• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WHy Sleep when you can EST: Military study "shocks" troops awake

leela

Kill me now.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...e-operators/V8ZG5DEYze4lCoGlloq14H/story.html

The study, which also relied on control groups that drank coffee or nothing at all, found that those who did not receive one of several types of brain stimulation “performed significantly worse than any of the stimulation groups,” according to the findings.

The Air Force Research Laboratory has conducted five separate studies, each costing about $200,000, shared by the Air Force, Army, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

“We are beyond the proof-of-concept phase,” McKinley said. “We are working on something that would be easy to apply that you could potentially field.”

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
mm not sure what to make of it for us.

I wonder how well they slept after being shocked awake for longer then they would normally have been awake for??

I wish they could shock us to sleep, i think i would prefer that ??? maybe???

taniaaust1

Using shocks to keep their personal awake... I guess just shows how much defence forces care about the ones who work for them health.

At least one study has shown that ones immune system goes down with less then a week of poor nightly sleep.

For decades what is known more broadly as electroconvulsive therapy carried a stigma — due in large part to early treatments that administered large doses of electricity to psychiatric patients without anesthesia, often causing memory loss, fractured bones, and other serious side effects.

But such therapy now relies on carefully controlled doses of electrical current, which are passed into certain regions of the brain to cause, in effect, a minor seizure, or more rapid nerve impulses. Some of the techniques have been embraced by the National Institute of Mental Health, the American Psychiatric Association, and the US Surgeon General as a valuable tool to treat various psychiatric disorders, especially major depression.
But research into its effects on healthy subjects remains limited.

“There is some evidence that it does seem to work,” said Dr. William “Scott” Killgore, an assistant professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School who specializes in the mental health treatments. “There have been a few studies that if you use it in the right place it can help mathematical calculations when people are sleep-deprived.”

Anyone want to bet that this will be trialed on those who have ME/CFS? .. "sleep deprived" people. How long before the defence force does a trial of electric shock treatment on its GWS people. (I refuse to call them that new name.. I suggest all boycott it).

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
But such therapy now relies on carefully controlled doses of electrical current, which are passed into certain regions of the brain to cause, in effect, a minor seizure, or more rapid nerve impulses.
Dr. Cheney thinks that CFS is a minor seizure disorder, so I would think that electrical shocks would just make it worse.

How long before the defence force does a trial of electric shock treatment on its GWS people. (I refuse to call them that new name.. I suggest all boycott it).
To boycott it, we would first have to remember it. I doubt that many of us do. o_O