• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyldation Analysis results?

So I finally got my 23andme data and eagerly ran it through Genetic Genie. The abundance of red and yellow alarms me. So I did some research, or as much as I could through my brain haze and figured out enough that I need methylated B12 and folate, but not much else that I can do. So am I stuck with bad genes, or is there anything else I can do here in terms of supplementation? Would appreciate some help interpreting this
Here are the "bad" results, filtered the -/- stuff

Methylation Analysis
Gene Result
MAO A R297R +/+
MTHFR A1298C +/+
MTRR A66G +/+
COMT V158M +/-
COMT H62H +/-
VDR Bsm +/-
VDR Taq +/-
MTR A2756G +/-
BHMT-08 +/-
CBS C699T +/-
CBS A360A +/-

Here is the original image because the above looks ugly
qXEgC.jpg

Detox profile, know even less what to do with this.
wsfQ1.jpg

Sea

Keep in mind that most of these variations are extremely common so I wouldn't call your genes bad.

Your methylation snps do indicate that you could find some benefit from B12 and methylfolate. There's nothing else there in your methylation panel that is really significant, except that I really don't know anything about the MAO one.

For the detox panel snpedia and wikipedia are both good sources of information.
The CYP2D6 gene is important in detoxing a lot of medications, but that one snp doesn't give us enough information to determine our variation type. The S486T substitution occurs (with a frequency of around 40%) in several variants, some have normal function and some have partial function.

http://snpedia.com/index.php/CYP2D6

Valentijn

Thanks for the reply. When you say common, do you mean among people w/ cfs or in general?
MTRR A66G, for example, is +/+ for 28% of europeans and and 14% of the general population. Hence it's not exactly disease-causing or malfunctioning. It's just a common variation which functions in a manner which is less than ideal, and might contribute to other problems.

Valentijn

So this is useless essentially and i shouldn't do anything about it?
I wouldn't say that. Just that most of those SNPs have a minor impact, and some with a major impact (like MTRR A66G, with 3-4x reduction in enzyme activity) aren't disease-causing. However, it does represent something functioning somewhat poorly, which might get aggravated by other health problems, or create a situation which various pathogens, etc, might be able to exploit.

I have the same mutation, and taking hydroxoB12 makes an impact on a few of my symptoms. It doesn't cure me. My mother has the same mutation, and isn't sick, but feels a bit better when taking B12.

There are also more interesting ways to use 23andMe results, aside from the Yasko/Geneticgenie interpretation of a few SNPs. For example, we've got a downloadable program at http://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ which you can use to generate a list of your rarest SNPs. Then you can look those up elsewhere to see if they're known to be disease causing, etc, or what problems they might cause.