• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Active B12 Protocol Basics

knackers323

Hi @Freddd I have been doing methylation for a while now and as far as I know I have had no need for potassium or magnesium yet.

Does this mean I haven't yet got methylation going and need to increase dosages?

Anyone know the answer to this?

Last edited:
Hello Freddd

I haven't been here in a while and wanted to know if you could give me an update on your protocol. I really don't have the brain power to go through all the post. thanks so much

whodathunkit

Hello Freddd

I haven't been here in a while and wanted to know if you could give me an update on your protocol. I really don't have the brain power to go through all the post. thanks so much

LeeAnn, I'm new here and fresh on reading a lot of stuff. I can't speak knowledgeably on everything like titrating and what-have-you but I can speak to the currently recommended brands of Freddd's "Deadlock Quartet", some of which haven't been updated on Eric's otherwise excellent "How I recovered" site.

The most effective "deadlock 4" as of right now:
  • Enzymatic Therapy methylcobalamin 1mg sublingual
  • Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex (adenosylcobalamin) (splt up powder in capsules and use gradually since each cap is 10,000mcg of adb12 and 10mg might be too much all at once)
  • Doctor's Best L-carnitine Fumarate (855 mg)
  • Solgar Folate (as metafolin) (800mcg)
Hope that helps a little. Just figuring out the current brands recommended was confusing to me, since that info kind of got mixed in with all the other dialogue here.

nomad

Anyone interested in a London Support group?
Which B-complex are people using/recommending? I was using Jarrows B-Right but now concerned because it says it contains Folate (from folic acid and QUATREFOLIC (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt)

Last edited:

nomad

Sea

LeeAnn, I'm new here and fresh on reading a lot of stuff. I can't speak knowledgeably on everything like titrating and what-have-you but I can speak to the currently recommended brands of Freddd's "Deadlock Quartet", some of which haven't been updated on Eric's otherwise excellent "How I recovered" site.

The most effective "deadlock 4" as of right now:
  • Enzymatic Therapy methylcobalamin 1mg sublingual
  • Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex (adenosylcobalamin) (splt up powder in capsules and use gradually since each cap is 10,000mcg of adb12 and 10mg might be too much all at once)
  • Doctor's Best L-carnitine Fumarate (855 mg)
  • Solgar Folate (as metafolin) (800mcg)
Hope that helps a little. Just figuring out the current brands recommended was confusing to me, since that info kind of got mixed in with all the other dialogue here.

Just an update to your update ;)
Apparently the Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex has had a recent maunufacturing change and is now a tablet rather than a capsule. Some bottles of capsules may still be available but I would expect new orders to be mostly tablets now.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Hello Freddd

I completely agree. This protocol is scattered over dozens of threads and hundreds of individual posts. It's a complete and utterly incomprehensible mess at this point.

I tried it a couple of years ago and it seemed to work but I ran into some issues. I was hoping to try it again, as it seems that Fred's made several important refinements that I would like to experiment with, but I seriously can't get a handle on it anymore. There are just too many scattered posts to track down, with discussions of the basic supplements, titration, potassium, folates, changing brands of B12, the "Deadlock Quartet" and various other details.

Eric's site does a fairly decent job of pulling it all together but it appears to be a bit out of date.

Seems to me that the best approach might be for Fred to edit the original post, with the updated information, or just start a new thread and keep it updated by editing a single master post, as opposed to having to search for updates that are spread out all over the entire forum.

Perhaps there should be a community effort to pull all the info together in one location.

Sorry Fred, I don't mean to be critical of your methods, and I appreciate all the time you've invested and everything that you are doing for the community, but the protocol has become virtually impossible to grasp at this point... and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Last edited:

nomad

Having a wiki would make it very quick and easy to update. I might be able to help in this respect, if I can muster enough energy :)

whodathunkit

Just an update to your update ;)
Apparently the Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex has had a recent maunufacturing change and is now a tablet rather than a capsule. Some bottles of capsules may still be available but I would expect new orders to be mostly tablets now.

I saw that on here Tuesday somewhere! Thanks for pointing it out here, sea. I hope the new product is still as good as the capsules.

Interestingly, I just got my order from iherb like last week, and I got capsules. When I get over being sick it might be worth calling Anabol Naturals to find out if they've changed their plans for a complete switch. I like the capsules...the fact that they are a powder, plus they have no taste at all.

Hello,

I started taking methylcobalamin and methylfolate 20 days ago, and I will start L-carnitine Fumarate and adenosylcobalamin asap.

But I wonder if I'm not deficient in B6 despite the 25mg from the b-complex because I have most of the symptoms related to a deficiency.

