• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Hidden Life

View the Post on the Blog

TheChronicSituation writes about how choosing to live hidden behind even a partial mask can seem easier, especially when it saves on bothersome explanations. But, at the end of the day, pretense can come at a cost - nobody really knowing who you are...

To what extent do you need to hide your illness, how you are feeling, or the person that you have become? Is it always necessary to tell someone about CFS/ME in every situation?

The majority of people I know, don't know that I have CFS/ME. In a way, I feel that I am lucky that I can pass for a healthy person. I am not so affected that I am prevented from being out in the world, at least part-time.

I live here in the west of Ireland, work about half a week, have an occasional social life, travel at times, have some level of functionality.

And it is not as if I have been deliberately hiding anything. It's just that with people that I don't know really well, it just hasn't come up.

I meet them socially, or in a work setting, and, because I have been managing this condition for so long, I have usually rested enough to be able to function more or less normally, at least for an hour or two.

Though it is true that I am not overly revealing about my state of health, it sometimes seems like too much work: telling people about CFS/ME, having to explain the ins and outs of the condition, how it effects me, the causes and treatments, and all of the politics of it. Even contemplating an explanation is exhausting.

And, it is so easy for them to misunderstand when there is so much misinformation out there. They might have half-heard about one misguided report, in a prominent national newspaper for example, which has happened often enough, and be led to believe that I am some kind of crackpot.

There is also the fact that if people don't know that I have this condition, then for the time that I am with them, I can pretend. It gives me a space where I can be, at least temporarily, how I would be if I were well.

So I think that that is the key. It's almost as if, if people don't know about my condition, then I can, for a short time, be as they see me, a reasonably active, healthy person.

Yet the truth is that I am playing a role. There is this whole other truth about my life that casual friends and acquaintances don't know anything about. They don't see my periods of exhaustion, or don't realise that if I meet them in a pub then I have rested a lot of that day to be able to make it there.

They don't see me struggling with food and with intolerance, and they don't see all of the medications and supplements I take each day.​

They don't see my dizziness when I stand up, the exhaustion when I sit down, they don't experience the enormous strain that having to stand for any length of time, causes me.​

They have no idea about the controlling force in my life, the obstacle around which I have to organise every other thing I want to do.​

I am a half-ill, half-well person, and most of the people I know only see the healthy side. And that in itself is a difficulty, as it limits how close I can be to people if they only know half of me.

But I don't see a good way around this. If I do manage to summon the energy to go out at night, or to any kind of social event, the last thing that I want to be talking about is CFS/ME. And so, in my day to day life, the opportunity simply does not arise to talk about what is in essence the most vital part of my story.

It's probably best to illustrate this with an example: I was in a pub, drinking my usual bottle of still water, and chatting to this girl I know casually. She mentioned that she had done the Camino de Santiago, which is an ancient route where people walk twenty kilometres a day, on a journey through northern Spain; and she suggested that I do it.

The whole thing is six hundred kilometres, and takes about a month on foot. I simply smiled and told her that it sounded like a good idea, that I must keep it in mind. I couldn't even begin to explain to her how utterly impossible even the idea of this would be for me.

The full explanation of why this would be out of the question would have gotten me into all kinds of areas that I didn't feel like getting into at that moment, and would have been inappropriate in the setting that we were in. And it is also true that many people feel uncomfortable discussing or hearing about illness.

Sometimes simply explaining the condition takes more energy than I have available. I find it is often easier just to pretend to be what I seem to be: a normal, healthy-looking - though unknowable - person.

So I go on like this, living an almost secret life. I imagine that to a lot of the people I know, I must appear quite opaque, someone who is all surface and no depth. I think many people wouldn't really be able to grasp the idea of me as someone dealing with a chronic illness when they see me as someone who teaches, who has a social life, who in fact arranges events for a voluntary organisation I am involved with.

I can do all this precisely because I have adapted to my lack of energy. But the truth behind it is hidden, and by necessity will remain so.

CFS/ME is just not something that I feel I can explain in a few sentences to someone I don't know well. The impact is too enormous. So this is the way I am now, living my private, reduced-life at home where I rest, and pretending to be someone that I am not when out in the world.

At times it appears surreal, and makes me feel a bit detached from those around me. But I can't see another way of approaching my everyday life.

TheChronicSituation also writes a blog that can be viewed here.

Phoenix Rising is a registered 501 (c)(3) non profit. We support ME/CFS and NEID patients through rigorous reporting, reliable information, effective advocacy and the provision of online services which empower patients and help them to cope with their isolation.

There are many ways you can help Phoenix Rising to continue its work. If you feel able to offer your time and talent, we could really use some more authors, proof-readers, fundraisers, technicians etc. and we'd love to expand our Board of Directors. So, if you think you can help then please contact Mark through the Forum.

