• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anything for anxiety that doesn't work on GABA?

outdamnspot

I withdrew from a low dose of Mirtazapine a few weeks ago -- I was only on it for 2 weeks, for sleep, but have felt intensely restless (to the point of akathisia), overadrenalized, stiff jaw etc. for the past 4 weeks and am going crazy.

I cannot take benzodiazepines because they paradoxically agitate me. I cannot take Taurine, Magnesium, Lemon Balm or anything else GABAergic because they also agitate me. Antihistamines make it worse the next day.

I tried N-acetylglucosamine, but didn't notice a thing at 2500mg a day.

I am taking Lithium Orotate (about 5mg b.i.d.) and it helps mildly. 1000IU of Vitamin E helps a little too.

I have some N-acetylcysteine, but react poorly to that too.

Beta-blockers calmed me physically somewhat, but didn't fix the akathisia.

Anything? :*(

beaverfury

beaverfury
If i'm really keyed up i take a sublingual glutathione until it calms me. I have no idea why it works for me.
I kind of discovered it by accident.

Both Fredd and Rich have recommended against taking reduced glutathione for the methylation cycle so it's probably not a good long term idea. But when you really need some relief....

I also strongly recommend stablon as an anxiolytic. It has a few good qualities for the me/cfs person and really calms your whole system down.

These are just my personal preferences.

Look for Hip's anxiety remedies on his thread. Can't find the link atm

Last edited:

chilove

These herbs work well for me and I didn't tolerate GABA at all: Lemon balm, skullcap, passionflower, and catnip. Passionflower and catnip combined seems to work very well.

Valerian and kava kava do not work well for me so I suspect they work on GABA.

outdamnspot

These herbs work well for me and I didn't tolerate GABA at all: Lemon balm, skullcap, passionflower, and catnip. Passionflower and catnip combined seems to work very well.

Valerian and kava kava do not work well for me so I suspect they work on GABA.

Thanks chilove. What does GABAA do to you, out of interest?