Would it be wise to try to supplement with 200mg/day for a short period of time to see the results? Thanks

Hello Freddd

I second this motion! I have been jumping around reading various threads and getting thoroughly confused. I've been trying to follow the protocol for about 2 months, and then ran out of mb12 so after a week of stopping both b12s and cutting back on folate, I'm actually feeling slightly better than I had been (based on @Freddd's symptom list, I'm guessing was a combination of potassium and folate deficiency).

Now that my iherb shipment has arrived, with all of the recommended brands for the deadlock quartet, I plan to essentially start over tomorrow morning. I think I will start with 5 mg mb12 and 5 mg adb12. The main question I have is, how much Methylfolate should I start with? Does it matter whether you take it all at once or spread over the day? And by what amount each day do I titrate up if I feel I need more? Do I increase the folate in proportion to the b12s? I understand I should hold off on the l carnitine for now until I sort these 3 out.

Also, what is a reasonable amount of potassium (citrate) to take at one time, or per day? I seem to remember reading that you can't take too much, am I right? I know Freddd recommends potassium gluconate (?) but I have a few bottles of potassium citrate to get through and it doesn't seem to bother my stomach. I understand potassium should be taken apart from folate, but does it interfere with anything else? I think I read magnesium perhaps?

I'm out of b-complex so any recommendations on what I should look for in terms of minimums (and maximums) for each component? I understand no folic acid, but have seen a lot of confusing stuff about too much of this and that in terms of other b vitamins, which seem to have a lot of different names, adding to my confusion! How essential is the b complex at the beginning? Do I hold off restarting until I get a good b complex? What are some hidden forms of folic acid, by the way, to be avoided?

Many thanks for all your help!! I really have been reading a lot on the forum, although I know my questions are very basic, but so much of it I just don't understand. My brain is quite foggy most days. Thanks again.

Update to my previous post. And more questions!

How long should I wait between titrating each of the supplements if I don't notice a discernible effect? Is there a cumulative impact I should wait for? Do I titrate the b12 before the folate if I notice no negative symptoms?

Today was my first day restarting the protocol after a week "off" (ran out of b12). I took 5 mg each of adb12 and mb12, 1 hour after one metafolin 800 mcg, all in the morning, and then I took 500 mg potassium citrate both morning and evening, as well as magnesium and fish oil. Need to stock up on zinc and others tomorrow. I had been taking 10 mg of the b12s before, but was having some symptoms on group 2 and 3 so thought I should dial it back.

Felt good yesterday and this morning before restarting. Other than a mild headache (and a nose that seems runnier than usual), that started at about exactly 15 minutes in to dissolving the b12s, not noticing many other effects so far. Wondering if I should increase the folate to deal with the headache or would that be premature? Also not sure how long I stay at this b12 level once I sort out the folate. Is it best to spend a couple of weeks at each increment of the b12s before moving up?

Hi,
I've searched for the sublingual enzymatic therapy b12 and not having any luck. all I see is chewable. Can someone tell me where to buy this ? Thanks :)

whodathunkit

This information is originally posted in the thread by @Freddd titled “Symptoms By Deadlock Quartet and other nutrients” http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/symptoms-by-deadlock-quartet-and-other-nutrients.27482/ on Jan. 9, 2014.

Again, @Freddd is the author of the information below; I’m just posting it in this sticky thread because IMO it’s important enough not to have it sink to deeper layers of the forum again.
  1. SYMPTOMS LIST
    Version 2 - 01/09/2014

In this post this is a list of symptoms that are mine, and others experience of these nutritional items in relieving their symptoms, and in a very few instances reflect research and successful practice, such as p5p for Hcy and Liver extract studies of several disorders in old journals. In some instances the same symptoms might have different combinations of nutrients.

These symptoms responded almost entirely or entirely to, with basics 5 star MeCbl – methylcobalamin – Methylb12 - Mb12 - Mecobl . Many started improving in hours. Others took 9 months to correct.

