• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice on amalgam removal?

Moshi

In about one month's time I am scheduled to have my fillings replaced. I have two (rather big) amalgam fillings and I've had them for 32(!) years, now they will both be replaced with composite on the same day. The amalgam removal is of course part of my ongoing "healing regimen" to combat ME, and I am planning to incorporate a chelation protocol, such as Cutlers, in perhaps 3-4 mobths time. I am on a active B/methylation protocol since 3+months now.
I really need advice from other ME/CFS people who have had their fillings replaced, how should I supplement before, during and after the procedure? The dentist is using air suction, rubber dam and ventilation. What should I be doing?
Thankful for your input and advice!

xrunner

If you have not read it, get hold of Cutler's book and stick to the advice in there, it answers all your questions.
That's what I did and always declined any other chelation, supplement regime my dentist or others suggested before, during and after removal.
If you're severely affected by ME you may consider going more slowly and remove one amalgam per session rather than two especially if they're placed in two different quadrants (note that dentists will always push for removing more amalgams).

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Moshi
I agree with xrunner - only have one filling removed at a time if at all possible. I'm the same and wanted to rush my last 3 but was advised by my doctor to wait at least a month inbetween and of course she's right.

The usual which I'm sure you know already - use charcoal and chorella for a couple of weeks before plus vit c - on the day NO vit c - take chorella tablet before appt and rinse mouth out with chorella, and spit - rinse with charcoal for as long as you can and swallow. this will help to absorb any mercury going down the gut.

After appt rinse around your mouth for as long as possible with charcoal and SPIT OUT.

helen1

I'm at the same place as you, Moshi. Had one amalgam removed 3 weeks ago, having 2 removed TODAY! and then 2 more sessions. Will do like you, Cutler chelation starting in a few months. I did very well 3 weeks ago at my first session, absolutely no PEM from it. I took 5 mg of charcoal right before the session, as I've read it's almost impossible not to ingest some vapour during the session and that would clear any recent mercury from your blood.

I counted how many seconds the drilling took: 25 to remove the amalgam! It was awful while it lasted but 25 seconds is short. And then a bit more of course to get things to fit properly.

This Swedish study also showed that B12 helped, near bottom of page:
http://www.whale.to/w/b12.html

All the best.

Star-Anise

@Moshi my naturopath advised to do iv vitamin C day before, and day after. I did it, & it seemed to really work. my health has steadily improved since. I wish the same for you!
I have not attempted any chelation agents yet due to my ++sensitivity to sulphur, which most chelation agents have an abundance of...
xoxo :)

Moshi

Wow, thanks y'all for great advice!!!

Xrunner - I have not yet invested in Cutler's book but will do so now. It does seem like his theories are the most established out of all...my dentist actually advised me to have two separate appointments with a month in between but I opted to have both fillings removed at once, I can still change my mind about this though...

MaryB - thanks so much, I was vaguely aware of this but you made it clearer, I will do exactly as you say.

Helen1 - thanks for charing your experience, I hope everything went well at the dentist yesterday, as you said it went previously (comforting to hear).
The study you linked to is interesting (however it disturbs me that it says that the author, who has now passed, was linked to/associated with Karolinska Institutet, I work for KI myself and cannot see any such connection, Swedish wikipedia says that she was an MD ( not PhD) and at one time a research assistant at Stockholm University) however, interesting nonetheless, BUT....are there any concerns about taking large doses of methylcobalamin during amalgam removal..? RvK seemed to think that methylcobalamin could potentially move mercury into the brain...and that does not sould good if you have in increased exposure as you will probably have during removal...? Thoughts on that, anyone?

Star-Anise - you mean your health improved after amalgam removal? Congratulations, very promising :) it's not like the Swedish healthcaresystem will be able to help me with IV vit C, that's out of the question, however I will treat myself with high dose (suggestion Re:dose amount ?) liposomal vit C and hope for the best :) in your signature it looks like you only have one (1!!!) homozygous SNP? Which SNP's are associated with the sulphur sensitivity (I forgot) I have a sneaky suspicion that I also have these SNP's which would make chelation more difficult, at least Cutler's standard protocols...

Thanks again for valuable input!!!

Star-Anise

Star-Anise - you mean your health improved after amalgam removal? Congratulations, very promising :) it's not like the Swedish healthcaresystem will be able to help me with IV vit C, that's out of the question, however I will treat myself with high dose (suggestion Re:dose amount ?) liposomal vit C and hope for the best :) in your signature it looks like you only have one (1!!!) homozygous SNP? Which SNP's are associated with the sulphur sensitivity (I forgot) I have a sneaky suspicion that I also have these SNP's which would make chelation more difficult, at least Cutler's standard protocols...
@Moshi yep, my health really did. It wasn't instantaneous. I would say it was a progressive improvement over a few months. I am, however, doing quite a bit of other stuff, so I think the cumulative effect is working in my favour. What I noticed the most is my increased ability to tolerate methyl donors. Prior to having the fillings removed I would go into super-detox mode very easily (where I would see a sharp increase in fatigue and general malaise). I was able to increase my methyl-donors quite significantly following the removal. As well, I was having so many problems with my hormones (estrogen dominance), & water retention prior to removal. This is slowly resolving as well.
With respect to the snps associated with sulphur difficulties it is the CBS snps, and you have the exact two that I have. Please note there is a lot of controversy around these snps. Many believe that there is not enough research to support any consideration of them being involved in sulphur metabolism. All I know is that sulphur avoidance was a major game changer for me. I remember in my earlier days when I was searching for solutions I had stumbled on Cutler's work and was trying a small amount of alpha lipoic acid and I would get so completely agitated and revved up from taking the smallest amount. Through the years this started to happen with any sulphur source, such as onions and garlic or I would get unexplainable fatigue. When I read Yasko's work on CBS gene abnormalities, I felt so validated, because everyone/everything pointed to sulphur being a good thing because it aided in detoxification.
In regards to the Vitamin C, all I can offer you is that my naturopath said that any vitamin C taken orally doesn't have anywhere near the effects of IV administration. But I dunno, I would think it would help on some level. I personally haven't had any positive effects from oral vitamin C. When I got my first vitamin C IV infusion it was amazing. My head cleared significantly, and I had a huge energy surge with no crash. The Canadian healthcare system doesn't pay for them either. I have to pay out of my own pocket & they are about $80 Canadian dollars each. I have been able to do a few, and we've started to add various B vitamins in as well. I would go slow if you are going to do, because I did try once before and the naturopath I was seeing at the time suggested a Myer's Cocktail, which has some pretty standard ingredients in, but it was waaaaaay to much for my compromised system at the time. This time round I started with just the vitamin C, which is beet based not corn, as corn products can be more allergenic. I didn't know that most Vitamin C that one can buy on the market is corn based! In speaking to my naturopath she said that Vitamin C is such a powerful anti-inflammatory especially when taken IV. She said it is a standard treatment for hepatitis in the natural health world, and this leads me to think that a lot of my problems are due to a sluggish liver and also an inflamed gut.

