• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating CBS Mutation

Hi Minks,

I would recommend you consider getting sulfite and sulfate urine test strips to see whether your mutations are causing a sulfur problem and to track your progress treating it. It will cost about $70 on Amazon.com

I think the most important step is a low sulfur or low thiol diet. I only did it for a week, but that was enough to get my test strips registering in the 200-400 range for sulfates. It turned out my sulfites weren't low.

The theory that the CBS mutation causes a 10x upregulation comes from a misreading of the research. It may not be as bad as you think.

Still, some people do have sulfur problems, and it's good to know if you do or don't. I don't know why anyone would treat CBS if they don't have sulfur problems...but that could be my ignorance. Oh, I guess maybe it would be for ammonia.

To find Yucca and ornithine recommendations for treating CBS, there is the Heartfixer website: http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#CBS: Cystathionine Beta Synthase.

I successfully used the recommendations under "Energy Production will falter", even though I didn't have sulfur or ammonia problems. So I didn't use the yucca, and I didn't use the ornithine because my ornithine was already too high.

Best of luck to you!

Critterina, Is there different post that shows how you figured out that the CBS mutations don't cause a 10X upregulation? Or can you direct me somewhere else?

Critterina

Critterina, Is there different post that shows how you figured out that the CBS mutations don't cause a 10X upregulation? Or can you direct me somewhere else?
There sure is, and I wish I could find it. A bunch of people on this forum read the research and discussed it. I have looked a few times and couldn't find it. I have considered asking a moderator to help me find it again, but haven't got to it yet. If you do that, please post a link to that post here. I'll bookmark it next time.

Adlyfrost

No idea - all I know is that CBS C699T, and the CBS gene in general, are pretty well excluded from causing sulfur problems :D

That is good news. (CBS C699T +/+) I eat tons of sulfur foods with little problems and most low sulfur foods would kill me- grains, seeds beans- no can do! Give me some cabbage, onions and garlic!!! Where did you hear this @Valentijn?

Last edited:
That is good news. (CBS C699T +/+) I eat tons of sulfur foods with little problems and most low sulfur foods would kill me- grains, seeds beans- no can do! Give me some cabbage, onions and garlic!!! Where did you hear this @Valentijn?
It's in the published research regarding that specific SNP.

I got my 23andMe results and I have CBS C699T and CBS A360A mutation.

From what I've read, I need to address this before I start methylation.

The information says to take high doses L-Ornithine. So how high is high. It also recommends Yucca root.

Can someone advise me on how to deal with this?

I have an appt Sept 19 with my regular doc so I'm going to have her do a UAA, then in October I'm going to see a doctor who does Yasko's protocol. I'd like to get going on this before that since it appears it takes months to fix CBS mutation.

Thanks

Minks

Please when you respond only type 2 sentences in a row. Any more than that and i can't read it.

Thanks very much

I read this whole thread and I am afraid I see some confusion and incorrect statements.

Without knowing your other SNPs in the methylation pathway, any recommendation on how to treat a CBS mutation is ill advised.

Whether or not a CBS mutation will cause over-sulfuration will also depend on other SNPs, like MTHFR, BHMT, and MTR/MTRR. The combination of mutations will cause varying levels of sulfur and homocystine.

I have homozygous CBS C699T (+/+). I HAD terrible sulfite and sulfur sensitivities because I also am Homozygous MTHFR A1298C and homozygous MTRR A66G AND homozygous BHMT-08. YIKES! I was not turning my homocystine back into methionine and so a lot of homocystine was being funnelled quickly down my transulfuration pathway.

When I started taking B12 and 5-MTHF I would get symptoms like I ate too much sulphites. When I add PLP (pyridoxine 5 phosphate) and Molybdenum those symptoms vanish.

I can now eat high sulphur foods and have no rhinitis, brain fog, or fatigue.

To say that a homozygous CBS mutation does not matter cannot be substantiated at this time.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11745-001-0678-8#page-1

In my own N=1 experiment, it matters tremendously.

