• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What has helped more with your sleep?

WoolPippi

A little update: progesteron pill keeps me asleep. 100mg on a regular day, 200mg on day 21-28.

However: excess Folinic Acid overrules this and keeps me awake for 3 to 4 hours. Worse than ever.

I think firing up the Methylation Cycle too much gets the Sympathetic Nervous System all excited. Excess noradrenaline at night. More balanced Folinic Acid allowed me to sleep through again.
(2mg Folinic Acid with 1200mg mB12 is maximum for me)

At night I take:
1. Gabapentin 300 mg
2. Zolpidem 15 mg
3. Magnesium Sulfate injection 2 ml
plus:
4. NAC 1000 mg
5. D-Ribose 4-5 g in warm milk
The NAC and D-Ribose make little perceivable impact, although I think they help a bit.

This is where I am just now and it's the best combo I've had for a while.

Agomelatine 50 mg helps occasionally to give the Zolpidem a break. Taurine injections 2 ml also help, but are expensive. Baclofen 30 mg also helps, but I don't combine it with the Gabapentin.

Re-timer glasses on getting up also help, but I can only tolerate them intermittently, and not during bad episodes.

It's a good day for me just to be able to write this!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
It's a good day for me just to be able to write this!
That´s awful. You don´t know how far you can fall until you do. This life and our bodies it seems were designed to be able to create and experience amazing depths of suffering. Heh heh not very positive uh? But who can say it is false!! I can write in the forums even the worst days, for me a good day is one I can go to the beach or shopping and feel slightly hopeful about the future.

Thanks for your input. I am making a list of things I want to try for sleep in a Word file, medications and supplements. I have been reading some abstracts about inflammatory bowel disease and sleep disturbances and undoubtely bad sleep both causes and is caused by intestinal inflammation. Fighting the sleep dysfunction and intestinal inflammation is the way to go for my case at this moment and probably for many others. So I need to carry these lists to the docs and be clear about what I want: try sleep meds for my severely f*#ked up sleep!

Full disclosure on the ashwagandha is that I am taking the Life Extension product, "Enhanced Natural Sleep." It has 200 mg of Ashwagandha and some bio active milk peptide. The latter doesn't seem to do much of anything by itself but the combination helps. I think the N-acetyl-cysteine and melatonin help too but the thing that has finally made a lasting (over a month) difference is the combination of blue blocking glasses at night and bright light therapy in the AM.

maddietod

Full disclosure on the ashwagandha is that I am taking the Life Extension product, "Enhanced Natural Sleep." It has 200 mg of Ashwagandha and some bio active milk peptide. The latter doesn't seem to do much of anything by itself but the combination helps. I think the N-acetyl-cysteine and melatonin help too but the thing that has finally made a lasting (over a month) difference is the combination of blue blocking glasses at night and bright light therapy in the AM.

Which light box do you use?

Iquitos

Use the link above for a thread about it. I'm getting mine from Amazon. $40/1oz, free shipping, Cibdex CBD Drops, 80 "servings" at 15 drops per day.

They ship to some other countries (I'm in the US) but haven't checked about Spain. Hip, in the CBD thread, says Amazon ships it to UK.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the CBD drops also. They are supposed to be good for inflammation, pain and sleep. I've heard about the Cibdex drops but heard that a much larger dose (4 to 6 times) was necessary, making it too expensive. I'll check out the other thread. Thanks.

Iquitos

Yes, I'm finding that to be at least partially true. I've tried the 15 drop dose and it's not enough. 30 drops, or double the dose, seems to work for me, though. And the other brand out there, Dew Drops, (I think) has the same amount of cannabidiol in it.

I only chose the Cibdex because of internet gossip purportedly coming from Dixie's former scientific director, claiming Dixie, the maker of Dew Drops, had dirty and other bad practices in manufacture. This is third or fourth hand "information" but the price is the same so I picked Cibdex.

WoolPippi

I took N-A-C for 2 days and went straight back to lying awake, even with progesterone pill on board.

Richvank says that N-Acetyl-Cysteine is welcome to the liver because it needs the cysteine to make glutathione. But NAC can shake loose mercury from various body tissues and lets it bounce around the brain. My 600 mcg clearly was too much.

I find that I need to keep my brain chemistry uneventful or I go straight back to lying awake. NAC does this, too much folinic acid does this, Zinc/Copper imbalance does this, stress or anger during the day does this, garlic does it, nutmeg too.

Man, I'd like a new batch of spaghetti in my skull please. Hold the sauce.

Izola

Which brand do you use? I have extremely high morning cortisol so wondering if this may work? iherb have it on at a good price at present - Source Naturals brand.

I think if my Doctor tested my cortisol she would faint at the results. Iz

Izola

Dr. Alan Pocinki talks about the importance of treating our sleep issues in the last ME/CFS Alert video. There is another great talk by him in which he goes into more detail about which medications he used You can find it on vimeo and it is completely relevant even though the title is, "Clinical Autonomic and Sleep Disorders in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. (Vimeo would not allow me to post the direct link on this site.) He spoke about how he treats pain, which is an important part of frequent arousals for many of us, said he might have a patient take four different medications at bedtime and was more specific about what those are. A full night's sleep, as he sees it, is the foundation for any sort of improvement.

Also, major papers carried research information in the past few weeks which shows that a lack of deep sleep is associated with a higher incidence of Alzheimer's and other dementias later on. The reason, it is believed, is that in deep sleep the brain is bathed in cerebrospinal fluid which washes away protein fragments and other toxic substances or end products. Deep sleep is when the brain gets its detox treatment! So a lack of deep sleep is very very important to treat.

What has worked for me is the smallest effective dose of trazodone, clonazepam and gabapentin, but well over a year ago I got off the clonazepam because my doctor did not want me taking anything addictive. It was a slow taper down of tiny increments of pill, but I did fine, as far as the dependency went. However, sure enough, I went back to exactly the same sleep issue as before--waking up in the middle of the night then having multiple awakenings or even no sleep after that. Pain definitely feels like the reason I have all those "arousals".

I would prefer the dependency over lack of sufficient sleep. Sleep is when the brain heals and when the liver fixes things. Iz

WoolPippi

going to GP tomorrow to get referral for a neurological sleep test. I've had it, I want someone to look at my neurotransmitters. And then wack me over the head with the tea kettle.

Prog. pil only seems to work in the first half of the cycle and only when on moderately methylation protocol.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
going to GP tomorrow to get referral for a neurological sleep test. I've had it, I want someone to look at my neurotransmitters. And then wack me over the head with the tea kettle.

Prog. pil only seems to work in the first half of the cycle and only when on moderately methylation protocol.

Sorry to hear this. Good luck with finding a solution.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I got my most recent sleep "stack" as bodybuilders and supplement freaks (lol) call it. I hope I can come back here and report significant relief!!

I got fed up of overdosing in melatonin just to get a rather crappy sleep which was letting me have some functionality. It wasn´t worth because taking large quantities of an hormone over time like melatonin surely is no good, especially since I am young and should be producing it.