When I had my fillings removed, I just took my methyl supplements as I was doing on a daily basis, no changes. I don't know where, but I read about other people on this forum doing the same thing. The thoughts was that supporting the methylation cycle would be beneficial to aide any natural detox efforts by the body. But that is just conjecture really, I don't have any studies to support.

Hope that helps, & best of luck to you. My theory out is better that in when it comes to fillings. Do your best to reduce the harm, and rest, rest, rest leading up to and afterward. And let us know how it goes! xoxo

Moshi

Dear Star-Anise,
Thanks for all your valuable advice and comments once again!
Interesting stuff Re: your increased tolerance of methyl donors post removal...I hope that will apply to be too as I seem to be a bit sensitive as well. In regards to the CBS mutations, I have yet not recognized myself as sulfur-sensitive, however, have not really looked for it (love the sulphur stuff, onions, garlic, the occasional glass of wine...) and not sure exactly how to distinguish it apart from other symptoms...
I have taken ALA (R) previously during a couple of months two years back and didn't notice a strong reaction, if I'll be able to tolerate it it would make it easier to follow the Cutler protocol I suppose...I am btw waiting for his "amalgam illness" book to arrive in the mail now.
On antioxidants; does anyone have any thoughts/experience of astaxanthin/zeaxanthin...supposedly v strong antioxidant, could one use this perhaps with vit C and E and others..?

Moshi

The time of my appointment for amalgam removal i drawing closer and I am confused even though having skimmed through Cutler's book (so little time for reading!)

Does Cutler recommend the use of Chorella? And if so, should it be used before as well as after removal? Is Chorella advisable for someone with a +/- CBS and COMT status?

When does Cutler recommend starting the chelation protocol? In his book he mentions both days after removal and months after removal?

A lot of info Re: amalgam removal says "absolutely NO B12 during removal" should I consider stopping my methylation protocol, or MeClb at least, during the days before, during and after the removal?

Star-Anise

@Moshi hey there:) If you have specific questions re: Cutler protocol & not getting answers on this forum maybe try this yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/frequent-dose-chelation/info
I followed it for awhile & it is a very active group that is devoted to the Cutler protocol.

re:
Is Chorella advisable for someone with a +/- CBS and COMT status?
With Chlorella use i don't think the COMT status is the problem, I'm not aware that Chlorella is a methyl donor. It would be the CBS status if this gene is active that might pose a problem with Chlorella use due to high sulphur content. I know that I *cannot* use it. I get super agitated and/or heavy fatigue.

Hope that helps;),

xrunner

The time of my appointment for amalgam removal i drawing closer and I am confused even though having skimmed through Cutler's book (so little time for reading!)

Does Cutler recommend the use of Chorella? And if so, should it be used before as well as after removal? Is Chorella advisable for someone with a +/- CBS and COMT status?

When does Cutler recommend starting the chelation protocol? In his book he mentions both days after removal and months after removal?

A lot of info Re: amalgam removal says "absolutely NO B12 during removal" should I consider stopping my methylation protocol, or MeClb at least, during the days before, during and after the removal?

There's a support protocol you're supposed to start before removal, it's described in the book.
He does not recommend Chlorella, and many other popular "chelators" because they can cause damage. I used it before I knew anything about Cutler and with hindsight I experienced redistribution, so I think he's right on this. Your polymorphisms are irrelevant.
I don't remember the issue with B12 during removal but if you have any doubts about any aspects of the protocol you'll find helpful joining this support group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/frequent-dose-chelation/info

I second the yahoo group - they have been amazing for me. There are also a few blogs dedicated to the cutler protocol that are good so you may want to check some out.

Cutler recommends either no chelation OR chelation with either DMSA or DMPS starting about 1 week after amalgam removal. Three months after amalgam removal, chelation with ALA can begin.

The biggest take home is to make sure you get the timing right on rounds. Frequent dosing is required for success according to this protocol. Also, Vitamin C, E, magnesium and zinc are considered essential to making any progress.

Moshi

Star-Anise, Xrunner and Jammies, thanks so much for making things clearer for me! Will visit the group recommended, and it's the ALA that should not be used before three months post removal, thanks!!
Has anyone here experience with using DMPS?