see in the US ?

I actually would anticipate a hospital stay being required since I have seizures. My last gtt+ insulin test made me feel nauseas, faint and soooo sleepy I could barely keep my eyes open. On the previous gtt test I was so pale from fasting that the lab called my dr to make sure it was ok to run the test.

And recently I've started having a weird movement disorder from getting poked with a needle. The ER staff was confused when I said I couldn't stop moving. They finally gave me drugs.

I'm weird. Lol. Tc. X

xchocoholic

Whatever works for you, At least you got a good excuse to stick to the naughty foods ;) hahaha

I was really struggling and feeling guilty when I thought these foods were bad. I'm a perfectionist when I'm on a mission. My labs show that I over produce gluten antibodies so that helped me stay motivated. It turned out that I was beating myself up for nothing. :)

It's funny when I first learned about the paleo low carb diet and read all the benefits I thought it was the answer to my hypoglycemia problem. Nope.

I tried the MAD diet for my seizures. That didn't work for me either. I was pale and felt faint all the time.

I'm assuming that as a celiac with multiple auto immune problems that this is just one more.

Snickers ... yum. :) ... x

NilaJones

Eat those tubers with fats and acids and they won't spike your blood sugar.

Thanks! I never knew!

Do you have a similar trick for keeping fats and carbs eaten in daytime from making me dozey? I have had to tightly ration them, for decades. mostly just green veg and a little protien, until i m ready to crash for the evening -- then I eat the real food.

adreno

PR activist
Thanks! I never knew!

Do you have a similar trick for keeping fats and carbs eaten in daytime from making me dozey? I have had to tightly ration them, for decades. mostly just green veg and a little protien, until i m ready to crash for the evening -- then I eat the real food.
Don't you think those crashes are related to spikes in blood sugar?

Lillybelle

Hi @Martial etc I find it so interesting that when I show some understandable sceptisim of you intitial post I am spoken to as if I am some kind of bleary eyed newcomer!!

I have done a lot of research into 'Paleo/stone age diets' I have been a patient of Dr Myhills for 4 years so theres no getting away with not cleaning up your diet with her. I was just pointing out that paleo is not the end all and be all and does make some peoples health worse. My gut couldn't tolerate it for whatever reason, which without expensive testing I may never know - perhaps an allergy - certainly not to meat as I don't eat it (yeah I know now we have to have yet another massive discussion about meat eating which I don't have the energy or stomach for - pardon the pun)

I have had a couple of years off of all sugars and refined carbs in the past and still gained weight. My metabolism appears to be very broken - adrenals off, hormones off, severe nutritional deficiencies, mito problems on testing, and a list of symptoms that is as long as my arm. In other words I have M.E - currently an incurable illness, which I do not belive is going to be cured by diet. If it can be proven to me that a specific diet really works tpo improve many symtpoms within a time frame of less than many years I would give it a try - in fact I have tried many diets and variations - often despite not having enough money to live on and not having enough energy or brain power to prepare food for myself, let alone my family.

There are many excellent threads on PR on diet - recently there has been a lot of polititcal discussion, but that doesn't mean that the discussions on diet haven't been there over the years.

FWIW my two years of very restricted diet a la Myhills protocol did not help any of my M.E or gut symptoms. it did clear up a systemic candida which came on after a year on antibiotics and for that I am very greatful - in the end there were no other gains and it was making me miserable and was very expensive and time consuming for a very sick person.

I am though very happy for all those who have found help and relief from diet - I wish I were one of them, but so far have not found the right diet.

Hi Justy I'm very familiar with Dr Myhill's site and Im sure she has tested you for hypothyroidism. All I can say is I was really sick with it and cfs with no bloods showing thyroid probs for at least 12 months. I ate a very low calorie diet (lower than now) very high in veggies moderate protein/carbs only brownrice occasional pasta and rye/spelt bread,
Since being on Thyroxine (this hasnot made me feel better or less tired btw)have lost 17 kilos.
I eat more calories and fat now than I ever did.

Sometimes hypo just does not turn up in blood tests. Good luck!

Lillybelle

Yes, Gary, I love the structured water so much, and my family and I have experienced so many amazing benefits already, that I signed up for free with a distributor to be an independent consultant (as I mentioned in an earlier post). Patrick is so generous, and cares so much about his mission to hydrate humanity, that he gives his Water Ambassadors a generous percentage if anyone purchases a device from him due to hearing about it from the WAs. Gotta love that! It would be wayyy too much work for me to sign up as a Distributor myself!

@Judy
Structured Water Review by scientists
http://worldwidescam.com/viberealscience2.htm

Lillybelle

I agree with Martial that paleo diet is mainly about avoiding toxins, anti-nutrients and allergens, as well as avoiding spikes in blood sugar. But paleo doesn't have to equal (very) low carb. There is convincing evidence that people in paleo times ate tubers, and that we really need to have carbs for optimal health.

I recommend the Perfect Health Diet for anyone with chronic illness. I have started this diet about a month ago, and things are going well. It is basically a paleo diet with starches (white rice, potatoes, tubers). The starches are not only necessary to sustain energy, but also to feed your microbiome. Without fermentable starches, you will end up with gut dysbiosis.

