• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Myhill Acumen test Question

Mij

Hi,

A friend of mine would like to know if there is a test equivalent to this available in the US.

Was the Acumen test worthwhile to do as far as treatment protocol and results?

thank you.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Mij, as far as I am aware Dr Myhill has, in the past made the test available in the States - i'm not sure if this is still the case. I would send her office an e mail, although it may take them a while to respond as they are always snowed under with requests. The staff in the office are very helpful and will reply when they have time (current patients get priority and there are a lot of them!)

In terms of wether the test is worthwhile it is hard to say. It was for me as it gave me proof of a physical illness which helped my own head and could be reffered to when people were being sceptical.

it gave me anumber on the ability scale so I could see just how sick I really was and how much I needed to stop pushing.

It has also helped to know where some of the dysfunction lies, eg mineral and vitamin deficiencies.
I also was given a personalised protocol of supplements.

It has helped me to get the disability benefits (in the uk) that I am entitled to as I always use it as evidence of my dysfunction.

BUT

it only really tells you that you are ill, not what is SPECIFICALLY causing it.
I couldn't tolerate most of the supplements and after 4 years have still not tried them all or been able to take them regularly.

Mnay of the supps I have tried, apart from magnesium and B12 daily injections have made no noticeable difference.

Most of the advice can be followed on her website and her advice is pretty much the same to everyone, so I know many people have gained benefit from doing her protocol without the testing anyway.

I am still left wondering if I have chronic infections etc that could be treated and am now going to try and pursue testing for this - it may have been better to just do this in the first place and not bother with this testing as it is quite expensive.

Hope this helps,
Justy x

Mij

Hi Mij, as far as I am aware Dr Myhill has, in the past made the test available in the States - i'm not sure if this is still the case. I would send her office an e mail, although it may take them a while to respond as they are always snowed under with requests. The staff in the office are very helpful and will reply when they have time (current patients get priority and there are a lot of them!)

In terms of wether the test is worthwhile it is hard to say. It was for me as it gave me proof of a physical illness which helped my own head and could be reffered to when people were being sceptical.

it gave me anumber on the ability scale so I could see just how sick I really was and how much I needed to stop pushing.

It has also helped to know where some of the dysfunction lies, eg mineral and vitamin deficiencies.
I also was given a personalised protocol of supplements.

It has helped me to get the disability benefits (in the uk) that I am entitled to as I always use it as evidence of my dysfunction.

BUT

it only really tells you that you are ill, not what is SPECIFICALLY causing it.
I couldn't tolerate most of the supplements and after 4 years have still not tried them all or been able to take them regularly.

Mnay of the supps I have tried, apart from magnesium and B12 daily injections have made no noticeable difference.

Most of the advice can be followed on her website and her advice is pretty much the same to everyone, so I know many people have gained benefit from doing her protocol without the testing anyway.

I am still left wondering if I have chronic infections etc that could be treated and am now going to try and pursue testing for this - it may have been better to just do this in the first place and not bother with this testing as it is quite expensive.

Hope this helps,
Justy x

Thank you so much for your reply, Justy. I was thinking the same thing, I've gained some improvements from her suggestions as well. What is the underlying cause that is causing poor mit function. Most benefit from finding and treating that first. I wish you luck with the testing, I hope they find *something* (and I mean that in a good way ;))

Mij

Hanna

I could write somehow the same answer as Justy did. The only difference is that I had the blood drawn in israel and sent with Fedex to the UK. One sample arrived spoiled to London (the one for the CoQ10 test) because it was stucked at customs despite all the precaution, All the rest was OK, so I had also some proof that something was going on with me. Not the "all in my head". I didn't have much success with the protocole though I tried to stick with it more than a whole year.

Abha

Abha
Hi Mij,

These tests that I had done through Dr Myhill/Dr Wright at Acumen Labs may be very good but no one recognises them.They are expensive.They show how disabled you are and the mitochondrial dysfunction that you have.The Newcastle Group also don't recognise them!The NHS didn't in my case although Justy states that they helped her.I presented Dr Myhill's letter at the Appeals court when I tried to get Government help but it was ignored.The NHS/Govt system in UK is a lottery and an illness like mine is not recognised.(no proper records kept!).I tried Dr Myhill's Protocol for about 6-9 mths and I didn't experience any improvement....I have seen numerous NHS consultants/doctors since and some are very critical of them others have no opinion..