• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

when can you take vitamin c if you are taking vitamin K2 ?

vortex

Everybody says not to take vitamin k2 at the same time as vitamin C or E, but if thats the case then......

If you are supposed to take k2 mk4 3 times a day then when are you supposed to take vitamin c/e ??

Ema

I've not seen the recommendation not to take K2 with C or E.

The Linus Pauling Institute says this on nutrient interactions:

Large doses of vitamin A and vitamin E have been found to antagonize vitamin K(6). Excess vitamin A appears to interfere with vitamin K absorption, whereas a form of vitamin E (tocopherol quinone) may inhibit vitamin K-dependent carboxylase enzymes. One study in adults with normal coagulation status found that supplementation with 1,000 IU of vitamin E for 12 weeks decreased gamma-carboxylation of prothrombin, a vitamin K-dependent protein (51). A vitamin E-vitamin K interaction has also been reported in patients taking anticoagulatory drugs like warfarin. Hemorrhage (excessive bleeding) was reported in a man taking 5 mg of warfarin and 1,200 IU of vitamin E daily (52).

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminK/

Hip

Can you provide a weblink to where it says vitamin K2 and vitamin C should not be taken at the same time?

Hip

not sure where the notion first came from, but many cite it that you shouldnt mix them.
not sure what happens or why but would love to know.

"It should NOT be taken at the same time as Vit C or Vit E."

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...k-2-mk-4-or-mk7-helped-you.15605/#post-251472

Perhaps @Asklipia can say where she read that vitamin K2 and vitamin C should not be taken at the same time.

Certainly the above link provided by Ema explains why large doses of vitamin A and vitamin E can antagonize vitamin K, but no mention is made of vitamin C in that link.

vortex

good point, I wonder if she meant vitamin A and E and not vitamin C and E ?

Asklipia

Perhaps @Asklipia can say where she read that vitamin K2 and vitamin C should not be taken at the same time.

Certainly the above link provided by Ema explains why large doses of vitamin A and vitamin E can antagonize vitamin K, but no mention is made of vitamin C in that link.
@Hip and @vortex
I looked for a reference and could not find it. But what I DO remember is that there was a good reason for avoiding taking both at the same time, as explained by a doctor years ago.
Most probably because Vit C lowers blood cholesterol, which is very necessary for the absorption of vitamin K.
I used to take Vit C when I woke up, Vit K then later at breakfast.
Good luck!

vortex

well blood cholesterol isnt going to affect vitamin absorption from the intestine.

I have been experimenting with taking them at the same time and I feel really good when I take them at the same time, much better than if I took them separately. So there is some sort of synergy going on with them. I do know vitamin k2 boost collagen in the bone and probably in general and vitamin c is a huge part of collagen building block, so it makes sense that they would work together. Not sure why I feel better though as building collagen shouldnt neccessarily give you a sense of wellbeing, so there must be something else.