• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Out of Darkness Comes Light - mysteriously beautiful photographs from a bedbound sufferer

View the Post on the Blog

By Penny Clare

"I stayed alone in the darkness and the impossible became possible" - anon

The bedsheets take flight I

I was mostly confined to bed in a dark room - for years, and years, and years.

At some point, in this isolated sea, I started taking photos. From my bed, in the dark. And my relationship to my illness and circumstances took on a different meaning and found creative expression. It was my way of creating movement.

The vast majority of my photos were shot with no artificial or natural daylight, though daylight was occasionally gleaned from a small opening or crack in the curtains or door.

What had been an atrocious impediment, severe light sensitivity, actually became a wonderful asset as I started to perceive different nuances and subtleties of light, depending on the time of day, season or level of my light sensitivity in any given moment. I began to explore hidden possibilities behind the mundane (awful) reality of my day-to-day existence.

The bedsheets take flight II
In my exhaustion I made no attempt whatsoever to move objects or to compose pictures or prettify myself for the camera. The snapshots capture fleeting chinks of light and mysterious beauty that remained unseen by anything or anyone other than the camera. The highly energised and dynamic images appear as if they've come from another world. They turned the facts of my illness inside out and upside down. They express what ought to be clear to everyone but rarely is acknowledged in our culture, that the essence of a human being experiencing profound illness and disability is untouched and unconquerable. They make their statements silently, without words of frustration or protest, which by any account I was too ill to make.

I had spent what seemed interminable years in a state where living and dying had become so merged that I could not actually fulfil either condition. Creating photographic images with just a couple of seconds worth of 'energy' helped me to feel more alive, it tipped the balance giving me sensations of movement and expansion when I viewed them. There is an ancient Mayan saying "out of darkness comes light". I think of my photos and smile.

None of these photos were engineered using photoshop techniques, though 'light fill' was used to reveal what lay hidden in the shade of the room.

Crown of pillows

The bed deconstructing into its elements

A fingernail celebrates New Year

Journey to the centre of the futon I

Journey to the centre of the futon II

Sunrise over planet duvet

White flag above my bed (apologies to Dido)

Sense of self goes up in flames

Light's umbilical

Three wishes

The river runs through me
'The river runs through me' is a self-portrait: Penny's eye is in the top left corner. She said "This is the first image I took. I felt so ill it was as if I was dying and no one in the outside world could see me and I wanted a way to document the depths of suffering people can go through."

Tweets and Facebook shares of the blog are welcome :)
Penny really wants to share this photo blog so people can get a window into the world of severe ME. So please do feel free to post an individual photo on facebook and twitter with a link back to this blog and mention Penny as the artist, (the link will be enough on twitter, given the limitations). Thanks
The blog link is http://phoenixrising.me/archives/21305
© Copyright Penny Clare. Please do not reproduce any images without permission

Penny no longer uses computers, but this email address wil be monitored on her behalf and messages will be passed on to her.

Phoenix Rising is a registered 501 (c)(3) non profit. We support ME/CFS and NEID patients through rigorous reporting, reliable information, effective advocacy and the provision of online services which empower patients and help them to cope with their isolation.

There are many ways you can help Phoenix Rising to continue its work. If you feel able to offer your time and talent, we could really use some more authors, proof-readers, fundraisers, technicians etc. and we'd love to expand our Board of Directors. So, if you think you can help then please contact Mark through the Forum.

And don't forget: you can always support our efforts at no cost to yourself as you shop online through the Phoenix Rising Store! To find out about more ways you can support Phoenix Rising, please visit our Donate page by clicking the button below.

View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the artist who took these images and have spent many hours on the phone over the years trying to help her to get these images out there. And I failed - because I had my own work and have M.E. also. Arts officers never really understood how ill she was and how it would take either a whole lot of money and lots of one-to-one support to bring these things to fruition publicly. In the end, like with so many aspects of her life, and other people with severe M.E. / similar illnesses, she ended up ***just doing it***, not only releasing these images to the public, but also, by the looks of it, continuing to make new work in this way. I've never seen a more complete, simple and intelligent way of communicating a sense of worth through incarceration. This work needs to be seen by more people, so if you like it please do share. I've seen people on Facebook and twitter liking it - but it really helps if we share the images. I was so delighted on Christmas eve to come across not only this post from Penny but also discover the Phoenix Rising site also. This is really Penny's Mount Kilimanjaro and we should spread the word. It's one of the best Christmas gifts!

They didn't seem to mind sharing her work on social media, as long as she is mentioned as the artist - Copyright infringement happens when people download these pictures without permission and/or claim them as being theirs.
Usually it is safe to attach the link of the origin of the work we are sharing- for instance the link to the page on PR forums.

