• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L carnitine fumarate and anxiety

Hi everyone;

I've been doing great on methyl-B12 and methyl-folate.

Yesterday I added in one capsule of l carnitine fumarate 855 mg.

I have had a major uptick in anxiety since then. Really bad yesterday, and still unpleasant today.

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts on why or how to get rid of it?

Thanks!!

Star-Anise

@jammies Hey there, my carnitine is on its way, but previously Fredd suggested that I go reaaallly slow with the carnitine, i.e. open capsule up & split into many parts, or use the liquid form so easier to take tiny doses due to my tendency to also get an anxiety response to certain supplements, and having some baseline anxiety. Apparently, he said can have to do with where the impairment is in the brain (I think he said the limbic system - which is involved in emotions). My hunch is that it will go away on its own with time. Maybe use some type of calming agent, if you have something that works for you i.e. GABA. But I would only use something that you have pre-established works to calm. For example, GABA does the opposite for me…
Hope that helps,

Christopher

Hi everyone;

I've been doing great on methyl-B12 and methyl-folate.

Yesterday I added in one capsule of l carnitine fumarate 855 mg.

I have had a major uptick in anxiety since then. Really bad yesterday, and still unpleasant today.

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts on why or how to get rid of it?

Thanks!!

I think carnitine makes me anxiety worse as well. I think for me, it may increase ammonia buildup in the gut (http://onibasu.com/archives/am/103436.html).

Lysine seems to increase ammonia as well by interfering with arginine (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3923164).

Last edited:

helen1

The first time I used carnitine f I did like you, took too much and had insomnia and anxiety. This time round, I started with minuscule amounts and was fine. Am now taking 400 mg twice a day, but this has taken me months. It has made a definite improvement in my energy and sleep quality.

Freddd

Thanks everyone. I guess I started way too high. Anxiety is nearly down to baseline today. Maybe in a few days I will try a tiny amount.

Hi Jammies,

Your response is important. It shows something that you may need very much. It's an important clue. It could also be the doorway to healing. Another thing that can happen is then a sudden need for potassium as cell formation gets going. Your situation may very well illustrate the deadlock quartet with the break at the carnitine. Congratulations.

I would suggest a small dose before you fall all the way back down because some people have a bad crash into depression if they let that happen. Something like 1/8 or 1/16 of a capsule might be an appropriate place to start.