And don't forget: you can always support our efforts at no cost to yourself as you shop online through the Phoenix Rising Store! To find out about more ways you can support Phoenix Rising, please visit our Donate page by clicking the button below.

View the Post on the Blog

Once, an old lady sitting across from me gave me the stink eye and started to lecture me when I remained seated in the handicapped section of a crowded bus. (this was not a polite questioning or statement; that would have promoted a more polite response) I stared right back at her, told her I was chronically ill, and to mind her own business in a loud voice. Everyone else stared back at her -- yeah, I embarrassed her back! And I remained seated for the rest of the ride with no one bothering me. If I'm using a handicapped placard and the rare person stares at me (I'm not elderly), I just ignore them. No one's ever had the guts to confront me.

Well done. I think I would have to be having a pretty good - or pretty bad - day to confront someone like that. Though I have had my moments. Good for you :thumbsup::balloons:

N.B. Is 'stink eye' a phrase that I should be familiar with? Is it something that old ladies do often? :lol:

Well done. I think I would have to be having a pretty good - or pretty bad - day to confront someone like that. Though I have had my moments. Good for you :thumbsup::balloons:

N.B. Is 'stink eye' a phrase that I should be familiar with? Is it something that old ladies do often? :lol:

Yeah, Valentjin explains the "stink eye" correctly!

I usually prefer non-confrontation/ diplomacy myself but don't push me around because I will bite back if you push too far or try to threaten/ harm someone in my family or my friends. There are two types of reactions to a threat - fight of flight -- I'm a fighter for good or bad. When I was a young girl, this one boy on the bus kept teasing me and my friends; he was bigger than I was but he annoyed me enough that I caught him off guard one day, kicked him down, and punched him until he told me to stop. He never bothered us again. I was fortunate I didn't get in trouble for doing that and I never got into another fight in school as I learned other ways to deal with people.

I have to say though that just as we don't want people to assume all people with ME/CFS are lazy, malingerers who want to stay home all day, we can't assume all the public hold negative perceptions/ misconceptions also. So I try to keep an open mind from that angle. As I said it's and individual decision who, when, how much to disclose but I did read a recent UK study about medical students where those who had known someone with ME/CFS outside of their training (e.g. friend, relative, social acquaintance, etc.) were more likely to have less biased views of the illness.

It is kind of weird when you are talking with people who don't know just how sick you really are. There are some people in my acquaintance who I don't let on too about how sick I am - for my own personal reasons. I sometimes feel I am acting and I guess I am. So I am an actress lol ! It is weird.

But mostly, most know I have been very sick and I have been very fortunate that they have treated me quite well really.
But I must admit that I am very expressive in describing how ill I have been and I talk in a firm serious manner to get it across better. My onset was so frighteningly dramatic and it went on for years and years and years - so I get very serious when I talk about it.

It is a huge illness, it feels bad, very bad. It is unbelievable what we have all gone through on our own. I find it so hard reading those who are now in the throes of the onset years. How did we all survive those severe years I do not know.

I feel like no one really gets it. I remember sitting in a full bus when I felt pretty dizzy. A woman with her old mother squeezed themselves trough the standing people and demanded my seat, looking at me like a was a very impertinent subject, leaving this poor old grandma to stand. I was too exhausted to explain my situation, stood up and fighted fainting until we arrived, leaning to the glass door with my forehead. A part of me wished me to faint, so the woman would feel sorry and never again misinterpret someones health status by their age. After all, I'm shure I looked very pale, ready to faint or vomit, and a more sensitive person should have seen it.

It seems like I'm living the dream, but I don't. I'm fighting. Always. Every minute of every day and every night and from time to time... I get so tired of it. For every gain there comes the pain, one could say.

Thanks for your comment, I can identify with the bus experience, I'm sure a lot of us who appear healthy probably can, being taken for a healthy person when we are in fact really struggling. It's not easy.

You sound like you have good friends, Samuela, who at least make an attempt to understand. That's something. And yes, we can all probably identify with the experience of fighting, battling every second just to live some kind of life.

Good luck.

I also live in Ireland and can identify with the writers sentiments. Irish society is not open minded, and ME is an illness which is stigmatised and misunderstood by most people. People here tend to attack or dismiss or ridicule things they cannot understand. There is an appaling education system in Ireland, most people don't learn science and basic manners and civility in schools and homes. They are incapable of understanding the ME illness or emphatising with it. Thus ME patients are encouraged to keep quiet and cover up their illness. As regards truth and being true to oneself, how can one express truth in an environment where truth is rejected in favour of stigma, prejudice, superstitions, egotism and tv sports and talent shows.

We have tried to inform the Irish public via our ME clinic web site at www.me-ireland.com and get proper medical facilities for ME patients here.

First of all, I never said that Irish society is not open minded. ME is misunderstood by most people in Ireland, but that is not a specifically Irish problem, it is worldwide.