morning joint stiffness and pain
    paleness
    acid reflux
    nausea
    daily vomiting
    standing with eyes closed, lose balance
    hands feel gloved with loss of sensitivity - glove anesthesia
    feet feel socked by loss of sensitivity - stocking anesthesia
    glove and stocking anesthesia
    neuropathic bladder
    unable to release bladder, mild to severe
    unable to fully empty the bladder
    fecal incontinence - occasionally to frequently
    diminished hearing - gradual onset or present for life, sudden return possible
    tinnitus - ringing in ears
    always feeling cold
    intolerance to loud sounds
    intolerance to multiple sounds
    sleep disorders
    non restorative sleep
    Night terrors
    Prolonged hypnagogic or hypnopompic states transitioning to/from sleep
    Sleep paralysis
    alteration of touch all over body, normal touch can be unpleasant and painful
    alterations and loss of taste
    taste hallucinations
    smell hallucinations
    sound hallucinations
    visual hallucinations
    alterations and loss of smell
    loss of smell and taste of strawberries specifically
    loss or alteration of smell and taste of potato chips specifically
    roughening and increased raspiness of voice, mb12 can smooth voice in mid word
    blurring of vision - can be sudden onset and sudden return
    Visual impairment can be seen; ophthalmological exam may show bilateral visual loss
    optic atrophy
    centrocecal scotomata
    hypersensitivity/intolerance to bright light
    intolerance to loud sounds
    intolerance to multiple sounds
    burning muscle pain
    diminished hearing - gradual onset or present for life, sudden return possible
    tinnitus - ringing in ears
    sore burning tongue
    This is a list of symptoms that are mine, and others experience of these nutritional items in relieving their symptoms, and in a very few instances reflect research and successful practice, such as p5p for Hcy and Liver extract studies of several disorders in old journals. In some instances the same symptoms might have different combinations of nutrients.

These symptoms responded strongly first to 5 star MeCbl and then Metafolin with basics. Many started improving in hours. Some took 7 years to correct.

Bursitis
    stomach not emptying
    frequent vomiting
    acid regurgitation
    dyspepsia
    flatulence
    altered bowel habits
    abdominal pain
    loss of appetite for meat, fish, eggs, dairy, the only b12 containing foods
    nutrient specific anorexia
    intermittent constipation
    intermittent diarrhea
    irritable bowel syndrome
    sores, ulcers and lesions along entire GI tract or any part
    anorexia
    Bulimia
    Hypersensitivity to touch
    Hypersensitivity to odors
    Hypersensitivity to tastes
    Hypersensitivity to clothing texture
    Hypersensitivity to body malfunctions, symptoms
    Hypersensitivity to sounds and noises
    Hypersensitivity to light and visual stimuli
    Hypersensitivity to blood sugar changes
    Hypersensitivity to internal metabolic changes
    Hypersensitivity to temperature changes
    burning bladder (no UTI)
    painful urgency (no UTI)
    burning urethra (no UTI)
    Low blood serum level - below 550pg/ml, Japanese Standard
    elevated MCH (Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin)
    elevated LDH
    big fat red cells (when said this way usually with happy or healthy modifying it completely misinterpreting results of MCV
    platelet dysfunction, low count
    white cell changes, low count
    hyper segmented neutrophils
    headaches
    inflamed epithelial tissues - mucous membranes, skin, GI, vaginal, lungs
    inflamed endothelial tissues - lining of veins and arteries
    mucous becomes thick, jellied and sticky
    asthma
    chronic cough that mimics asthma but isn't
    chronic sinus congestion
    dermatitis herpetiformis, chronic intensely burning itching rash
    frequent infected follicles or acne type lesions all over body
    chronic infections, many varieties possible
    Seborrheic dermatitis
    dandruff
    eczema
    dermatitis
    skin on face, hands, feet, turns brown or yellow if anemia occurs
    poor hair condition
    thin nails
    transverse ridges on nails, can happen as healing starts
    mouth sensitive to hot and cold
    sore burning tongue
    beef-red tongue, possibly smoother than normal
    sore mouth, no infection or apparent reason
    teeth sensitive to hot and cold
    canker sores

with p5p added

Elevated blood serum Hcy, borderline or higher

These symptoms responded relatively partially first to 5 star MeCbl and then very strongly to Metafolin with basics. Many started improving in hours. Some took 7 years to correct.

splits/sores at corners of mouth -angular cheilitis
    impaired white blood cell response
    poor resistance to infections
    easy bruising
    pronounced anemia
    macrocytic anemia
    megablastic anemia
    pernicious anemia
    decreased blood clotting
    MCV > 93 first warning,
    MCV > 97 alert
    MCV > 100 outright macrocytosis
    MCV > 105 urgently needs treatment, severe problem

Plus Vitamin E
    Child with neural tube defects

mother of child with neural tube defect

These symptoms responded not at all first to 5 star and then very strongly to Metafolin with basics. Many started improving in hours. Some took 7 years to correct.

lack of dreaming
    macrocytic anemia
    metallic taste in mouth
    Widespread body & muscle pain responding to NSAID
    Joint pain responding to NSAIDS

impaired white blood cell response
    poor resistance to infections
    easy bruising
    pronounced anemia
    macrocytic anemia
    megablastic anemia
    pernicious anemia
    decreased blood clotting
    MCV > 93 first warning,
    MCV > 97 alert
    MCV > 105 urgently needs treatment, severe problem
    Plus Vitamin E, Child with neural tube defects
    mother of child with neural tube defect

