• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

isocort supplement.

physicsstudent13

I didn't notice a big energy change with prednisone and it has some serious side effects, like it may kill neurons in the hippocampus. is there any risk that hc will cause atrophy or you will become dependent on it, some people do become dependent on it after taking it and no endo has ever prescribed it to me

Ema

The issue with cortisol isnt in the adrenal glands themselves even though they make cortisol. But the issue is in the brain/hypothalamus which send the messages to the adrenals to make more cortisol.
I've been reading a lot on this again in the past few weeks and I'm thinking now it is not just a hypothalamus problem (though that certainly could be the case) but it might be a CBG or other binding globulin problem causing cortisol resistance.

Interestingly enough, glucocorticoids increase cAMP

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7931278/

which may be another reason some find them useful, in addition to correcting a low cortisol state.

It also goes along with my high adenosine theory because high adenosine decreases cAMP.

Ema

I didn't notice a big energy change with prednisone and it has some serious side effects, like it may kill neurons in the hippocampus. is there any risk that hc will cause atrophy or you will become dependent on it, some people do become dependent on it after taking it and no endo has ever prescribed it to me
The doses of prednisone shown in those studies are FAR above what would be used as a physiological dose in humans for HPA dysfunction.

Here is a study showing neuronal damage:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12425433

The human equivalent dose would be 55 mg of pred a day...or the equivalent of 272 mg of HC. This is a pharmacological dose, not a physiological one.

I would not worry about your neurons or hippocampus at a physiological dose.

I took HC at physiological doses (<40 mg/day) for 2.5 years and my adrenal function came back when I weaned. I still have the same adrenal issues (most likely due to a family history of Addison's) but it did no permanent damage to my adrenals.

Would you call an diabetic dependent on insulin? Well, yes, but it's not exactly a bad thing considering they need it to live. Similarly, cortisol is a vital part of the immune response.

That said, prednisone makes me depressed and looking for the nearest oven to stick my head into...but HC and dex work just fine for me. Finding the right steroid and dose is a matter of trial and error and is not as easy as one would hope. It causes many people to write off the treatment because of an early failure that might be corrected by changing dose or steroid form.