• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Mail, again....

SilverbladeTE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...rinking-two-litres-protein-milkshake-DAY.html

hey maybe it's true but like, Daily Mail...makes a change form them baiting Romanians, ick

Mother confined to a wheelchair with chronic fatigue walks again after drinking two litres of protein milkshake a DAY
  • Jeanette Elisha-Elliss, 47, suffered the illness for three years
  • She lost weight and her hair and had terrifying episodes of paralysis
    • Began researching her condition online after doctors couldn't help
    • Discovered was low in nutrients so bought protein shake and beetroot juice
    • Was stunned when her spasms of paralysis disappeared after just two days and she managed to walk in a fortnight
By Anna Hodgekiss

PUBLISHED: 13:11, 6 January 2014 | UPDATED: 13:12, 6 January 2014

120 shares

View
comments

article-2534584-1A7274AF00000578-225_306x423.jpg

Jeanette Elisha-Elliss, who was left confined to a wheelchair with chronic fatigue is walking again - thanks to a daily diet of two litres of milkshakes

A mother-of-three who was left confined to a wheelchair with chronic fatigue is walking again - thanks to a daily diet of two litres of milkshakes.

Jeanette Elisha-Elliss, 47, suffered the mystery illness for three years before her health dramatically deteriorated.

Her weight plunged, her hair began to fall out and she experienced terrifying episodes of complete paralysis.

Doctors failed to find an effective treatment so Jeanette, who had spent four months in a wheelchair, started doing her own research.

She bought a Ph test and discovered a lack of minerals was causing her body to shut down.
Jeanette, a former art teacher, found her cure lay in whey protein shakes.

She bought a big tub for £20 and mixed herself shakes with water every two hours - day and night - as well as large amounts of beetroot juice which is high in nitrates.

She was stunned when her spasms of paralysis disappeared after just two days and she managed to walk in a fortnight.

Mrs Elisha-Elliss said: 'The hospital and doctors couldn’t help me so I had to help myself. I was up in the middle of the night drinking beetroot juice and protein shakes. I was pretty much overdosing on various nutrients.

'The science is out there. People are turning to the internet because they know they are ill, even when medical tests suggest they are not.

'Doctors are missing vital signs of acidity in the body, hormone and neurological disorders.
'Patients are criticised for turning to the internet, but like many other, I felt I had no choice.'

More...

Mrs Elisha-Elliss, of Belstead, Suffolk, started to lose muscle control in May, shortly after marrying gardener Kevin, 51.

She went to her GP and was immediately referred to hospital because she was showing the signs of a stroke.

But blood, urine and EMG tests all came back blank and doctors were unable to find a diagnosis.

Jeanette says she was dismissed as a hypochondriac by hospital staff in Ipswich and decided to take her treatment into her own hands.

article-2534584-1A7274BB00000578-761_634x674.jpg

From internet research, she discovered that a lack of minerals was causing her body to shut down. She bought a tub of protein shake and drank one every two hours. She also drank large amounts of beetroot juice

She believes her symptoms were linked to low mineral and amino acid levels in her body - something not tested for by doctors.

Jeanette has now managed to balance her hormone levels, lower her blood pressure, stabilise her weight and regain her short-term memory.

The protein shakes help address her lack of amino acids while the beetroot juice helps maintain the level of nitrates in her system.

They work together to trigger receptors for both the nervous system and the hormone levels.

Mrs Elisha-Elliss claims it is this lack of this nutrition that led to her spasms of paralysis and extreme tiredness.

She has now written a book about her experience called The Eli Diet Theory - hopes to educate others on the importance of diet to good health.

She added: “We are putting our faith into some medical professionals who believe they know more about our bodies than we do.

article-2534584-1A7274A700000578-638_306x423.jpg

Mrs Elisha-Elliss said was stunned when her spasms of paralysis disappeared after just two days and she managed to walk in a fortnight

'Trying to suggest you have any understanding of a condition leaves you open to criticism, judgement and possible labels of hypochondria.

'By not understanding basic human biochemistry, patients are being pushed towards antidepressant and psychiatric doctors who are even less qualified to diagnose organic medical problems.

'Although people are living longer, we are not getting healthier.'

Nutrition coach Susan Hart confirmed that protein shakes and beetroot juice can improve health - but recommended a natural source.

She said: “Each case has to be treated on an individual basis but it is understandable how taking protein in this instance would have had a dramatic effect.

'The main things we need protein for are energy and muscle mass. It makes up our bodies building blocks so without it you are certainly going to feel the effects.

'The protein supplement shakes are always really precise so they are good in the sense that you can see the exact levels of what you’re putting in your body.

'My advice would be to try a natural source of protein first as the supplements tend to contain a lot of sugar and carbohydrates. I would go for eggs or grilled chicken.'

A spokeswoman from The Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust said: 'We are aware of Mrs Ellis’ concerns and we have responded to them accordingly. We wish Mrs Ellis all the best with the publication of her new book.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2534584/Mother-confined-wheelchair-chronic-fatigue-walks-drinking-two-litres-protein-milkshake-DAY.html#ixzz2pdwE2R8A
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I wonder if she had malnutrition or lack of vitamins and minerals, not M.E. She actually says as much in the article that she believes she had "lack of nutrition".

Perhaps the hospital and her doctor didn't do enough tests.

It's frustrating tha people like her (lack of nutrition, or people with undiagnosed thyroid problems/celiac intolerance get diagnosed with ME.

Bob

It all sounded fairly implausible to me and then I got to the text promoting the product (and then it made sense.)
Good nutrition is important, especially for people with chronic illness, and perhaps an increased intake of protein and nitrate helped this individual, but I very much doubt if protein shakes and beetroot juice are a cure for ME/CFS.

rosie26

Is it possible to cure or turn around autoimmune/neurological disease by getting mineral and vitamin balance correct in the body ? If the mineral and vitamin balance are good, wouldn't the hormones function better. ?
I am sure it would improve a lot of symptoms but I wonder if it could take you all the way out of the disease, anyone know.