These symptoms responded not at all first to 5 star and then very strongly to Metafolin with basics. Many started improving in hours. Some took 7 years to correct.

lack of dreaming MCV > 100 outright macrocytosis, macrocytic anemia
    metallic taste in mouth
    Widespread body & muscle pain responding to NSAID
    Joint pain responding to NSAIDS
    Sexual related symptoms, both men and women – These responded with the most response to lesser responses in order to MeCbl, Metafolin (l-methylfolate), AdoCbl, L-carnitine fumarate

reduced libido - loss of sexual desire
    loss of orgasmic intensity
    unsatisfying orgasms
    inability to orgasm
    loss and/or change of genital sensations
    burning genital skin sensation
    unable to feel aroused
    numb genital skin
    low sex hormonesMEN
    In order of response – MeCbl, AdoCbl

low testosterone men
    In order of response – MeCbl, Metafolin, AdoCbl, L-carnitine fumarate
    erectile dysfunction men
    In order of response – MeCbl, Metafolin, AdoCbl
    low sperm count
    poor sperm motility
    Poor sperm quality
    no sperm
    WOMEN
    In order of response – MeCbl, AdoCbl

low testosterone
    low estrogen
    In order of response – MeCbl, Metafolin, AdoCbl, L-carnitine fumarate
    post partum depression
    post partum psychosis
    In order of response – MeCbl, Metafolin, AdoCbl
    Frequent miscarriage
    In order of response – MeCbl, Metafolin
    False positive pap smears, defective cells
    menstrual symptoms

Approximate timing of my startup of individual items that being considered here, this gives a quite distinctive pattern for each nutrient or set of nutrients:
    Others mentioned similar patterns and variations.

1.Initially – MeCbl
    2.+5 months 400mcg SAM-E
    3.+ 4 months AdoCbl
    4.+ 3 months titrate +50mg zinc
    5.+4 years 400mcg Metafolin
    6.+1 year LCF
    7.+ 1 month TMG 1000mg/day
    8.30mg MeCbl injections (3 or 4) daily,
    9.+0 Reduce SAM-e to 200mcg
    10.+ 4 years remove TMG
    11.+6 months increase SAM-E to 800mcg
    12.Next 1 year titrating Metafolin and finding all the reasons I get folate insufficiency, early partial methylation block by effect.

These symptoms are what responded very well to CNS penetrating doses of MeCbl either as 50mg sublingual single 4-5 hour dose or 4 x 7.5mg or 3 x 10mg or for some 2 x 15mg subcutaneous MeCbl injections. Metafolin in some way enhances retention of AdoCbl and MeCbl with excretion visibly decreased. A sublingual dose of 1-2 tablets each hour added for 12 hours appears to generate substantial CNS penetration as well.

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl – Metafolin – Omega-3 oils

Elevated CSF Hcy
    Low CSF cobalamin
    limbs feel stiff
    Drowsy

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl
    dimmed vision - usually not noticed going into it because change can be very slow or present for life
    Clumsiness

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl - Metafolin

Slow to adapt to night vision

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl – Metafolin – LCF

Difficulty in word finding

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl – Metafolin – Omega-3 oils

Brainstem or cerebellar signs or even reversible (with mb12) coma may occur
    demyelinated areas on nerves
    Subacute combined degeneration
    axonal degeneration of spinal cord
    unsteadiness of gait
    ataxic gait, particularly in dark
    positive Romberg
    positive Lhermittes
    Loss of motor control over some or all of toes
    Loss of motor control over part or all of feet
    Loss of sense of joint position
    sudden electric like shocks/pains shooting down arms, body, legs shooting down from neck movement
    sudden "ice pick" pain
    decreased reflexes
    brisk reflexes
    Foot Drop
    tripping over toes
    injuring toes catching top of toes on floor
    general feeling of weakness
    Approximate timing of my startup of individual items that being considered here, this gives a quite distinctive pattern for each nutrient or set of nutrients: 03/04/13 Version 1.1
    1.Initially – MeCbl
    2.+5 months 400mcg SAM-E
    3.+ 4 months AdoCbl
    6.+1 year LCF
    10.+ 4 years remove TMG
    12.Next 1 year titrating Metafolin and finding all the reasons I get folate insufficiency, early partial methylation block by effect.

