• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

dmholmes

gluten destroys gut lining in all people?or only in people with allergiew sensitivities?because i dont feel any stomach problem with gluten foods.

Gastrointestinal damage is only one area damaged. For example, I had nocturnal panic attacks until I stopped eating gluten. In addition to intestinal and stomach damage. I believe most of the gastrointestinal damage would be to the small and large intestine, not to the stomach even though it was giving me gastritis.

Thinktank

Dr. Fasano et al believe gliadin can't be digested properly by anyone, thus causing intestinal damage by release of zonulin. Something about not having the right enzyme for digestion.
I read one of his papers during a long international flight last month but forgot the details of it. Just google fasano gliadin and you'll find tons of research.

Gestalt

Do you suffer from post-exertional malaise? This seems usually to include gut problems which, if they are the basis for this illness, will likely lead to (perpetuation of) the other problems.

Just wondered what your activity level is in the numerical terms used on PR. I suspect that few of us would feel that gym-type exertion was wise for ourselves.
I lift weights so it's not an aerobic type of endurance, it has more to do with muscle & liver glycogen stores and response. And no I don't get post-exertial malaise. I feel better than I have all week.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I lift weights so it's not an aerobic type of endurance, it has more to do with muscle & liver glycogen stores and response. And no I don't get post-exertial malaise. I feel better than I have all week.

Have you ever had post-exertional malaise? Sorry to be nosy, but it could be important, as many of us (and some definitions of ME/CFS) consider PEM to be a symptom that distinguishes ME/CFS from similar illnesses.

Gestalt

Have you ever had post-exertional malaise? Sorry to be nosy, but it could be important, as many of us (and some definitions of ME/CFS) consider PEM to be a symptom that distinguishes ME/CFS from similar illnesses.

Only with intense Aerobic exercise...maybe.. The day after I pump iron I feel even more amazing due to the Super-compensation glycogen effect where glycogen stores are increased 150% above normal baseline levels enhancing my energy and well-being. :)

dmholmes

Only with intense Aerobic exercise...maybe.. The day after I pump iron I feel even more amazing due to the Super-compensation glycogen effect where glycogen stores are increased 150% above normal baseline levels enhancing my energy and well-being. :)

Doing some carb backloading with that?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Reading the freetheanimal posts I found a guy that was having digestive issues taking RS orally, but overcame that using enemas and only then noticed a really improved sleep, and also what he describes as a full battle in his gut. He tried that because of his leaky gut and nightsade intolerance, Just posting it here in case someone that is having too much side effects orally or just wants to avoid potatoes wants to try. I´ll do for sure.

Rand56

I've worked my way up to doing 4 teaspoons a day and I'll keep working my way up to 4 tbsp. a day. The only additional flatulence I had was at lower doses and it wasn't really that much extra at all. I've been doing 4 teaspoons a day now for the last 4 days and I don't have any additional flatulence at all. Is this a good thing or not so good? I don't know what to make of it.

xjhuez

I've worked my way up to doing 4 teaspoons a day and I'll keep working my way up to 4 tbsp. a day. The only additional flatulence I had was at lower doses and it wasn't really that much extra at all. I've been doing 4 teaspoons a day now for the last 4 days and I don't have any additional flatulence at all. Is this a good thing or not so good? I don't know what to make of it.

I'm also at 4 tsp RS and having no additional flatulence. Whatever microbes are supposed to be eating the RS and producing gas, aren't. Maybe it isn't making it to the distal colon?

adreno

PR activist
I don't think 4 ts is enough to make a substantial difference. Things might start happening if you guys increase to 2 tbs.

Ripley

I don't think 4 ts is enough to make a substantial difference. Things might start happening if you guys increase to 2 tbs.

Agreed. I think it's a very good sign if you don't get any flatulence from 4 teaspoons of RS (4 teaspoons = 1.3 Tablespoons). That's a pretty good sign that you can ramp up quickly to 2-4 Tablespoons/day and get the fermentation to move towards the distal end of the large intestine. I didn't get any flatulence from 2-3 Tablespoons/day and only got a little flatulence from 4 Tablespoons.

The idea is to eventually get to a point where you have a little non-smelly flatulence throughout the day — which is an indicator of butyrate production. I believe the output should be mostly hydrogen, if I'm not mistaken, which shouldn't really smell.

If you never get flatulence — even at 4 Tbsp/day, you may need to introduce a few SBO probiotics or fermented foods to get the seeds in place. But, even if you don't have flatulence, you can still get some benefits. You just get more benefits when there's a little bit of flatulence.

In general, the off-gas from fermentation is eaten up by cross-feeder bacteria (it's believed they swallow the gas as fuel and do other good things of you). So, over time, the cross-feeders will get in place, and bloom, to calm the flatulence down to something that you barely notice. In other words, it becomes a balanced eco-system over time.

Last edited:

dmholmes

I had the smelly flatulence :( (methane, sulphur?) seemingly from some bad bacteria. Possibly due to the Campylobacter infection I have.

Rand56

Ok thanks all you guys. I'll keep working myself up. The good thing is I don't feel any worse and only had that one day when I was at a lower dosage with some slight nausea.

Sasha

Fine, thank you

xjhuez

Ok, since the consensus is that 4 tsp is too little, I'll up it a bit. I've been taking it slow because I've had bad reactions to probiotics. I understand RS is a prebiotic, but still.