• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing "Die-Off" Symptoms

Christopher

So I've been experimenting lately with adding pre and probiotics (RS/Bifido) and am having a reaction in my gut as well as chemical sensitivity, which I'm guessing may be because of the increased toxic load emenating from my gut (whether this is good or bad I don't know).

Charcoal seems to help this feeling, but I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and can give advice. I'll also be trying Glucomannan, which is a fiber a friend recommended.

Ema

You really need to know what's growing in your gut before doing a lot of experimenting with probiotics. If you add more of what you already have an overgrowth of, you can end up with more symptoms than you had before. I think a stool analysis is a good place to start.

http://www.healthlinkpartners.com/testkits/images/test-pdf/Comprehensive Stool Analysis.pdf

Also, some probiotic strains are histamine producing and others are histamine degrading which may also provoke symptoms.

Prebiotics can often cause gas and bloating.

Most doctors now almost always feel that herxing needs to be managed and not just suffered through as a path to fewer infections. Sometimes that means backing off the dose, taking breaks, or using other meds and supplements to mitigate symptoms.

Some things people find helpful are Vit C, Epsom salt baths, CSM, and burbur.

Christopher

You really need to know what's growing in your gut before doing a lot of experimenting with probiotics. If you add more of what you already have an overgrowth of, you can end up with more symptoms than you had before. I think a stool analysis is a good place to start.

http://www.healthlinkpartners.com/testkits/images/test-pdf/Comprehensive Stool Analysis.pdf

Also, some probiotic strains are histamine producing and others are histamine degrading which may also provoke symptoms.

Prebiotics can often cause gas and bloating.

Most doctors now almost always feel that herxing needs to be managed and not just suffered through as a path to fewer infections. Sometimes that means backing off the dose, taking breaks, or using other meds and supplements to mitigate symptoms.

Some things people find helpful are Vit C, Epsom salt baths, CSM, and burbur.

I agree that suffering through the herx is foolish. My gut is already producing toxins and it seems since I started this experiment it's gotten worse.

Soundthealarm21

I agree with @Ema you should have stool analysis done first.

Here are things that help me with detox:

Managing levels of drugs so as not to push too hard

Turmeric

L-Theanine

GABA

Bentonite Clay

Charcoal

For me I use Vitamin C, Epsom Salt Baths, and CSM as potent detoxifiers creating their own side effects. I don't use them to mitigate symptoms, they are powerful enough to create their own. Especially CSM (Cholestyramine).

Just my two cents!