• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bicarbonate of soda - burping test for stomach acid??!

Spinney Lainey

I was reading a thread, I can't remember which one and someone mentioned doing a 'burping test' to test the strength of stomach acid! Can't find it now, though! Can anyone shed any light on it?

Plum

You can swallow 1/2 teaspoon bicarb with water (it tastes disgusting). If you have stomach acid, you should burp. I had to do this after taking some betaine HCl - think I took too much

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I was reading a thread, I can't remember which one and someone mentioned doing a 'burping test' to test the strength of stomach acid! Can't find it now, though! Can anyone shed any light on it?

Quote from Dr. Rich Van Konynenburg:

If you want to test to see if your stomach acid is low, you can try this simple test at home: On an empty stomach, such as first thing in the morning, drink an 8-ounce glass of water into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Using a clock or watch, measure how long it is before you burp. If you have enough stomach acid, you should burp within two minutes. If you haven't burped within 5 minutes, you can stop timing.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Ok, so I failed the test. Can anyone recommend what dosage I should take/any good makes of betaine hcl?

If you are in the US Vitacost's might be the least expensive: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-betaine-hcl-with-pepsin

I don't think this is one of the supplements where you need to spend a lot to get the quality you need. I take one (650 mgs) with every meal but of course it depends on how alkaline your stomach is. Why not try one and see how that feels. I think you will know if you have taken too much by getting a burning sensation. Some need to take several capsules I believe.

Sushi