A homozygous CBS mutation could be a good thing because, if homocystine is damaging to the body (the science is still out, but I think any imbalance leads to health issues), this mutation turns the homocystine into something less harmful.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1897-4287-12-2.pdf

A CBS +/+ mutation might also use up a lot of Serine.

Last edited:

Adlyfrost

I read this whole thread and I am afraid I see some confusion and incorrect statements.

Without knowing your other SNPs in the methylation pathway, any recommendation on how to treat a CBS mutation is ill advised.

Whether or not a CBS mutation will cause over-sulfuration will also depend on other SNPs, like MTHFR, BHMT, and MTR/MTRR. The combination of mutations will cause varying levels of sulfur and homocystine.

I have homozygous CBS C699T (+/+). I HAD terrible sulfite and sulfur sensitivities because I also am Homozygous MTHFR A1298C and homozygous MTRR A66G AND homozygous BHMT-08. YIKES! I was not turning my homocystine back into methionine and so a lot of homocystine was being funnelled quickly down my transulfuration pathway.

When I started taking B12 and 5-MTHF I would get symptoms like I ate too much sulphites. When I add PLP (pyridoxine 5 phosphate) and Molybdenum those symptoms vanish.

I can now eat high sulphur foods and have no rhinitis, brain fog, or fatigue.

To say that a homozygous CBS mutation does not matter cannot be substantiated at this time.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11745-001-0678-8#page-1

In my own N=1 experiment, it matters tremendously.

A homozygous CBS mutation could be a good thing because, if homocystine is damaging to the body (the science is still out, but I think any imbalance leads to health issues), this mutation turns the homocystine into something less harmful.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1897-4287-12-2.pdf

A CBS +/+ mutation might also use up a lot of Serine.

Fascinating! What are your high sulphite symptoms? I just got my genes back (see below) and trying to learn how this CBS mutation affects MTHFR.

Fascinating! What are your high sulphite symptoms? I just got my genes back (see below) and trying to learn how this CBS mutation affects MTHFR.

The rhinitis (nasal swelling with no mucus) is the strongest and quickest sign for me that I am overdoing my transulphuration pathway. Weirdly enough it usually only effects my left sinus, my cortisol symptoms can raise a bit as well giving me heart palpitations. Later on I get the fatigue and my mood gets a bit aggressive and depressive.

You really can't depend on my symptoms though, watch yourself after eating high sulphur foods. Also, MAO and COMT mutations could change how transulphuration pathway excess is expressed from my understanding. (mood disorders)

Adlyfrost

Also, MAO and COMT mutations could change how transulphuration pathway excess is expressed from my understanding. (mood disorders)

That is what I don't get... how does CBS interact with my +/+ MAO A and other stuff? Going to doc in two weeks- hopefully get some answers then.

Because I don't notice a big deal with just high sulphur foods- just about all foods cause me inflammation. If it is sulphur, what to do? Some sulfur foods have too many health benefits to give up like cruciferous and garlic. So can I take yucca and charcoal or something to counteract this? The reason I ask is because most LOW sulphur foods like grains and beans are EXTREMELY detrimental to me so if I eliminate too much there would be nothing left for me to eat!

Also, what about high ammonia? Not to be gross, but I have had that from time to time strong ammonia during menses accompanied by worsening... flooring actually, chronic fatigue, nausea, feeling sick. Years ago I was convinced I had porphyria because of constipation, sun sensitivity and ammonia smell. But my urine was never purple. I tried citrulline malate and thought I had found my cure until I got these scary panic attacks where my mind and heart would not stop racing and had to stop.

So I know ammonia could be a problem. Is this related to CBS?

That is what I don't get... how does CBS interact with my +/+ MAO A and other stuff? Going to doc in two weeks- hopefully get some answers then.

Because I don't notice a big deal with just high sulphur foods- just about all foods cause me inflammation. If it is sulphur, what to do? Some sulfur foods have too many health benefits to give up like cruciferous and garlic. So can I take yucca and charcoal or something to counteract this? The reason I ask is because most LOW sulphur foods like grains and beans are EXTREMELY detrimental to me so if I eliminate too much there would be nothing left for me to eat!

