• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lower legs feel swollen after sitting upright for long periods?

Whenever I'm well enought to sit upright at a desk for an extended period (which for me is more than one hour) my lower legs feel swollen and tight, and I notice that my feet look very slightly puffy. If I then sit in a reclined position on the sofa the effect goes away.

This has only ever happened since I became ill. Is it an ME thing? Any idea what causes it?

taniaaust1

having coexisting POTS with the ME can cause this...as the blood with that often pools in the legs. The legs also can get a flushed kind of look with this blood pooling thing.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Whenever I'm well enought to sit upright at a desk for an extended period (which for me is more than one hour) my lower legs feel swollen and tight, and I notice that my feet look very slightly puffy. If I then sit in a reclined position on the sofa the effect goes away.

This has only ever happened since I became ill. Is it an ME thing? Any idea what causes it?

Yes, as Tania says, this is probably blood pooling and is common in ME/CFS patients. This can be caused by several forms of dysautonomia, not only POTS.

A "quick fix" (that doesn't get to the root of the problem though) is using compression knee socks, thigh-highs or full compression tights. I use compression knee socks every day. I have some that are mostly cotton and are very comfortable and prevent the pooling.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Thanks for the info guys. I was worried I had yet another condition to worry about :D I'll check out those compression socks.

Iquitos

The same thing happens to me. My solution is to lie down for 10-20" every couple of hours. Seems to make me urinate soon after, as well.