• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help choose a name for a new advocacy website

caledonia

Hi all, I need your help narrowing down a list of names for a new advocacy website.
  • The name should reflect a goal of stopping the IOM contract and the other two re-definition projects, and getting the CCC adopted.
  • It should also reflect that this is a grassroots effort by ME patients, for ME patients.
  • The name should be easy to remember, as it will be both the website name and the domain name (web address).
There are many choices, therefore I have it set up so you can vote for as many names as you like, or even add a new suggestion. So if, for example, you like 5 names, feel free to vote for all five of them.

http://poll.fm/4lfub

http://poll.fm/4lfub

rosie26

Hi Caledonia
I ticked a couple of boxes and then clicked on vote. Was that all I had to do to register vote. Are we able to see what has been most voted for. ?

OneWaySurvival

Yes, I did. Do you want me to vote again, and type that suggestion again - to test if the "other name" function is working?

OneWaySurvival

Yes, why don't you give it another try and let me know what happens.

OK. I just voted again (and this time it told me "thank you for voting...") so maybe it didn't go through last night b/c I don't remember that message. Anyway, I went ahead and submitted my suggested name again, and changed it to uppercase "ME", so now my official suggestion is:

StandByME

I just checked and standbyme.org and standbyme.com are both available. I like it because it is a positive and descriptive message, and it is very familiar because of the classic movie title.

My second choice would be fight4ME, if we want to take a more aggressive stance. The17million (or anything with "million" in the title) is also interesting because it shows our numbers.

justinreilly

Caledonia, I tried voting last night and adding a name, but it didn't work.

I tried again today and I didn't get a message that I voted, but when I tried again, it said my vote had already been counted, but my new suggested name wasn't up. Does it take a while for that to happen.

I really like the one million but i have real reservations about using that number since the two studies, one of which said 50% of pw Fukuda CFS don't have PEM and the other that said 20% don't, so assuming the numbers and percentages are accurate, we would really be something like 500K to 800K. But I don't know how good those studies are. It's frigging ludicrous that we don't even have basic prevalence numbers 30 years later!

I like Rise Up for ME

My submission is: "FightBackFightME (like ACTUP,FightBack,FightAIDS)"

Caledonia, can you enter that submission (without quotes) in for me since I can't seem to do it, along with one vote for it (or let me know when I can vote for it.

My submission is the maximum number of characters allowed, but let me explain more: ACTUP's usual chant (they had a few others) was "ACT UP, Fight Back, Fight AIDS," the ACT UP being the name of the org and the idea that they were going to, well, act up; Fight Back I think was directed at the government and drug companies (and maybe the disease); Fight AIDS (obviously directed at the disease).

We could insert a little phrase in the middle of ours as necessary, e.g. "Fight Back, Fight IoM, Fight ME" or "Fight Back, Fight CDC, Fight ME", "Fight Back, Fight the Lies, Fight ME" etc.

Ideally, the suggestions collected first and then voting. Can we start over?

caledonia

OK. I just voted again (and this time it told me "thank you for voting...") so maybe it didn't go through last night b/c I don't remember that message. Anyway, I went ahead and submitted my suggested name again, and changed it to uppercase "ME", so now my official suggestion is:

StandByME

I just checked and standbyme.org and standbyme.com are both available. I like it because it is a positive and descriptive message, and it is very familiar because of the classic movie title.

My second choice would be fight4ME, if we want to take a more aggressive stance. The17million (or anything with "million" in the title) is also interesting because it shows our numbers.

I saw StandbyME in there. I promoted it into something people can vote on.

caledonia

Caledonia, I tried voting last night and adding a name, but it didn't work.

I tried again today and I didn't get a message that I voted, but when I tried again, it said my vote had already been counted, but my new suggested name wasn't up. Does it take a while for that to happen.

I really like the one million but i have real reservations about using that number since the two studies, one of which said 50% of pw Fukuda CFS don't have PEM and the other that said 20% don't, so assuming the numbers and percentages are accurate, we would really be something like 500K to 800K. But I don't know how good those studies are. It's frigging ludicrous that we don't even have basic prevalence numbers 30 years later!

I like Rise Up for ME

My submission is: "FightBackFightME (like ACTUP,FightBack,FightAIDS)"

Caledonia, can you enter that submission (without quotes) in for me since I can't seem to do it, along with one vote for it (or let me know when I can vote for it.

My submission is the maximum number of characters allowed, but let me explain more: ACTUP's usual chant (they had a few others) was "ACT UP, Fight Back, Fight AIDS," the ACT UP being the name of the org and the idea that they were going to, well, act up; Fight Back I think was directed at the government and drug companies (and maybe the disease); Fight AIDS (obviously directed at the disease).

We could insert a little phrase in the middle of ours as necessary, e.g. "Fight Back, Fight IoM, Fight ME" or "Fight Back, Fight CDC, Fight ME", "Fight Back, Fight the Lies, Fight ME" etc.

Ideally, the suggestions collected first and then voting. Can we start over?

Justin, I don't see your submission in there, but I will add it to the list to be voted on. It has to be done manually. Adding a suggestion is the same as voting for it.

leela

i voted and suggested a name (which I forget now :whistle:) but can't go back to look at the poll any more.
i wanted to see the list again but i just get a message saying i 've already voted.

justinreilly

I saw How to Survive a Plague recently which I highly recommend; very inspiring. The idea came from there. I knew they were creative and very outspoken, but it sparked the creativity and inspiration to see the movie and also when i googled images for "ACT UP" and "ACT UP protest". Obviously, we don't have the health to do a lot of it, but it was still quite useful.

rosie26

I just went back to the poll to see if I could vote again as the first time I did it I didn't get a "thank you for your vote".
So I just tried voting a second time now and I got the "thank you for voting" this time, so I don't think my first vote was recorded.

If you are voting make sure you see the thank you for voting otherwise it might not be recorded.