These symptoms are what responded very well to L-carnitine fumarate AND AdoCbl for the first two items

L-carnitine fumarate – AdoCbl – Metafolin - MeCbl

weight loss involuntary
    muscular atrophy
    exercise does not build muscle

L-carnitine fumarate – Metafolin – AdoCbl - MeCbl

weight gain, watery fat
    edema
    Congestive heart failure

L-carnitine fumarate – AdoCbl – MeCbl – Metafolin

mild to extremely severe fatigue
    continuous extremely severe fatigue
    easy fatigability
    severe abnormal muscle fatigue up to and including apparent paralysis leading to death
    weakness
    muscle pain especially around attachment points to bones
    Eighteen severely tender muscle spots of FMS

AdoCbl – L-carnitine fumarate

exercise debilitates for up to a week, making things much worse
    accumulating muscle pains following exertion
    sore muscles throughout body
    lack of muscle recovery after exercise
    High urinary MMA

AdoCbl – L-carnitine fumarate – Metafolin

Elevated CSF MMA
    Elevated uMMA
    Approximate timing of my startup of individual items that being considered here, this gives a quite distinctive pattern for each nutrient or set of nutrients: 03/05/13, Version 1.1
    1.Initially – MeCbl
    2.+5 months 400mcg SAM-E
    3.+ 4 months AdoCbl
    6.+1 year LCF
    10.+ 4 years remove TMG

MeCbl - AdoCbl – L-carnitine fumarate – Metafolin

shortness of breath
    oxygen hunger
    heart palpitations
    edema
    congestive heart failure

MeCbl - AdoCbl – L-carnitine fumarate

extremely sore neck muscles reversing normal curvature of neck
    painfully tight, stiff muscles, especially legs and arms
    frequent muscle spasms anywhere in body
    weak pulse

MeCbl - AdoCbl

Confusion
    Disorientation
    Difficulty in word finding

MeCbl - AdoCbl - Metafolin

irritable
    depression
    SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder
    mental slowing
    personality changes
    chronic malaise
    poor concentration
    moodiness
    tiredness
    mood swings
    memory loss
    listlessness
    impaired connection to others
    mentally fuzzy, foggy, brainfog
    dizziness - even unable to walk
    Vertigo

MeCbl – Metafolin – AdoCbl – L-carnitine fumarate

psychosis, including many of the most florid psychoses seen in literature, megaloblastic madness
    Alzheimer's
    delirium
    dementia
    paranoia
    delusions
    hallucinations - multisensory
    anxiety or tension
    nervousness
    mania
    Widespread pain throughout body

A caution, those with anxiety and panic symptoms may respond with extreme moods of increased fear, anxiety, panic, anger rage, homicidal rage and profound depression, usually in repeatable sequences following LCF or ALCAR even at levels of 1mg oral. A micro titration of carnitine would be cautious. While most find the moods intolerable, certain persons have been able to tolerate these (both past) and current, to find they can fade after some months of consumption. A few people may find similar, maybe somewhat lesser, response to MeCbl or more likely AdoCbl. As these are less controllable than LCF which can be micro dosed, they should be considered first.
Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

whodathunkit

This is the second post by @Freddd in the thread titled “Symptoms By Deadlock Quartet and other nutrients” http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/symptoms-by-deadlock-quartet-and-other-nutrients.27482/

Again, @Freddd is the author of the information below; I’m just posting it in this sticky thread because IMO it’s important enough not to have it sink to deeper layers of the forum again.

THE COMPLETE METHYLATION REVIEW

This is new overview towards which I was working with Rich before his sudden death. There were holes in each of our hypotheses, which we both pointed out to each other and which often came down to “insufficient data” and insufficient understanding. I reviewed some of the raw data from Rich’s study, and reanalyzed it, and we discussed the holes therein, how it fit the symptoms questionnaire patterns and the questions thereby raised. I think we both succeeded in keeping each other more on target. I miss our correspondence and discussion. He knew far more biochemistry and such than I do and was much better at finding explanations for things that repeatedly occurred. I’m a data analyst, not a biochemist. On saying that, I must also point out that Rich was not a systems analyst. He did not adapt well to the changing ideas and like many researchers was defending prior works and ideas.

UNRAVALING THE MYSTERY

Sometimes major scientific misunderstanding or non-understanding acquires great standing and unwarranted belief creating a mystery.

The System is Corrupt

“Gentlemen, get this straight. The police are not here to cause disorder. The police are here to preserve disorder.” Mayor Daley, 1968 Democratic convention police riot.

Deficiency vs. Insufficiency - B12 and folate deficiencies manifest in very dose proportionate ways. There are no sharp cutoffs until one gets to 100% needed dose or zero. In the list of the folate deficiency symptoms under many names, some people might have mood effects before they have IBS, some might never have angular cheilitis, but what does happen is that there are several different groupings of symptoms that tend to appear together. There are approximately 4 or 5 layers of symptoms that appear to come on relatively independent of each other in a progressive manner and dependent upon relative deficiencies of the Deadlock Quartet and 7 or so other critical cofactors and even basic essentials.