Also, what about high ammonia? Not to be gross, but I have had that from time to time strong ammonia during menses accompanied by worsening... flooring actually, chronic fatigue, nausea, feeling sick. Years ago I was convinced I had porphyria because of constipation, sun sensitivity and ammonia smell. But my urine was never purple. I tried citrulline malate and thought I had found my cure until I got these scary panic attacks where my mind and heart would not stop racing and had to stop.

So I know ammonia could be a problem. Is this related to CBS?

yes, CBS has everything to do with ammonia:

image004.jpg

First, the term "Sulphur Rich Foods" is thrown around a lot without understanding of what it means and I do the same, unfortunately, only because it is not so clear to me yet as it is only a recent focus. It is more complicated than people give credit. You need to know what form of sulphur you have an issue with. This is for another day. Just do not worry about sulphur so much, focus on fixing the pathway.

So we see if someone's CBS and SUOX are homozygous we have a back up the the middle there. So you have more ammonia and more coritsol. With more cortisol (stress) you release more nor-epinephrine (fight or flight). If you have a COMT mutation you have norepinephrine staying around too long and all the flight and fight that goes along with that.

I have no idea why you took citruline for ammonia, I guess to push the urea cycle. My own opinion: I think the biggest mistake to make is to supplement with amino acids. I see amino acids as bricks and enzymes as workers. To build a building faster you don't add more bricks, you add more workers, unless you do not have enough bricks. Bricks are easy to get and they do not complain as much as workers.

So I think it might have to do with your SUOX gene. Maybe. Do you know if you have any mutations there?
If you do not know what your SUOX mutations are, log into 23andme and click the following link, let m know what you see: https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/gene/?gene_name=SUOX

I am pretty sure my SUOX is normal.

Adlyfrost

yes, CBS has everything to do with ammonia:

So we see if someone's CBS and SUOX are homozygous we have a back up the the middle there. So you have more ammonia and more coritsol. With more cortisol (stress) you release more nor-epinephrine (fight or flight). If you have a COMT mutation you have norepinephrine staying around too long and all the flight and fight that goes along with that.

I have no idea why you took citruline for ammonia, I guess to push the urea cycle. My own opinion: I think the biggest mistake to make is to supplement with amino acids. I see amino acids as bricks and enzymes as workers. To build a building faster you don't add more bricks, you add more workers, unless you do not have enough bricks. Bricks are easy to get and they do not complain as much as workers.

So I think it might have to do with your SUOX gene. Maybe. Do you know if you have any mutations there?
If you do not know what your SUOX mutations are, log into 23andme and click the following link, let m know what you see: https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/gene/?gene_name=SUOX

I am pretty sure my SUOX is normal.

According to genetic genie I have no suox mutations. Here is what the link you posted told me on 23andme:

GenePositionSNPVersions
tDUzbsKxhbx38E4erKnZ5A_triad-right.gif
SUOX56391486rs705703C or T
CC

SUOX56397916i5000977A or C
AA

SUOX56397941i6028286C or T
CC

SUOX56398711i5000976A or G
AA

I'm guessing that means no mutations?

This was years ago before 23andme and before I knew about CFS. I thought I had porphyria (I don't but was desperate for an answer to health problems). I was trying to reduce ammonia. Also took methionine but not sure if that helped or not. Very interested what you think to take if not bricks/aminos.

According to genetic genie I have no suox mutations. Here is what the link you posted told me on 23andme:

GenePositionSNPVersions

I'm guessing that means no mutations?

This was years ago before 23andme and before I knew about CFS. I thought I had porphyria (I don't but was desperate for an answer to health problems). I was trying to reduce ammonia. Also took methionine but not sure if that helped or not. Very interested what you think to take if not bricks/aminos.

Yeah, I think that means no mutations. So this is interesting. More later when I look at some things.