• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

sulfur/thiols in supplements for deficiencies: alternatives?

I have hyperammoneia and just found out several supplements I'm taking and have been advised to take, on the Yasko protocol, contain thiols. Off the top of my head, these are the ones I can remember, although I think there may be more:

taking:

- HHI Special Digestive Enzymes (contain papain)
- lactoferrin (derived from whey)
- HHI AmminoAssist (contains l-methionine)

advised to take:
- selenomethionine

It's a conondrum because I need these supplements due to deficiencies, yet I've only been getting worse since I started the Yasko protocol seven months ago, and I'm wondering if those supplements could have contributed to my decline?

Could anyone suggest:

- a decent digestive enzyme compound without quercetin, bromelain and papain
- a good bioavailable form of selenium (Brazil nuts are high in thiols)
- anything else?

18 days ago I started on 1 tbsp ACV before each meal, as it was recommended in the candida protocol with the added benefit of being high in potassium. At the suggestion of a holistic practitioner (who I have sparse contact with, so it's not an option of simply quizzing her in depth about anything), I've also been taking HCI+Pepsin in the middle of each meal intermittently. Would these two things alone help sufficiently, or do I genuinely require a broad spectrum digestive enzyme (or at least require one now, as I've been using them for seven months and by now my body may have already lost the ability to digest without them)?

Gratitude extended in advance :)

adreno

PR activist
There is yeast-based selenium, or sodium selenite.

For digestion, you can take pure pancreatin.

Thanks adreno and maryb.

Unfortunately the TriEnza are too expensive. As I have candida, yeast based selenium isn't an option. Are there any brands you would recommend of sodium selenate or selenite, or anything else?

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@oh_noes
Sorry I only know the tri-enza works for me - I can't tolerate any other kind of digestive enzymes - I also tried Serenaid but not too good for me either - maybe worth a look for you.