• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How's Your Back Holding Up After Years of Crucial Bed Rest ?

WoolPippi

How is your back and are you able to get by just sitting or do you need the lie down kind too. ?
I lie down a lot too. This NewYear I decided to strengthen my back muscles. So I bought some dumbells with changable weights. I injured my shoulder just carrying the things into my house and cannot use my right arm for weeks now :s
Should have realized we are fragile, just like raindrop says.

I do like the cat: stretch and yawn whenever I get up (out of bed or chair). I even stretch and yawn in bed, it helps to get going. Stretching with some resists like those bands seems like a good idea, thanks.

When my shoulder gets better I want to do "kitchen cabinet push ups". You stand a bit away from the kitchen top, you lean in towards the top a bit and push yourself away into standing upright. Like you're standing one step away from the sink, think "hey, what's that?" and lean in to have a better look. Then you go "ew!"
But all slowly and zen-like ;)

Edit: I may have hurt my shoulder with the try-out lesson of Power Yoga I did. It was the same week as the dumbells. All good intentions but I should have started SLOW. Which is why I don't advocate group things for MEpeople, we forget to pace ourselves easily, I fear. Grrrr!

Last edited:

rosie26

@WoolPippi

I used to use a tin of baked beans or beetroot in each hand to start off with, for weights. It might not be a good size for grip though but if you are only doing it for a few minutes should be okay.

Stretching is good too, I did that today. I lifted my arms up sideways up to vertical position and down and up. I haven't done this for a long time.
I'm glad you are trying to do something too, hope it strengthens us up more this year. :)xx see how we all are at the end of the year.

Raindrop

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions regarding the silk filled duvet cover. Have to do some research
on all of this! Best to your back, Rosie! Gotta try to work on mine. That back stretcher looks like it would be
kind of strain, but then I haven't ever used such a thing! Good stuff if it helps!

rosie26

Lets keep in touch on this thread @Raindrop. You have got me started today with the exercise. Might pay to start out gentle until the back strengthens more before using weights or stretchers ?. :)

taniaaust1

Rosie,
So sorry to hear you are getting very deconditioned. I want to caution you to everything in your power to
do what you can do get some strength. I need to be talking to myself also about this. I think this is a topic
far underestimated for severe ME pts.

I used to have a friend in my community that was in bed quite a bit.
Then she lifted a patio brick that was too heavy for her and she developed SEVERE severe back pain.
Things spiraled out of control from there, making this story short. Ultimately she couldn't take but about
2 steps from her bed and became a complete invalid. She chose to take her life.

That's exactly how I hurt my back too.. I just bent and picked up a little brick and suddenly was in agonising pain, collapsing on the ground in pain. Spent a week in hospital then as I couldnt move, I'd put my back out. I was high pitched screaming every time I twisted my back in anyway at all, even 1cm sent me into screaming with pain

Fortunately in my case I collapsed unconscious due to the pain when they tried to get me up after a week in bed with no improvement, when I passed out, I fell to the floor and something in my back went back into place.. came to to find myself on oxygen. (discharged myself from hospital at that point but dr was ringing me for days concerned, he struggled to believe that my back fixed itself when I fell).

so I want to say to everyone take great care with your backs.

In my case I'd been completely bedbound for quite a long time (so my back muscles were extremely weak) and had got to the point in which Id improved to the point where I had recently started doing things again. I think this is when we would all be at most risk of injury as those muscles supporting our backs need to be build up again.

I are stronger in my back again (I can now sit up straight ..but for years after being bedbound I'd only just slouch as I didnt have the strength to sit up straight and stay like that). If back is weak, picking up the lightest thing off the floor (it doesnt have to be a heavy object)..could cause a back issue.

Last edited:

Mij

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions regarding the silk filled duvet cover. Have to do some research
on all of this! Best to your back, Rosie! Gotta try to work on mine. That back stretcher looks like it would be
kind of strain, but then I haven't ever used such a thing! Good stuff if it helps!

Y

Raindrop, you can also try something else, roll up and large towel (it's softer) and place it under your lower back to see if this relieves pressure. I did this before I bought the back stretcher and it worked fine. The back stretcher is hard so it may not be for everyone.

xchocoholic

I'm flat on my back today after cooking for several hours straight yesterday. Homemade from scratch Mexican foods. : )

Does cooking count as exercise ? It certainly wore me out.