To be honest I don't recognize the picture of the country that you paint. You may have had some bad experiences that have led you to a particular perspective, but it is not my perspective and is not one that I communicated in my article. I don't talk about my condition for my own reasons, which I have outlined above, but it is certainly not because I have been victimized or attacked. I think that I experience the usual mixture of kindness, incomprehension, misunderstanding, indifference and genuine concern, that ME sufferers anywhere experience.

Finally, this statement that you made, "There is an appaling education system in Ireland, most people don't learn science and basic manners and civility in schools and homes", is, quite frankly, nonsense. I'm sorry that you have such a jaundiced view of the country that we share, but you should realize that ME sufferers everywhere experience great difficulties, and that this is not a specifically Irish problem.

I think you read my article and decided to interpret it according to your own agenda, rather than actually reading what I said.

For casual acquaintances or one-time encounters, I don't feel there is a need for them to know about my illness. But if I have to drop out of an activity or delay something, I will explain to the person why so they understand it's not because of them personally or the event or that I don't want to participate anymore.

But when I do mention it, it can vary too depending on on how far I want to get. It can be as shallow as "I have a chronic illness" to "I have chronic fatigue syndrome. Have you hear of it before?" followed by details.

On the whole, I've received neutral or positive responses --

Yes, I do that too, tailor the explanation according to the person and the situation. I have found that if you don't enter into a huge long epic listing of symptoms and treatments, then most people are fairly understanding or neutral. As I have said before, it's not because I have been attacked that I don't talk about it, it is simply because sometimes it is too much trouble, and opens me up to being misunderstood.

It is kind of weird when you are talking with people who don't know just how sick you really are. There are some people in my acquaintance who I don't let on too about how sick I am - for my own personal reasons. I sometimes feel I am acting and I guess I am. So I am an actress lol ! It is weird.

Yes, exactly, I do feel that a lot of the time I am "acting" too. Though, in truth, that is probably true of a lot of people, healthy and well. We all have stuff going on under the surface that no-one else sees, though this is more true of us who have a chronic illness.

TheChronicSituation I loved your piece and the quiet measure of it. Isn't amazing how much we understand of each others suffering and of how difficult it is for those who have not been here, to comprehend even the smallest part.

We tolerate the intolerable and we are not alone in that, but ours is a disease that has been denied so loudly that few can challenge that message without good reason. I was open about it at work and got a mixed reaction. On reflection if I could have hidden it I would have.

I have found people to be generally shallow, they respond to what they see; status, strength and utility which is why the rest of the world spends so much time and effort faking it. Their response to weakness is generally to avoid it or exploit it. This view probably does not paint me in a good light....

8 weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer, I have been open about that too, and that also got a mixed reaction. Those that have a problem around illness were at least shamed into silence. Now I have a 'real illness' I can say M.E in the presence of doctors and the don't look as if they have bitten into a lemon and they include it in factors to be considered.

The irony is that M.E has been and is worse than anything else I could experience but in the world of top trumps, Cancer is the head honcho.

TheChronicSituation I loved your piece and the quiet measure of it. Isn't amazing how much we understand of each others suffering and of how difficult it is for those who have not been here, to comprehend even the smallest part.

Thanks for your comment. Very sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis, that´s a hard thing to have to deal with, on top of ME. It's sad that you have had to contract cancer for someone to take your medical situation seriously.

I was diagnosed in 1998 and after falling so often I use a rolling seated walker with hand brakes to allow me to function away from my home. I use a cane on my better days and this combined with a shopping cart allows me to do shopping about four to six times a year -- yes, I drove about 25 miles total last year symptoms were so complex. I also ride a mobility scooter out in my gardens. Since the death of my husband I broke all the bones in my left ankle this required emergency surgery with a metal plate and screws to set m right again -- once of that was enough of the broken bones business and the walker, cane and mobility scooter are allowing me to endure this with some grace, and absence of any further broken bones thus far:) Loved the article and comments and coping with this on my own without good support makes this shared support invaluable. Thanks for sharing this!

I can relate to this. However, if you get close to someone, you have to tell them what's going on. For years I went to college part time, worked part time and had a social life, but like you, I would rest all day to have one.

Finally, I got sick of the lie, the charade. It was too much work to not say anything.

Like Tania said, if you are too sick to tell the lie or seem okay or not talk about why you can't do that walk or hike, that is exhausting, too. I can't lie anymore. I don't.

I used to live behind a front to protect myself, but I realized, it was more about protecting THEM.

I don't care if people can't handle it, or I should say I just let them know now. I don't tell complete strangers. But, I feel like I have to tell the truth because many people reach out via email and I can't say when they ask, "Hi, where have you been, I have not heard from you?" Oh, I was just in Spain traveling my ass off.

So, why lie is where I am at now. Plus, I am just too exhausted to be anything than my true authentic self. I am tired of hiding out behind the curtain that never protected me much anyway.