• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could methylation be harming my sensitive liver?

[
Hi Freddd, thank you for this. What sort of liver damage did you have? Did you go ahead with starting methylation whilst your liver was damaged? I am concerned that going ahead with the deadlock quartet, which I really want to do, will cause more problems for my liver. But then I feel that if I don't go ahead - clearly I would go very slowly - my liver will deteriorate. It is a Catch 22. I am unable to take anything to support liver apart from Chanca Piedra as I am so sensitive and also because a lot of things that may help eg SAMe react badly because I am so poor at methylating.I know that I need to get it all ging with B12 and methylfolate....had a go about a month ago and had 2 good days then woke up feeling frighteningly toxic with horrible mood effects too. I think , having read your posts, that this may have been folate deficiency and that I should have upped the dose of folate - or b12 - but at the time I was scared to carry on as didn't want to cause more damage. Is there any evidence to show that it is OK - or not - to take B12 and folate with a poorly liver??. Coffee enemas were good for a while but I think I triggered too much glutathione which then made me start reacting badly to them. Have had issues with potassium on and off since then and defo when I tried the folate and b12.
Whatever the outcome of my appointment with the liver doc is I will still be dependent upon self help as I cannot tolerate medications at all due to poor methylation and poor functioning liver.......and, sadly, have also lost faith in the mainstream medicine world. It is them who put me here!!

All input gratefully received.

Thank you. Mels

Freddd

[
Hi Freddd, thank you for this. What sort of liver damage did you have? Did you go ahead with starting methylation whilst your liver was damaged? I am concerned that going ahead with the deadlock quartet, which I really want to do, will cause more problems for my liver. But then I feel that if I don't go ahead - clearly I would go very slowly - my liver will deteriorate. It is a Catch 22. I am unable to take anything to support liver apart from Chanca Piedra as I am so sensitive and also because a lot of things that may help eg SAMe react badly because I am so poor at methylating.I know that I need to get it all ging with B12 and methylfolate....had a go about a month ago and had 2 good days then woke up feeling frighteningly toxic with horrible mood effects too. I think , having read your posts, that this may have been folate deficiency and that I should have upped the dose of folate - or b12 - but at the time I was scared to carry on as didn't want to cause more damage. Is there any evidence to show that it is OK - or not - to take B12 and folate with a poorly liver??. Coffee enemas were good for a while but I think I triggered too much glutathione which then made me start reacting badly to them. Have had issues with potassium on and off since then and defo when I tried the folate and b12.
Whatever the outcome of my appointment with the liver doc is I will still be dependent upon self help as I cannot tolerate medications at all due to poor methylation and poor functioning liver.......and, sadly, have also lost faith in the mainstream medicine world. It is them who put me here!!

All input gratefully received.

Thank you. Mels

HI Mels,

I had elevated enzymes that worried my doctor for about a year. I stopped all APAP and switched to pure oxycodone from #4 codeine with APAP. It took about 2 years for my liver to return to normal. That was 11 years before I took MeCbl. Every system in the body deteriorates when the person is in methyltrap and ATP trap. The live CAN'T do its work without both forms of B12. It contains about half of the body's total b12, MeCbl and AdoCbl as working b12.

I don't think SAM-e should be tried until after the deadlock quartet is all started and working and balanced unless one fails to get methylation startup. Then SAM-e will accomplish that causing low potassium and/or low folate and making a person feel quite sick. I have no experience with most forms of liver damage and not during methylation and ATP startup. Without that startup however nothing is likely to heal in my opinion.