I have an electric throw I'm in love with. Bought it at Walmart 3-4 years ago. I even travel with it.

My body won't stay warm on it's own anymore tho. Hashimoto's maybe ?
Those hot hands work great too.

tc .. x

Mij

I'm flat on my back today after cooking for several hours straight yesterday. Homemade from scratch Mexican foods. : )

Does cooking count as exercise ? It certainly wore me out.

I have an electric throw I'm in love with. Bought it at Walmart 3-4 years ago. I even travel with it.

My body won't stay warm on it's own anymore tho. Hashimoto's maybe ?
Those hot hands work great too.

tc .. x

I think any form of movement that keeps you flexible is good. I also get exhausted after standing/cooking, the reward of good food is always worth it :)

I have the opposite problem, I'm always too warm.

leela

Does cooking count as exercise ?
It certainly does! Please come exercise at my house ;)

I have found strengthening the core/abdomen is the best way to protect the back. Many core exercises can be done lying flat on the back, and just take tiny micro-movements to build strength.

Again, I'm so glad for this thread because I keep forgetting to address this. I had two horrible spasm episodes last year from some innocuous movement like reaching or turning, where I ended up disabled and in agony for many weeks. It was incredibly painful, and I needed a cane just to help me get out of bed, or remain semi-upright enough to walk. Ugh! Don't want to repeat that!

maddietod

I pull my back out twice a year.....for years now. I keep a back brace beside my bed and go into it instantly when I feel a twinge.....right.......THERE.

Hoping to avoid this this year, I'm doing very gentle stretching every morning. I've had a super cushy yoga mat for over a year, that I'd never used. [sigh] I sit on it and let my knees relax towards the mat, shifting which foot is in front. Once that's settled I do a lot of very very slow neck rolls until I've worked out all the kinks I can. Finally I lie on my belly with my legs like this <> to open my hips.

If I feel fancy I'll do some things on my back with my legs held by a band.......but I don't often feel fancy.

Mij

I also found that dry body brushing with a natural bristle brush gets the blood circulating in the morning, I do it lying down in bed.before I get up. I feel more flexible and it reduces achiness/stiffness.

rosie26

It certainly does! Please come exercise at my house ;)

I have found strengthening the core/abdomen is the best way to protect the back. Many core exercises can be done lying flat on the back, and just take tiny micro-movements to build strength.

Again, I'm so glad for this thread because I keep forgetting to address this. I had two horrible spasm episodes last year from some innocuous movement like reaching or turning, where I ended up disabled and in agony for many weeks. It was incredibly painful, and I needed a cane just to help me get out of bed, or remain semi-upright enough to walk. Ugh! Don't want to repeat that!

I had two spasms in my back last year too. I was out in the garden and lifted something to move it and it felt like something dislodged in my lower back. I could hardly move with out searing jolt. It took about 24 hours to go away.

I think that injury has weakened my back now and it is a problem spot.

That back pain is agony Leela.

rosie26

I pull my back out twice a year.....for years now. I keep a back brace beside my bed and go into it instantly when I feel a twinge.....right.......THERE.

Hoping to avoid this this year, I'm doing very gentle stretching every morning. I've had a super cushy yoga mat for over a year, that I'd never used. [sigh] I sit on it and let my knees relax towards the mat, shifting which foot is in front. Once that's settled I do a lot of very very slow neck rolls until I've worked out all the kinks I can. Finally I lie on my belly with my legs like this <> to open my hips.

If I feel fancy I'll do some things on my back with my legs held by a band.......but I don't often feel fancy.

There are so many good exercises, wish I could do a lot more. I often imagine myself going off for a run. I have never been a runner though. And I wouldn't with ME. I read somewhere those new to running should strengthen there core first - makes sense - to save injury.

rosie26

Y

Raindrop, you can also try something else, roll up and large towel (it's softer) and place it under your lower back to see if this relieves pressure. I did this before I bought the back stretcher and it worked fine. The back stretcher is hard so it may not be for everyone.

Would an hour a day be a good start for towel under the back Mij. What did you do. ?

Mij

Rosie, I think you will know what feels right for you, I found just 5 minutes 2x/day enough for me.