• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Goodness Direct will deliver free for orders over £35, and they have a lot of healthy stuff, e.g. organic and gluten-free, They have something they call potato starch here.

They also have some other flours which may be of benefit here.

That product has 98g of carbs per 100g which means, as I understand it, that it's not resistant potato starch but cooked potato flour (the terms don't seem to be used very precisely in the food industry). The one you're looking for has 80g carbs per 100g.

If you can find one via Goodness Direct, they also stock tiger nuts, which everyone has been raving about on Free the Animal:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi...l/196963_Goodness_Tiger_Nuts_Peeled_250g.html

anne_likes_red

So, even with Psyllium added, you need to take a dose of PS that overwhelms the bacteria at the proximal end of the large intestine, so that the RS moves past them towards the distal end, where you really need it for SCFAs to be produced. That's why the enema approach is believed to be so effective (few people have tried it, besides Spanish Caravan). It delivers the PS where it needs to go and instantly starts SCFA production.

Really nice clear description of the objective there Ripley. :)

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
That product has 98g of carbs per 100g which means, as I understand it, that it's not resistant potato starch but cooked potato flour (the terms don't seem to be used very precisely in the food industry). The one you're looking for has 80g carbs per 100g.

If you can find one via Goodness Direct, they also stock tiger nuts, which everyone has been raving about on Free the Animal:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi...l/196963_Goodness_Tiger_Nuts_Peeled_250g.html

Just searched Amazon UK for 'resistant starch' and found this. iHerb says it's corn-based and resists digestion in the small intestine.

Amazon UK also has Bob's Red Mill, Finely Ground Potato Flour, which it says elsewhere is dehydrated whole potato.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just searched Amazon UK for 'resistant starch' and found this. iHerb says it's corn-based and resists digestion in the small intestine.

But it's £25 for 500g! Kockens is £1.30 per 500g!

Amazon UK also has Bob's Red Mill, Finely Ground Potato Flour, which it says elsewhere is dehydrated whole potato.

That's the wrong product - the resistant starch is Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch. The flour has been cooked, which destroys the resistant starch.

It would be worth getting a friend within Ocado's catchment area (any big city, probably) buy you several packets and mail it to you from elsewhere in the UK. Or email Kockens and ask if they will ship it to you from Sweden.

Hi Sasha,
Thanks for your reply(another link)...I have just checked again on the ocado link that you provided.The minimum order is 40£....not cheap!Then there is postage on top of that.I'm still looking for a supplier in UK...or online providing it is not so expensive..Has anyone found such a supplier!....Thanks..

Hi Abha,

I came across a mention of Island Sun Farina in a comment on Richard Nickoley's blog - http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/narrative-dreaming-resistant.html#comment-547613.

I found it on sale in the Caribbean section of a big Tesco store yesterday at 40p per 500g. Hopefully it's legit potato starch. Perhaps someone here can say if it's not.

According to this link - www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/flour/island_sun_farina_potato_starch_500g.html - Asda may also sell it.

Francis

resistant starch feeds only bifido or lactocabillus too?because i want increased gaba and i have read lactocabillus increase gaba

brenda

What l can't understand is why rs is said to be zero calories when it produces SCFA's?

Abha

Abha
Hi Abha,

I came across a mention of Island Sun Farina in a comment on Richard Nickoley's blog - http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/narrative-dreaming-resistant.html#comment-547613.

I found it on sale in the Caribbean section of a big Tesco store yesterday at 40p per 500g. Hopefully it's legit potato starch. Perhaps someone here can say if it's not.

According to this link - www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/flour/island_sun_farina_potato_starch_500g.html - Asda may also sell it.

Francis

Hi Francis and others,

Thanks for your input re trying to buy potato starch in UK.Hopefully, I'll crack it soon.
I'm not interested in USA corn(starch) as most of it is GMO...and in USA last year, GMO potatoes accounted for 4% of US production. This year, it may be almost none(from Crop Choice).China banned US corn last year as it was genetically modified.If you wish to use GMO products be aware!!!

Last edited:

anne_likes_red

Abha I have a Dutch grocery shop near me and I found inexpensive potato starch on the shelf. The brand stocked here (NZ) is "Honig" so maybe that one or some equivalent is available in the international section of your local supermarket?? I haven't shopped in a UK supermarket for some time so I don't know if there would be such a section!! Wishful thinking? :)
I've seen the Honig brand referred to as raw resistant starch on a blog written by someone in the Netherlands who's been following Tatertot's adventures.. I think a lot of PS is made in the Netherlands, with high starch potatoes grown there for that purpose for some time.

Abha

Abha
Abha I have a Dutch grocery shop near me and I found inexpensive potato starch on the shelf. The brand stocked here (NZ) is "Honig" so maybe that one or some equivalent is available in the international section of your local supermarket?? I haven't shopped in a UK supermarket for some time so I don't know if there would be such a section!! Wishful thinking? :)
I've seen the Honig brand referred to as raw resistant starch on a blog written by someone in the Netherlands who's been following Tatertot's adventures.. I think a lot of PS is made in the Netherlands, with high starch potatoes grown there for that purpose for some time.
Hi anne_likes_red,

Thanks for your reply and thanks to others too...I finally decided on the Honig brand that you mentioned.I bought it from the site below.....good enough price but shipping everywhere adds to the cost...Thanks..

http://dutchexpatshop.com/en/food/meals/dutch-cuisine/honig-potato-starch.html

Ripley

FYI, this brand is certified as non-GMO:

http://www.ener-g.com/potato-starch-flour.html

Despite the name, I believe they claim it's pure potato starch. I think I've seen that brand in Whole Foods. As always, easiest way to tell is to put it in a glass of water and see if sinks even after a little mixing. Then heat it up and see if it gels. If so, that's potato starch.

There has been 30-40 years of research on RS — and hundreds of studies — so a lot is known about it.

In any case, the starch enema (described above) should bypass any issues you have. It would instantly turn on SCFA production at the source, and those SCFAs would inactivate and/or kill yeasts/pathogens — that's what they do!

Ripley

DNA testing is fairly recent and microbiologists have only recently (relatively) begun to investigate intestinal flora (probably mostly becasue they're running out of Phd theses) so I don't think we have 30-40 years of the type of research we need. I would investigate enemas carefully given the lack of stomach acid to sterilize anything you put in them.

I think this is worth trying (I did), but it's not going to be the answer for everyone. I'm not the only one that's had this experience so there's at least one variable that has not been researched yet.