So in an extreme folate deficiency body wide inflammation would be present with lots of joint and muscle pain, MCS. Allergies and asthma come in somewhere but it can vary. The greater the insufficiency the more symptoms and the worse the symptoms are. While any of the insufficiencies can cause the same symptoms they cause them in different groupings at different rates and extents. It is necessary to remove all the b12 insufficiency symptoms to expose all the remaining methylfolate insufficiency symptoms. That is how it happens in the titrations. Endless words and time has been wasted disagreeing as to “absolute deficiency” vs “functional deficiency” and what it means, if anything, for therapy. The idea of an absolute deficiency in either of these is ridiculous. MeCbl and AdoCbl have dose proportionality in the 1mcg to 10,000 mcg range or more and L-methylfolate has dose proportionate characteristics from 1 to 32,000mcg at least. As the level of folate/b12 function approaches zero the last symptom in the progression is paralysis of the diaphragm or heart failure followed shortly by death. Everything short of that is a summation of successive insufficiencies starting with 1 symptom and increasing up to several hundred symptoms and signs generally before diaphragm paralysis or heart failure and death.

The old idea of “absolute” deficiency was based on low enough levels of b12 to cause Pernicious Anemia. Then other lesser symptoms then were not really deficiency but rather “functional deficiency” caused by some other lack. This was based on CyCbl or HyCbl only partially helping some dozens out of the hundreds of symptoms the active b12s and folate affect. So the 0.01-1% effectiveness of HyCbl and CyCbl, and the poor or even negative effectiveness of folic acid, has skewed the understanding of cobalamins and folate. That whole idea fought against the natural effectiveness of the active AdoCbl, MeCbl and L-methylfolate as some kind of aberration of “forced” healing as opposed to “normal” healing of HyCbl which turns out to be the starvation survival mode.

Instead it now looks like the “fallback starvation” mode of limited healing of HyCbl and CyCbl versus normal fully effective healing of the active natural b12s somehow has become sacrosanct through 60 years of skewed research. The excellent first rate healing of real b12 became the aberration as the abnormal limited starvation mode became “normal”. This is exactly what has happened with blood test results. The normal of red cell MCV < 93 has been displaced as MCV < 100 or even MCV < 102 has become “normal” as acceptance of starvation mode as normal spreads and becomes “normal”. Many other blood measures are also affected and in those the abnormal has become the new “normal”. At the point that deficiency symptoms have taken over test results to the point of making the abnormal test results become normal, the system has been corrupted. The test results ranges as now defined are set to maintain deficiency and illness as the norm. The tests now serve to maintain disorders.

Many other tests, in fact all the ones that might be affected by methylation and ATP availability, are biased now to support a set of chronic deficiency states that have become the norm by invading our food supply. Our biochemistry evolved over hundreds of millions of years. Somewhere very early on in our evolution bacteria started producing MeCbl and/or AdoCbl. Somewhere along the way they became the normal cobalamins for all animal life on this planet, just as hemoglobin (iron based) became the oxygen carrier system in animals. Nature is a tough master. Anything that can’t make it dies. Given 300,000,000 years we could have evolved to use HyCbl or CyCbl if that is what the whole lineage of micro and macro animals had evolved with it. It would have had full effectiveness if we had so evolved. However we didn’t evolve that way. We didn’t have billions and billions die from inability to use it effectively. We didn’t pay that price. However, we are now paying that price, completely unnecessarily at that. We have a significant portion of our population with untreatable chronic diseases.

WHY DON’T HyCbl AND CyCbl WORK WELL?

So when asked why don’t HyCbl and CyCbl work well it’s because they are not what our biochemistry evolved to use over hundreds of millions of years starting before mammals even existed. We did evolve a starvation mode of survival in which some of the previously used cobalamins that had become unusable throwaway forms after MeCbl breaks down or detoxifies cyanide and reclaim them. As with other work around methods it isn’t very effective and it doesn’t provide enough active cobalamins to do any major healing but it is enough to stay alive during a famine or a bad winter. It does require the presence of some reduced amount of each MeCbl, AdoCbl, l-methylfolate and l-carnitine fumarate to provide the needed biochemistry to fuel the conversion, allowing the body to tread water for a while.

WHY ARE THERE ALL THESE COBALAMIN A, B, C, D, ETC DISEASES?

