• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GM-CSF is used to stimulate recovery of the immune system after damage by cancer treatment.

Ema

Wonder if this drug could reduce production of antibodies against other diseases as well???

Is this the same thing as GC-MAF??

Rebalancing the immune system:

Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system mistakenly attacks the part of the muscle fiber that receives signals from the nerve fiber.

Myasthenia gravis occurs when the immune system makes antibodies that destroy the ACh receptor (AChR), a docking site for the nerve chemical acetylcholine (ACh). Some treatments block acetylcholinesterase (AChE), an enzyme that breaks down ACh, while others target the immune system. GM-CSF may modulate the immune system and reduce production of antibodies against the AChRs.

In MG, the immune system attacks acetylcholine receptors, the docking sites for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine activates muscle fibers at the neuromuscular junction, the place where nerve and muscle fibers meet.

The usual treatments for MG include drugs to increase levels of acetylcholine and drugs to suppress the immune system. Immunosuppressive drugs have toxic side effects, so it's desirable to minimize the dosage and duration of their use. Another treatment, plasmapheresis, is sometimes used to filter out antibodies that attack the receptors.

The experimental compound’s name, GM-CSF, stands for granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor.

A drug based on GM-CSF, sargramostim (brand name Leukine), has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use following chemotherapy or bone marrow transplantation for blood-cell cancers. In these circumstances, GM-CSF is used to stimulate recovery of the immune system after damage by cancer treatment.

In MG, the goal is to use GM-CSF to rebalance the immune system by stimulating proliferation of regulatory immune system cells that dampen an immune response, thereby moderating an immune system attack on acetylcholine receptors.

Meriggioli and colleagues have found that GM-CSF appears to mobilize immune regulatory cells and suppress disease symptoms in a mouse model of MG.

http://quest.mda.org/news/mda-awards-grant-test-potential-mg-treatment

user9876

There is a similar drug called G CSF which also promotes the growth of granulocytes including neutrophils.
I believe it does causes raised IL17, which I think Lipkin was reporting as raised in ME, but I'm not sure. It can produce flu like symptoms including joint aches and a mild fever (in healthy people, its used to stimulate cell growth in granulocyte and bone marrow donors). It also has an effect on the stem cells in the bone marrow making them easier to kill off during chemo therapy as well as helping get them going as the bone marrow regrows.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

Ema

I could be very wrong but I thought I saw it at $1300 for 5 weekly injections.

Or you could have neutropenia and a Porsche. LOL.