• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

potato chip crash

Just wondering who here find potatoe chips their absolute worst food offender. Im telling you, if i have even one potatoe chip im sick for two weeks. I have a couple of local cfs buddies that are exactly like this so i wanted to see how common it is, and if in fact there is some kind of connection as to why a potatoe chip can be so inflammatory

Ayaju

I don't know about potato chips specifically being especially offensive, but I do know that for me ALL grains are problematic, and that includes potatoes, even though it's not a grain... but corn is in the category too.

It's so interesting the progression I've had. First I gave up gluten for 6 months, and that helped me. Then I'm advised by several sources to give up all grains too! And that seemed utterly impossible to achieve!! But NOW it's entirely easy and manageable! It's like... the seed was planted and needed time to grow, and then when I was ready to make the shift, all the cool superfoods and herbs came into my awareness, and I couldn't be happier with my diet!

I've only been off grains for a couple weeks, but I've lost a lb! I haven't been able to lose weight for years! I don't miss sugar either! Stevia and Xylitol do the trick.

Well, looks like you sparked a ramble from me, Roonie!

Judy

shannah

I have a major problem with potato chips as well. They are extremely high in oxalates (as are potatoes) which, if you are reactive to oxalates could be one reason.

Ema

Potato chips are one of my "rescue foods" with the high sodium content plus potassium. But I also have sketchy adrenal function so that may be why this works so well for me. I still try not to eat them more than once a month or so though due to the carbs.

Wayne

It seems a lot of potato chips these days are made using canola oil. Though it is often used in "health food" products, it can actually be quite detrimental. Perhaps something to consider.

Hip

Some flavors of potato chip / crisps contain monosodium glutamate, which some people may be sensitive to.

rosie26

Like @Ema potato chips are a "rescue food" for me too. I have often bought a small packet when I have been out and I notice it picks me up a bit. I don't always remember to buy them. It is just every now and again.

Ema

I have also found potato chips to be excellent predictors of my cycle...if I am found rummaging in the pantry at midnight for chips, the next day is not one to choose to wear the white pants. :D

rosie26

My favorite is chicken, have you tried dipping them into vanilla icecream anyone? really nice :D

beaverfury

beaverfury
Potato chips are one of my "rescue foods" with the high sodium content plus potassium. But I also have sketchy adrenal function so that may be why this works so well for me. I still try not to eat them more than once a month or so though due to the carbs.

Does Cricket get chips as well? She looks expectant.

Ema

I want to get the kimchi chips. We have no unusual flavors here in this country. It is very disappointing.

I usually just get the original Terra chips which are a mixture of root vegetables.

rosie26

A radio talkback host here was talking about how much he loved potato chips and it was the topic of discussion for 3 hours one morning. I had to go out and get some after that. I bet a lot got sold that day here.