These are the cataloging of all the ways our bodies didn’t evolve to use HyCbl and CyCbl. These gene variations never got culled out of us by disease and death in a natural environment. Those that had these enzymes might survive starvation better as they can use some trace cobalamins, but not enough difference to cull out those that don’t. General starvation isn’t selective enough. So many people don’t have the enzymes needed to transform trace cobalamins that the body creates from MeCbl for special purposes or post use or breakdown products, to recycle them for a workaround for starvation for a while. Some have even suggested that the lethargy of metabolic shutdown (seasonal CFS) achieved by AdoCbl/MeCbl starvation allowed early humans to survive long winters of semi starvation with very low food requirements substituting for true hibernation or winter sleep.

WHY DOESN’T FOLIC ACID WORK WELL FOR EVERYBODY?

When the same questions are asked about folic acid the same answers arise. If it were food it would be “stale” and spoiled. It’s too oxidized. It is to l-methylfolate as flaxseed oil is to linoleum. We never evolved to use that. It’s no wonder that nobody can convert enough folic acid to fulfill all folate requirements. It’s no wonder 20% can’t convert it at all, 30% can convert limited amounts and about 50% can convert up to about 800mcg daily of folic acid which is not as much as the body needs to heal. We never evolved to use it. 60 years of usage since it’s invention hasn’t killed the billions yet that would allow evolution to adapt to folic acid.

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE FIND FOLINIC ACID UNUSABLE?

Folinic acid is another matter. It is the natural folate of most vegetables. It is a handicap not to be able to use vegetable folate but lots of people can survive on the animal form of folate. It is a handicap to not be able to digest milk as an adult. Adults can do fine without milk and cheese. It is a handicap not to be able to utilize gluten, a protein in some grains. There are lots of alternatives to gluten. Milk as an adult food is a recent arrival on the scene. Grain containing gluten as a dietary mainstay is a more recent arrival on the scene. 10,000 years more or less hasn’t been long enough to for humans to fully genetically adjust. However, some populations have evolved to be able to drink milk as adult. Most people in the world can’t digest milk as adults. I “should” be able to digest milk as “should” my ex-wife. We both come from northern long term dairy drinking white folks. Neither of us can do so. Chances are our children won’t be able to either. I miss it but I sure don’t miss the digestive problems. Fortunately gluten gives me no problem at all. On these variables like adult milk and gluten, 10,000 or 20,000 years or whatever isn’t enough for a population to fully adapt. For vegetable folate, even 400,000,000 years hasn’t been long enough for 100%. However, I can use the natural animal form of folate, L-methylfolate or I wouldn’t be alive to write this as can 100% of people. Vegetable folate is an “also” or a biological workaround. However it is amply effective for the majority of persons. Some tribes evolved on high meat diets for a long time and some did not.

In a normal software system after too many generations of changes it becomes unmaintainable and needs to be reconceptualized and redesigned. A college I went to in the 1960s had brand new physics and chemistry buildings both with standard air pressure, humidity and temperature. The only thing not standardized was local gravity. That standardization has NEVER been done in nutrition with all the active natural forms of the vitamins. What we have standardized on are CyCbl , HyCbl and folic acid. We are reaping the results, with all these rapidly increasing neurological, metabolic, neuro-psyc diseases and generally poor health with lots of symptoms and no treatments that actually work. Even worse is that these symptoms and diseases have become the “norm” as these fake vitamins are in many foods. I eat almost no white flour products, no fortified products, no corn syrup, minimal trans-fats and almost no processed foods. I avoid folic acid and CyCbl like the poisons they are to me. Instead I take the natural forms in sufficient quantity to allow my damaged body to function.

Rich’s number one objection to what I first presented was that IT, whatever IT is, was widely happening and could not because of genetic inability to use HyCbl. He placed a lot of emphasis on the vanishingly small percentage of people that have the lettered cobalamin “diseases”; Cobalamin A, Cobalamin B, Cobalamin C and other such diseases. He was partially correct. The lettered diseases are terribly rare and were only invented (recognized) because of CyCbl and HyCbl. In the absence of these two oxidized inactive cobalamins none of these genetic conditions (“diseases”) would have been found. They were found because infants being given formula with CyCbl had failure to thrive. In fact they were starving to death rapidly because of a lack of the MeCbl, AdoCbl and l-methylfolate found in milk (at first) and basically all foods of animal origin that instead had soy milk with corn syrup and inactive oxidized artificial folic acid and CyCbl or HyCbl vitamins instead of the animal based forms.