Last edited:

Tito

To me, she had the wrong diagnosis made by incompetent doctors. Lack of nutrients should be the first thing to investigate.
Ps: it says nowhere she was diagnosed with ME, the only mention is about Chronic Fatigue which is a dust bin for anything incompetent doctors cannot diagnosed (even basic nutrition deficiencies)

Ambrosia_angel

Well she probably never had ME/cfs like most of us on this forum. I think it's just a diagnosis to explain pain, fatigue and brain fog which can have many causes and other diagnosis'. It's a bit like the disability cerebral palsy which is a giant umbrella term.
These basic symptoms as we know can be attributed to anything. I'm pretty sure no general Dr or gp diagnoses cfs based on reoccurring infections or other "cfs" problems we know that they wouldn't.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
I do not respond well to either high protein shakes or beetroot juice.

taniaaust1

Is it possible to cure or turn around autoimmune/neurological disease by getting mineral and vitamin balance correct in the body ? If the mineral and vitamin balance are good, wouldn't the hormones function better. ?
I am sure it would improve a lot of symptoms but I wonder if it could take you all the way out of the disease, anyone know.

Yeah .. fixing a deficiency can have dramatic affects if the persons issue all along was some severe deficiency (I wonder what deficiency/deficiencies she had) .. some deficiencies do cause neurological issues.

taniaaust1

Was that a satisfied grin I just saw from a certain Professor :nerd:

Yeah he'd be loving this one..\

She bought a Ph test and discovered a lack of minerals was causing her body to shut down

Either the newspaper screwed up her story (which wouldnt surprise me) or its WHAT!! .. How on earth would a Ph test tell you what deficiencies you have.. Im sure they dont. Hence this whole story would make any doctors out there who read this, think this lady was just delusion about her symptoms but then just came out of her delusion. They'd be thinking "yes those ME/CFS patients have mental issues".

What really got to me about this story was the end part.. which said that just eggs and grilled chicken can fix many of us. That's the most ridiculous thing Ive heard for a while, it's as bad as my fired nutritionist telling me that not watching TV cures ME/CFS. (what's it with nutritionists and their expert ME/CFS advice?)

Whey protein.. well it was helping me for a very short time.. that is until I suddenly became so intollerant that I ended up having to wear nappies!, so had no other choice but to stop it. (its one of the rare things which did help me, it worked on me over all, helping me feel a little heathier).

Beetroot.. that may of helped me. I was juice fasting and did this juicing of several ingredients, I think it had beetroot in it and it was helping (but I couldnt do complete juice fasting forever and it was soo hard work)

Firestormm

Perhaps an answer to returning to health is simple belief (or indoctrination). Believing that such-and-such is working wonders. Believing that your own remedies will help others. Believing that selling something will lead to a better life... Hey-ho. I dare say we shouldn't think ourselves immune from snake-oil. No other illness is. Still it is a bit of a piss-take for me, when on Christmas Day, the Daily Mail online, carried THIS story, and now they carry that one. Perhaps Jessica would like to try drinking beetroot juice? (I am being ironic). I seem to recall many helpful suggestions being made to me whilst I was at my worst in the first few years. One thing I came to learn was the need to be extremely tolerant of others - never caught on with me I am afraid :)

GhostGum

Ah am I missing something here? I do not see anything mentioned about ME or CFS or her being diagnosed with it, just chronic fatigue in the heading; I guess if this leads some to think it is the same condition as ME then its a problem.

I was thinking from the heading on this thread it was going to be another cringe worthy Michael Hanlon style article and this actually criticises the system for their lack of biological/organic/nutritional knowledge, psychological misdiagnosis and over prescription of anti-depressants; all nicely welcome.

Do not see what the big deal is relating to ME here, the glaring factual errors and her selling a book are another story.

Bob

What really got to me about this story was the end part.. which said that just eggs and grilled chicken can fix many of us. That's the most ridiculous thing Ive heard for a while, it's as bad as my fired nutritionist telling me that not watching TV cures ME/CFS. (what's it with nutritionists and their expert ME/CFS advice?)
I'm glad I didn't make it to the end of the article!

Mij

Guys, I'm not seeing where they said she had ME or even CFS. It says she had "chronic fatigue". they used this term to describe many health conditions. Ok so they say "mysterious illness" well that what she had, a mysterious illness. Even a few doctors I've spoken to say chronic fatigue but know the distinction between CFS and chronic fatigue.

Magnesium and Omega 3 deficiencies caused many neuro problems for me and when I replenished them I felt improved.

Bob

Guys, I'm not seeing where they said she had ME or even CFS. It says she had "chronic fatigue". they used this term to describe many health conditions.
I didn't notice this when I first read it. I'm so used to reading similar articles referring to people who were diagnosed with CFS. However, it is highly likely that such a patient (experiencing chronic fatigue with unknown cause or etiology) would be given a CFS diagnosis, which demonstrates how important it is to have strictly defined diagnostic criteria and highly trained medical staff who can distinguish ME from CFS, and CFS from other fatiguing illnesses.

I suppose that the article demonstrates the heterogeneity of chronic fatigue.

Last edited:

Firestormm

Someone reading it may still think - if they have any form of chronic fatigue - that the snakeoil was worth a shot. Personally, Chronic Fatigue is one of my symptoms - along with several others. It is not my diagnosis. But I guarantee that desperate people, and 'helpful' friends and relations, will be 'suggesting' to those affected that they 'mash up some beet'.