• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reverse sleep cycle

Eucalypta

Is there anyone else who has or had a reversed sleep cycle like I do?

It started with my adrenal insufficiency,, I still did produce some cortisol but at the wrong time. My cortisol levels looked like the Swiss Alps. They peeked at 12 midnight and at 12 noon. In between there was almost a flat line.
Meaning my sleep pattern moved from 11:00 pm to falling asleep at 6:00 am in the morning sometimes even still 7:00 am and wake with startle at noon. I try to go back to sleep and get 2 hours more.

It's not that I gently fall asleep but more like I fall unconscious. One minute I'm reading my book, next I know I'm out. I tried every sleep med natural en chemical under the sun until I found a combo that keeps me asleep for a few hours. 0.5mg Xanax + 30 mg of morphine.
That I'm out has not to do with my medication, I can take that 2 hours before or 2 minutes before, the effect is the same.

Over the years(I'm bed and wheelchair bound), I have slowly accepted it and now make sure my productive hours like for a hobby are in the night. But it is not socially acceptable. Gone are the breakfast together with my husband, yes we can have brunch together but his day is half gone when I wake up! All appointments have to be made after 3:00 pm. I have 1 hour of mentally functionality and I then have to lie down in a dark room by 4:00pm if not my adrenals go haywire.

We eat dinner around 8:30 pm, that stuck from living in France :) and it gives my husband a few hours to relax before he starts cooking. After dinner he turns in for the night and my night just starts.

I spoke with KDM about this. He said that because of the length that I'm ill my melatonin has disappeared, it is being used by pathogens, taking melatonin will not help, only feed the nasties. He says it will come back once we start killing all viruses and bacterial infections.

Has any of you been able to turn a reversed sleep cycle around? How did you do it?

*GG*

Is there anyone else who has or had a reversed sleep cycle like I do?

It started with my adrenal insufficiency,, I still did produce some cortisol but at the wrong time. My cortisol levels looked like the Swiss Alps. They peeked at 12 midnight and at 12 noon. In between there was almost a flat line.
Meaning my sleep pattern moved from 11:00 pm to falling asleep at 6:00 am in the morning sometimes even still 7:00 am and wake with startle at noon. I try to go back to sleep and get 2 hours more.

We eat dinner around 8:30 pm, that stuck from living in France :) and it gives my husband a few hours to relax before he starts cooking. After dinner he turns in for the night and my night just starts.

I spoke with KDM about this. He said that because of the length that I'm ill my melatonin has disappeared, it is being used by pathogens, taking melatonin will not help, only feed the nasties. He says it will come back once we start killing all viruses and bacterial infections.

Has any of you been able to turn a reversed sleep cycle around? How did you do it?

My sleep is a mess also, my body would rather sleep during the day, since I have a lot of trouble falling asleep at night! I take at least 30mg of Remeron, muscle relaxant and few other supplements when I go to bed. Never heard of Melatonin feeding the nasties. Do you have a link or idea where about to read such a thing?

I have done the Cortisol saliva testing a few times over the 10 years I have been ill, they are always a mess, reverse of what they should be!

GG

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
That is pretty common with us. I get more awake and wound up at night and have to drug myself to sleep since because no matter what i do I won't sleep during the day.

Look into circadian rhythms. I would think there is something to supplement to help reverse this while waiting for the viruses to get controlled.

Eucalypta

My sleep is a mess also, my body would rather sleep during the day, since I have a lot of trouble falling asleep at night! I take at least 30mg of Remeron, muscle relaxant and few other supplements when I go to bed. Never heard of Melatonin feeding the nasties. Do you have a link or idea where about to read such a thing?

I have done the Cortisol saliva testing a few times over the 10 years I have been ill, they are always a mess, reverse of what they should be!

GG
It was dr de Meirleir who told me this when I discussed it with him because I'm desperate to have a normal schedule again.
He says it won't happen until we kill the pathogens. After that we can focus on restoring the melatonine that is now missing.
He also mentions it in his videos although I'm not sure if that one has been subtitled already. Because I speak Dutch I can understand all without any subtittles.

ukxmrv

My cortisol is very low in the morning and then rises during the day but never to a normal level. Other members of my family have exactly the same pattern. If we get ME it just gets much, much worse.

Melatonin supplementation does help me at night but it took some experimentation to find the right dose for me. I'm taking 1 3mg timed release ones at the moment. I've not noticed any deterioration whilst taking it in my health.

For the "tired but wired" symptom at night some patients take Seriphos. I did try this to see if it would get me to sleep earlier but maybe because my cortisol is still pretty low at night (I don't get tired but wired except in certain rare circumstances), it left me weaker and even groggier the next morning.

Dr Cheney I was told by a patient of his, was finding in some of his patients that the nasal VIP supplement was correcting the circadian problems experienced but I don't know if KDM is using that treatment.

GG
I have read that melatonin is not good if you struggle with depression....I have found this to be true....
My son tried it and also had a very bad reaction...was angry and couldn't even remember what he said...I discontinued it..

It was dr de Meirleir who told me this when I discussed it with him because I'm desperate to have a normal schedule again.
He says it won't happen until we kill the pathogens. After that we can focus on restoring the melatonine that is now missing.
He also mentions it in his videos although I'm not sure if that one has been subtitled already. Because I speak Dutch I can understand all without any subtittles.
Those are the perfect words for how I feel "I am desperate to have a normal schedule again"