Carmen Wheatley’s “Giant Gorilla … Adenosylcobalamin …” (free download, don’t miss it http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Carmen_Wheatley/publications/ ) article couldn’t have said it more plainly. It looks like the NATURAL effectiveness of the natural active forms of cobalamin is radically greater than HyCbl and CyCbl (I’ve said 100 to 10,000 times more effective for 9 years) and that the body being able to use HyCbl at all is a starvation workaround. It is the ALTERNATE pathway when starving to death that will barely maintain life but not health. Cobalamin A, B, C, D, E, etc are highly technical deficiency diseases lacking enzymes to convert one form to another, that only become visible when inactive cobalamins are substituted for active ones during man-made starvation of active cobalamins. There is a deadlock here too, as ATP is absolutely needed to power those enzymes. To make the ATP one MUST have some working AdoCbl and l-carnitine fumarate in the mitochondria already and some methylation capacity (MeCbl and l-methylfolate). In other words, those lettered diseases are also the result of the laboratory mistake that said that CyCbl was the real thing. In a “natural” environment they almost don’t exist. The only ones that do exist naturally relate to interconversion between AdoCbl and MeCbl and eating a mix makes that unimportant. Further they, the inactive forms, can only be converted to active forms if one has sufficient of the active forms to make the enzymes and energy for the conversion in the first place.

We never went through the culling that would evolve us to use folic acid, CyCbl and HyCbl because they don’t exist in natural foods. All we ever achieved is a workaround pathway that salvages a minimum amount of usable cobalamins from the otherwise unusable cobalamins when the supply of fresh cobalamins runs out. We are being culled right now. MS, ME, FMS, CFS, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, Autism, Supra nuclear Palsy, IBS, Neuropathies, Subacute combined degeneration, reproduction failure, congestive heart failure, endothelial inflammation and failure, early death from a multitude of causes, all part of these manmade mystery diseases. They are the result of systematic starvation of the body of three absolutely needed vitamins with <1% effective oxidized (spoiled) pseudo vitamins substituted. This is the 21st century equivalent of Scurvy, Pellagra and Beriberi all rolled into one. Food when it is oxidized becomes spoiled, stale and rancid, not supporting health. Folic acid, CyCbl and HyCbl are all forms of concentrated food (vitamins ) that are oxidized, spoiled, rancid, stale and not supporting of health. Would you eat linoleum instead of fresh salad oil? It’s just oxidized edible oil. Sure, it keeps better but is it nutritionally the same? How about a nice meal of tanned leather instead whole roast pig? The leather keeps lots longer. But it isn’t the same when it comes to eating.

Our children are suffering tremendously with these manmade diseases. I grew up in the 50s and 60s. I NEVER even heard of or saw a single child with ADD or AHDH or any of these many neurological disorders of children. Yes, we had Osgood Schlatter’s disease and Mono, mumps, scarlet fever, measles and chicken pox, anorexia was very rare and nobody at all had CFS or FMS. I see it all the time in pre-teens and teens now. There were NO children “stimming”. Now it can’t be avoided. You just didn’t see it then. I was in a lot of homes and saw all the children. Autism was extremely rare, not rarely recognized. Parkinson’s was rare. MS was rare. All these neurological diseases were rare. And don’t tell me it was because people died so much younger. Life expectancy at 65 in 1937 before antibiotics was just 3-4 years less than it is today, with lots of smokers at that time. It was life expectancy before age 5 or 10 that changed mostly. Now it is possible that all of us sick folks were the ones that would have died without childhood antibiotics and so we are being culled later. However, it appears more likely that the damage to the immune system that made us sick and needing antibiotics originally was caused by paradoxical folate deficiency to folinic acid which now expanded to include folic acid and CyCbl and/or HyCbl in ALL formulas and fortified cereals etc.

So, chasing down all these cobalamin “diseases” is fruitless, a waste of money and effort since they don’t exist or don’t matter if everybody gets the real vitamins. Rich convinced me that I was barking up the wrong tree theoretically (not pragmatically, 2 different things as I was getting excellent results, I GOT WELL). If these genetic variations are too rare to be making so many people so sick then what is doing so? That answer is complicated.

Rich was correct in calling what he was looking at “partial methylation block”. It is a partial block. Rich was looking at only the lowest level of the blockage, the folate-Cbl level. This is the most visible level of DNA-RNA transactions using MeCbl and l-methylfolate. The body, using the active transport system of transcobalamin has its own triage methods for supplying MeCbl and AdoCbl to various tissues. It can transport a few 10s of mcg per day to various tissues which is far more than the typical 5mcg or so eaten and absorbed. Rich said that using huge doses of MeCbl was “forcing” activity. Along the way he did say that he didn’t think that 1mg of oral or sublingual MeCbl was huge or forcing. However since MeCbl has a rather dose proportionate response range but was unmapped, it was some vague amount like 10mg injections. There were all sorts of wild ideas of how the active b12 protocol “ought” to be applied. So now, Wheatley has identified the “radically” more effective AdoCbl as the natural normal path and the HyCbl path as a barely working workaround for starvation in the control of inflammation.

end part 1