• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Personality has little effect on mortality: large cohort

Simon

Personality and All-Cause Mortality: Individual-Participant Meta-Analysis of 3,947 Deaths in 76,150 Adults

Abstract
Personality may influence the risk of death, but the evidence remains inconsistent.

We examined associations between personality traits of the five-factor model (extraversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, conscientiousness, and openness to experience) and the risk of death from all causes through individual-participant meta-analysis of 76,150 participants from 7 cohorts (the British Household Panel Survey, 2006–2009; the German Socio-Economic Panel Study, 2005–2010; the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia Survey, 2006–2010; the US Health and Retirement Study, 2006–2010; the Midlife in the United States Study, 1995–2004; and the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study's graduate and sibling samples, 1993–2009).

During 444,770 person-years at risk, 3,947 participants (54.4% women) died (mean age at baseline = 50.9 years; mean follow-up = 5.9 years). Only low conscientiousness—reflecting low persistence, poor self-control, and lack of long-term planning—was associated with elevated mortality risk when taking into account age, sex, ethnicity/nationality, and all 5 personality traits. Individuals in the lowest tertile of conscientiousness had a 1.4 times higher risk of death (hazard ratio = 1.37, 95% confidence interval: 1.18, 1.58) compared with individuals in the top 2 tertiles. This association remained after further adjustment for health behaviors, marital status, and education. In conclusion, of the higher-order personality traits measured by the five-factor model, only conscientiousness appears to be related to mortality risk across populations.
----

The great thing about using mortality as a marker is that it is an unambiguous outcome ;). This study found that the traits of extraversion, neuroticism, agreeableness and openness to experience had no effect on mortality, while conscientiousness had a small effect (1.4x higher mortality rate for those with the bottom third of conscientiousness scores).

beaverfury

beaverfury
This association remained after further adjustment for health behaviors, marital status, and education.
----

I wonder what 'health behaviours', means ?

Could the 'low conscientiousness' - low persistence, poor self control, lack of long term planning reflect a prior health concern, or did they take this into account?

alex3619

Low conscientiousness possibly includes lack of care to risk, or actively seeking risk for the thrill. Health behaviour would include smoking, exercise, alcohol and diet I would have thought.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Cue CBT trials for the low conscientiousness? When those fail, then cue the weak face-saving arguments for why small (cough) "moderate" improvements in self-reported conscientiousness are more important than objective mortality anyway?

Firestormm

I don't understand and can't see any relevance to anything important. Sorry. Are you conscientious? Yes. Well keep that up and you'll die sooner? But that's what we ever being told to be. From our parents, our schools, our employers, the Government. And it's another subjective measure. Waste of bloody time and money doing this crap.