Please do share these photos on facebook and twitter :thumbsup:

Penny really wants to share these photos so people can get a window into the world of severe ME. So please do feel free to post an individual photo on facebook and twitter with a link back to this blog and mention Penny as the artist, as Leela says (maybe just the link on twitter, given the limitations).

The blog link is http://phoenixrising.me/archives/21305

Penny has been moved and touched by all the wonderful comments but is exhausted at the moment with Christmas so more from her later.

Thanks for all the shares, and Happy Christmas

Favourite photos?
It's a great collection of photos, and I have two individual favourites:
Sunrise over planet duvet
Journey to the centre of the futon II

I'd be happy to have these framed and hung on my walls.
(Apart from being great photos they'd also provoke interesting discussions.)
Sunrise over Planet Duvet is intense and I can really feel the licking heat. Thank you Penny.
Cool! I think the bed deconstruction one is the best, but was hard to pick.
That looks like 2 for Planet duvet and 1 each for 'Journey to the centre of the futon II' & 'Bed deconstructing'

I'll add another vote for "Journey to the centre of the futon II" though I also love Light's umbilical
and while I find "A river runs through me" disconcerting it does a wondeful job of giving severe ME a face.

Any other votes or nominations?

Thank you for sharing these beautiful, inspirational photos! I love to see people suffering with illness so severely turn around and create something beautiful in the midst of it all. I am moderately affected and live a somewhat normal life- but have seen people completely bedridden living a more fulfilling life- creating a charity, etc.,etc. Best Wishes and peace to youin this New Year!

"The bedsheets take flight I" is my favorite. Something about it seems so alive to me. Thank you so much for sharing and adding something beautiful to the world. Best wishes and thoughts of healing, (now and) throughout for the coming new year.

My favorite is three wishes.......reminds me of a dream I had one night of three stars flying out of the constellation Pleiades and left me with a peaceful feeling. I am truly moved. There is so much more than meets the eye.

Stunning, beautiful work. Is Penny on 500PX? She should be; of course, that would take another person's help and support to do so. I have photographer friends who would find the composition and lighting for these amazing.

When does the full-color full-size coffee table book get released?? I know, I know... Lost in the facetious question is the hope that it happens. I want some of these hanging on my wall as large prints.

"A river runs through me" is my favorite. So many layers of meaning. We ARE the river, we are life.

Thanks, Penny, for proving much so beautifully about human worth and dignity.

Penny's scribe here, replying on her behalf:

Penny,
it's inspirational that you could make these radiantly lovely and ethereal images with such minimal means. They are worthy of comparison with the work of any other artist. I hope you gained emotional nourishment and a feeling of self fulfilment in making them.
Best wishes for your health,
Lynne.
Yes, Lynne, I'd go as far as to say the process was transformative.

Words and images both so profound, moving and beautiful.

What an uplifting and inspiring expression to share with us.

With much admiration and love, dear Penny, and the heart-wish for ever-increase in wellbeing.
Thank you for your blessings - I included '3 wishes' hoping everyone would make some - remember to make yours!

"The bedsheets take flight I" is my favorite. Something about it seems so alive to me. Thank you so much for sharing and adding something beautiful to the world. Best wishes and thoughts of healing, (now and) throughout for the coming new year.
"The bedsheets take flight I" was originally called "The Ba Bird takes flight" but was changed to fit in the with flow of this exhibition. I like to think of it as its esoteric name! The Ba Bird was an ancient Egyptian foreunner of the phoenix. I hope this helps to deepen your enjoyment of the image.

Stunning, beautiful work. Is Penny on 500PX? She should be; of course, that would take another person's help and support to do so. I have photographer friends who would find the composition and lighting for these amazing.

When does the full-color full-size coffee table book get released?? I know, I know... Lost in the facetious question is the hope that it happens. I want some of these hanging on my wall as large prints.

"A river runs through me" is my favorite. So many layers of meaning. We ARE the river, we are life.

Thanks, Penny, for proving much so beautifully about human worth and dignity.
Nope, not on 500px! I'm so glad you connected deeply to 'A river runs through me'. It was a hard one to share as I was so very ill when I took it, but the way people have received it makes me glad I got over my shyness!

"The bedsheets take flight I" was originally called "The Ba Bird takes flight" but was changed to fit in the with flow of this exhibition. I like to think of it as its esoteric name! The Ba Bird was an ancient Egyptian foreunner of the phoenix. I hope this helps to deepen your enjoyment of the image.

It is alive then!

The Ba Bird is new for me - thank you for sharing. And keep fighting a good fight!! - for you and for our collective, a band of bau, an aria of canaries, a myth of phoenix.* We fight for each other - thank you for sharing your strength.

Thank you, Simon, too!

(* "bau" for plural of ba - found online; "band" borrowed from "band of brothers"; "aria" and "myth", I found to be existing collective nouns for birds. :))

Last edited: