• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clinical trial: Rituximab for fatigue in autoimmune PBC

natasa778

This links nicely to
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...une-pbc-caused-by-human-betaretrovirus.27887/

but I thought it deserved a thread of its own :)

Rituximab for the treatment of fatigue in primary biliary cirrhosis

MRC funded

Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC) is a liver disease that predominantly affects females, can present for the first time at any age and which develops over many years. It is caused by the immune system attacking the body’s own tissues.

People with PBC frequently experience profound fatigue or tiredness which they liken to their “batteries running down” and although people still want to undertake normal activities they simply lack the energy to be able to do them. This reduces quality of life, makes it difficult for people to work, and can end up with them becoming isolated in the community.

... The aim of this study is to undertake a clinical trial to examine the effects of this treatment (Rituximab) on severe fatigue in PBC to help us understand whether this will be a potentially useful treatment

Firestormm

@natasa778 Good find. Either I wasn't aware of it or have forgotten. I see the RCT finished at the end of last year (2013). Also, that in PBC they appear to have established cause:

Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC) is a liver disease that predominantly affects females, can present for the first time at any age and which develops over many years. It is caused by the immune system attacking the body’s own tissues.

People with PBC frequently experience profound fatigue or tiredness which they liken to their “batteries running down” and although people still want to undertake normal activities they simply lack the energy to be able to do them. This reduces quality of life, makes it difficult for people to work, and can end up with them becoming isolated in the community. At present we have no treatment for fatigue in PBC. Finding a treatment for fatigue in PBC is one of the highest research priorities identified by patient groups.

We have shown that PBC patients with fatigue have an abnormality in the way they generate energy within their muscles. This appears to be associated with the presence of an antibody in the blood which is directed against an important protein which normal cells in the body use to generate energy. In recent years new drug treatments have been developed which allow us to safely suppress the part of the immune system which produces antibodies of the type that seem to cause energy production problems in PBC. As yet, however, the extent to which these medicines can improve fatigue through removal of antibodies in PBC has not been tested.

The aim of this study is to undertake a clinical trial to examine the effects of this treatment (Rituximab) on severe fatigue in PBC to help us understand whether this will be a potentially useful treatment. This information will tell us how energy generation changes in patients with PBC with and without the treatment and will also help us to develop new treatments for fatigue in other diseases. The study has the potential to improve the quality of life of many patients with PBC, for whom there is currently no hope of improvement.

I thought that one of the recent grants for ME research from the MRC was in connection with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC), and that they were trying to establish if similar mechanisms were present in ME that might account primarily for the fatigue, but I may be confused with the work that is looking at Sjorgen's Disease in this respect. I think Dr Newton is something of an expert on PBC - she certainly makes comparisons between PBC and ME in her presentations.

I'd have to do some digging and don't have time today - but if they can establish in the above that treatment with Rituximab for PBC does address the fatigue, and can then establish similar mechanisms at play in ME, it would further improve the chances of this becoming a treatment. But to what extent the treatment would be available to all I wouldn't like to speculate - even in PBC - as we still need to overcome to relative expensive. Perhaps for the most severely affected?

@Jonathan Edwards were you and the team at UCL aware of this RCT? Thanks.

Last edited:

lansbergen

Wikipedia mentions that PBC includes autoantibodies against pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (PDHA1, PDHA2, PDHB, DLAT, DLD), nucleoporin glycoprotein-210 (NUP210), and nucleoporin p62 (NUP62).

Untill more details are revealed I will assume they mean the complex.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I thought that one of the recent grants for ME research from the MRC was in connection with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC), and that they were trying to establish if similar mechanisms were present in ME that might account primarily for the fatigue, but I may be confused with the work that is looking at Sjorgen's Disease in this respect. I think Dr Newton is something of an expert on PBC - she certainly makes comparisons between PBC and ME in her presentations.

That's pretty much what I thought.

This also reminded me of a recent paper that found an association between SNPs in the TRAF1-C5 gene and the impact of 'sickness behavioir' (fatigue, mood etc) on quality of life in PBC patients. TRAF1-C5 is one of a family of receptors for the pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF-a.

How this relates to the autoantibodies discussed above, if at all, I don't know but if autoimmune diseases are essentially inflammatory then specific variants of TNF-a genes may make certain individuals more susceptible to 'sickness behaviour' ?

The paper also briefly discusses parallels with CFS :

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jir/2013/510547/

andre79

I think this study will be ready around May 2015. I am very excited to know the results! Maybe i could be a candidate for rituximab, if the turn out is good, enough to convince my square mind doctors.