• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hesitant to start Allergy Immunotherapy!

Ayaju

Hi friends ~

After reading this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...gy-immunotherapy-allergy-shots-for-cfs.15408/ I'm changing my mind about starting the allergy shots my doctor recommends!

I'm a bit desperate though, as my allergies are out of control and I'm utterly miserable. I refuse to use steroids and cortisone, so the shots seemed like an alternative as they are injections of the things I am allergic to... which sounds horrid enough! Right now I need Afrin to breathe.

I can't help thinking that if I do a cleansing detox and try to treat my symptoms nutritionally, and keep drinking structured water (only been doing that for 2 months) I might get better. My conventional doctor disagrees.

I don't know what information or advice you can offer me, but right now I think I want to call my doctor and cancel the treatment before her nurse starts mixing the formula for me. Last night my doctor told me it would take a week for it to be ready.

Thanks, Judy

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Everyones experience with things is their own. To not get treatment for something that is a real problem for you because of one person's experience makes no sense.

I got allergy shots when I was first ill and had no problems with them and I wouldn't hesitate now. If you don't do things that have made other people sick you'll never do anything.

Ayaju

I now feel good about my decision to wait. There were many pwc's that had bad consequences; there are other threads on the topic. There are a few pwc's who the shots did nothing for but rob their money! This new even healthier (healthier than I'm already doing) path that I'm embarking on could turn out to be the ticket, so I'm grateful I came here before I started the shots! I think I heard what I needed to hear! I don't think the negative experiences of others could have stopped me if I was certain in my soul the shots were right for me.

I am undecided about getting allergy shots.

I think the specific allergy would be better if I got them (if I was able to keep on schedule) but how much would it help overall, since I would still have my chemical sensitivities, PEM, etc?

That is what I want to know. I think it would only help a little with fatigue.

And there is a chance it hurts me overall. I think the chance is small but I don't think there is any way to know how big or small.

A few other related PR threads:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ical-sensivity-and-allergy-shots-drops.21254/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...potentiated-desensitisation.4860/#post-106097

I wish there were more about this (immunotherapy) here. If there are other related threads, please post here or send me message.

fwiw: i took allergy shots for many years as a child, and while it may have helped some with hayfever type symptoms, the allergies were just as bad when stopped. People may say these standard shots "desensitize" you, so after 3 years you are 'better". This was not my experience. I may be mistaken, but I think i read somewhere that suggested that standard immunotherapy (desensitization) does not continue after stopping. This may be in the LDA ( Low Dose Allergen immunotherapy) literature. LDA actually sounds promising in that it supposedly has lasting effect (after about a year or so, with a lot less treatments), and supposedly can treat some food sensitivities. I am still not sure about it for chemical sensitivities, which seems (to me) to be some strange out-of-control immune response to 1000s of things, and I just am not sure anything could contain the 1000s of allergens needed (seems like too many could be dangerous also).

I now am extremely chemically sensitive to most things (resulting in extreme pain) along with most food, and still react to the old allergies. I did try allgergy shots since this started, and they did not seem to help, and stopped as they seemed to make things worse for a while immediately following the shot (i dont think there was long-lasting effect). Please dont let my experience to deter you, there may be other factors involved (e.g. allergen concentration) and, we are all a bit different in this. I am not advising, just sharing experience.

Bottom line is that I dont think anyone quite understands this illness, and one can only try things that may help. It has been, to say the least, fustrating, and nothing seems to help me. Antihistamine makes things worse, decongestants make things worse, oral steroids even makes things worse...

Here is nother related thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/am-i-“allergic-to-life”.26258/

good luck, please let us know if you are able to find some relief.

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ayaju
I was going to reply before but have felt so ill everything became such an effort.......

I just wanted to say I understand your difficulties in making the decision - especially saying no to your doc...
I wish someone had told me there was a risk that LDI may make me worse - they didn't and it did... much worse. But I have to say I've also met many people at the clinic who have been helped very much by it so????
But if I'd been told before of the possible negative consequences I wouldn't have taken the risk.
So glad you made the decision to stick with what you are doing.

brenda

Hi friends ~

After reading this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...gy-immunotherapy-allergy-shots-for-cfs.15408/ I'm changing my mind about starting the allergy shots my doctor recommends!

I'm a bit desperate though, as my allergies are out of control and I'm utterly miserable. I refuse to use steroids and cortisone, so the shots seemed like an alternative as they are injections of the things I am allergic to... which sounds horrid enough! Right now I need Afrin to breathe.

I can't help thinking that if I do a cleansing detox and try to treat my symptoms nutritionally, and keep drinking structured water (only been doing that for 2 months) I might get better. My conventional doctor disagrees.

I don't know what information or advice you can offer me, but right now I think I want to call my doctor and cancel the treatment before her nurse starts mixing the formula for me. Last night my doctor told me it would take a week for it to be ready.

Thanks, Judy
Hi Judy

I had this treatment 15 years ago and it made me worse. I found out that 25% are worsened. The clinic I now attend wants me to have it again, saying that they do not do it the same way. I feel that the risk of worsening is too much when I am not given a guarantee that it will work. I am hypersensitive to everything.

I had a friend without ME/CFS who had ADHD (autism spectrum disorder) and very bad allergies. He had shots and they helped a lot. He still has some allergies, maybe 1/4 of what he had before.

I am also interested in NAET. I can't remember if they do allergies that are not foods. I hope they do. I knew someone with ME/CFS who got NAET and saw benefit, but it seems it's only a small help when you have all these ME/CFS problems.

Thanks for the links, AbbyDear. I need to research EPD. It is sounding better than regular allergy shots through an allopathic doc.