Although this board is not crawling with diet threads, we do have a few good ones. The resistant starch thread contains very valuable information about diet, and I recommend everyone to read it.

This is likely to be controversial but interesting.

This video by TEDX features Christina Warinner
gives balance to the Paleo diet being the ultimate for modern man/women. How close is the Paleo diet prescribed now to what was really eaten then.
The answer not much.
Published on 12 Feb 2013

TED Fellow Christina Warinner is an expert on ancient diets. So how much of the diet phad the "Paleo Diet" is based on an actual Paleolithic diet? The answer is not really any of it.

Dr. Christina Warinner has excavated around the world, from the Maya jungles of Belize to the Himalayan mountains of Nepal, and she is pioneering the biomolecular investigation of archaeological dental calculus (tartar) to study long-term trends in human health and diet. She is a 2012 TED Fellow, and her work has been featured in Wired UK, the Observer, CNN.com, Der Freitag, and Sveriges TV. She obtained her Ph.D. from Harvard University in 2010, specializing in ancient DNA analysis and paleodietary reconstruction.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Justy I'm very familiar with Dr Myhill's site and Im sure she has tested you for hypothyroidism. All I can say is I was really sick with it and cfs with no bloods showing thyroid probs for at least 12 months. I ate a very low calorie diet (lower than now) very high in veggies moderate protein/carbs only brownrice occasional pasta and rye/spelt bread,
Since being on Thyroxine (this hasnot made me feel better or less tired btw)have lost 17 kilos.

Hi Lillybelle, I had a trial of thyroxine with Dr Myhill a few years ago. It unfortunately made me much worse and I GAINED weight on it. Last year was diagnosed by Dr Skinner with Hypo by symptoms not just bloods. Tried Armour thyroid which made me feel better at first and then crashed really badly and have not got back to the level I was at before last summer unfortunately. We now know my adrenals are not working well, low cortisol, low DHEA. cant tolerate the DHEA supplements. didn't lose any weight on armour, but didn't gain any either. Since coming off I have gained another half stone, despite dieting. I am hoping KDM can help me with all of this when I go to see him in May.

thanks for the reply, and glad it has at least helped with the weight issue for you.

Radio

Last edited:

Ayaju

@Lillybelle It's just not true. Most of science hasn't caught up with the science of energy. Structured water is all about changing the energy of water.

Let's not forget that once upon a time science said that it was impossible for machines (planes) to fly!

Judy

xchocoholic

If you're avouding gluten, rye and spelt aren't allowed. There's a well known connection for celiac and thyroid problems. I have Hashimoto's BUT my thyroid numbers have never been so far out of range that medication was recommended. It was offeered tho and I tried it, synthroid? And felt horrible.
Avoiding gluten and goitrogens helps me. Tc .. x

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I'm finding that I do better eating foods that contain water or juice than I did drinking water, juice, etc. Of course if I'd had access to coconut water 24/7 that would be ideal.

I've been eating 2-5 oranges or tangerines daily for the last few months and I'm not chronically dehydrated like I was when drinking 8-10 glasses a day of water, juice, etc. Those didn't solve the problem. They just made me want more.

Tc .. x
Maybe the foods contain minerals that help maintain your electrolyte balance and blood volume.

Little Bluestem

I was trying to say that I NEED to spike my glucose if I'm exerting myself. I can't physically or mentally keep up any other way.

For ex I won't remember what washers I put laundry soap in or which dryers I'm using. Doing laundry wipes me out. Sugar keeps me more alert.

As you can imagine I was relieved when I finally figured this out.

I only do this when I'm exerting myself. Sugar spikes make me feel horrible if my body isn't needing it.
Are you sure that your blood sugar is spiking when you consume extra sugar because you are exerting yourself? If you cells are using the sugar, then your blood sugar may not go up.

xchocoholic

Are you sure that your blood sugar is spiking when you consume extra sugar because you are exerting yourself? If you cells are using the sugar, then your blood sugar may not go up.

It's definitely going up because I feel better immediately. I called it spiking because it's a quick rise but I probably not getting it as high as most diabetics see. My highest when on the mad was 80? and I felt horrible. So it looks like I have to work to keep it up.

I don't know why but sometimes I can do this several times in a row and sometimes I can't.

I'm weird. Tc .. x

xchocoholic

Btw. When researching this I saw that Diabetics are told to
eat something sweet before
exercising. I just apoarently run out of available glucose quickly and can't generate enough on my own if I'm physically active.

It's possible my body sends out the wrong msg too since I have OI/pots.
And that's why actually bringing my glucose level up dorsn't always work after I've used it once.

I'm sure anyone with hypoglycemia who needs to rause their blood glucose can relate to what I'm saying.
It helps to have first hand experience in symptoms.

Tc ... x

Little Bluestem

It's definitely going up because I feel better immediately. I called it spiking because it's a quick rise but I probably not getting it as high as most diabetics see.
If it is returning to a (near) normal level after falling, I would call that recovering. ;)

Have you tried eating sugar or carbs before, and maybe during, periods of exertion? It would probably be better for your body if you could prevent the blood sugar drop in the first place.