• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andMe results and detox profile--how to interpret it

I uploaded my genone to the website and clicked on the detox button. (It was gentic genie) and now I am presented with bar graphs of mostly green, some red, a few yellow and a bunch of numbers and letters like CYP1A1*2C A4889G. So that tells me absolutely nothing because I had no way of knowing what it means. Does anyone here know what the next stop is? Do you go somewhere else to get it figured out?

taniaaust1

Some things you can actually look up and get some info about on wikipedia eg try putting in CYP1A1 there and you'd come up with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP1A1 ... which tells you what enzyme is affected by the mutation etc You can see by the wikipedia article that that affects xenobiotic drugs. Xenobiotic drugs make a very large percent of pharma drugs so this means you will metabolize those ones differently due to the gene and are more likely to have issues to those drugs then those who dont have faulty genes in this area... (you could even end up being poisoned by the drugs due to not being able to metabolise them normally.. you need to take more care with them

). You can see from that wiki article that its to do with Cytochrome P450 which is known as CYP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytochrome_P450 .

That page (last link) if you scroll down to you get to a graph (I didnt read it all just looked headings and saw the graph), it says that the CYP1 group is involved in "drug and steroid (especially estrogen) metabolism".

There are also several good gene websites around for looking up various gene mutations. One I use is http://www.genecards.org/ .. there is also another one which you can put your gene into and it will give you all the studies based around that gene (sorry I cant think now what that site is called).

http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=CYP1A1&search=CYP1A1*2C A4889G (that's the genecard result for the one you mentioned). I usually just read the first part (the summaries) and just focus on the parts I can understand eg "The gene has been associated with lung cancer risk. "

Last edited:

taniaaust1

seaflower did you get your report for your methylation stuff based on your genes at geneticgenie.. the site does do a good report on that with what to do about the things, unfortunately as you noticed with the detox stuff it currently only shows you the problem ones and then you need to seek out the info on those elsewhere.

I suggest to put your results in your signature and that way others who have those ones too and have researched theirs, may be able to give you some good info if you arent up to trying to find the info yourself.

Last edited:

ahmo

Seaflower,You can upload your results here and get a comprehensive read-out, including an interactive chart, in which you can type a SNP and find out whether you have it. http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease.

I've only used Geneticgenie Detox results minimally, but have worked with the Methylation profile and suggestions from Amy Yasko. And underlying that, Freddd's Protocol has pulled me into the Land of the Living! Best to you, ahmo

caledonia

There is a methylation interpretation further down the page on your genetic genie results. Some other good starter resources are the Heartfixer page for methylation, and the Detoxigenomics page for detox - links in my signature.

If you post your actual SNPs, either myself, Valentijn or some others can help with interpretations.

https://geneticgenie.org/detox-profile-results

Thanks for all the answers. I am so tired from not sleeping that I'm not making much sense today but this is one of them. RED=CYP2D6 2850c>T and NAT2 R197Q.
YELLOW=CYP1B1 L432V and (same)N453S.
CYP2D6 S486T and GSTP1I105V.

If there was something about estrogen, that was correct. Something about not being able to tolerate steroids is also right. If there is something about cholesterol being genetic and not concerned with weight or diet, that would be correct. But mostly, WTH is wrong with me? That I have MCS/CFS/and terrible insomnia. Thanks. I will be reading what I just printed out and I will also type in the methylation analysis results. Don't know what is important, what isn't.

Last edited:
So those ^^^^^ are the results of the detox profile, whatever that means. I can't make anything out of it even after reading more. I also have results from the Methylation analysis. Should I post them? Again, it means absolutely nothing to me. I have results but I don't know where to begin, what to do. I have had CFS for decades, along with the insomnia that goes with it. I have had fibro off and on--got it from a virus both times. Last time got rid of it by using LGlycine which I was trying for sleep. Thanks for any help. I would like some energy and to be able to sleep.

Critterina

I also have results from the Methylation analysis. Should I post them? Again, it means absolutely nothing to me. I have results but I don't know where to begin, what to do.
Lots of people here can help you with your methylation results if you post them. I put them in my signature, so they are always there (sort of explains where I'm coming from, genetically).

Lots of people here can help you with your methylation results if you post them. I put them in my signature, so they are always there (sort of explains where I'm coming from, genetically).

Thanks. I can't get them into my signature but I wrote them out, I think, up above. If anyone can interpret them and if someone can tell me what I should be doing I would love it. Is there anything else I need to post? I typed out the things that were +/+ and +/- but beyond that I am clueless so far.

Oh, I think I see what you mean. The methylation results. (I'm so tired, have taken a total of 2 clonopin and am still awake.) VDR Tag ++, MAO A R297R ++, MTRR A66G ++, CBS A360A ++
+/- COMT V158M, COMT H62H, BHMT-08, SHMT 1 C1420T

who can make sense of that? :)

Critterina

Thanks. I can't get them into my signature but I wrote them out, I think, up above. If anyone can interpret them and if someone can tell me what I should be doing I would love it. Is there anything else I need to post? I typed out the things that were +/+ and +/- but beyond that I am clueless so far.

Oh, I think I see what you mean. The methylation results. (I'm so tired, have taken a total of 2 clonopin and am still awake.) VDR Tag ++, MAO A R297R ++, MTRR A66G ++, CBS A360A ++
+/- COMT V158M, COMT H62H, BHMT-08, SHMT 1 C1420T

who can make sense of that? :)
Most of us can make sense...but for many of us it took months of reading up on it, and we don't all agree.

First impression: MTRR A66G ++ means your greatest need will be for B12. There's a good chance you'll tolerate sublingual methylcobalamin (MB12). But if not, you might want to try hydroxyB12. Whatever you do, start with a little and work up slowly.

There is some brand preference here, too. Lots of people here use Enzymatic Therapies MB12. I've used it and like it, but I think I like Natural Factors brand better. It's not one of the popular ones. Cheap (if you can tolerate the artificial sweetner in it) is Costco house brand. I hear Webber brand (no artificials) is also on sale at Costco these days.

When you start taking it, it's possible you'll deplete your methylfolate reserves (even though you don't have the MTHFR mutations). If you get cracks in the sides of your mouth or acne, most people here think that's a sign of having depleted your methylfolate. Solgar seems to be a favorite brand of methylfolate. I'm using it now, but I have used others. Methylfolate is expensive, but folinic acid is cheap. Since neither of us have the MTHFR C677T mutation, we should have no problem converting it, so my theory is that we could use the cheaper one. I haven't tried it out, but when I do I'll let you know.

To your health!

Helen

COMT mutations might make it more difficult for you to break down adrenaline (epinephrine in US?) a.o. There is no antidote to adrenaline than hard physical activity, as far as I know, so be careful with activities and of getting upset of any reason in the evening and I guess you have already found your latest hour for coffeine. Insomnia might also be caused by adrenal issues that give hypoclycemia. Best of luck!

Critterina

COMT mutations might make it more difficult for you to break down adrenaline (epinephrine in US?) a.o. There is no antidote to adrenaline than hard physical activity, as far as I know, so be careful with activities and of getting upset of any reason in the evening and I guess you have already found your latest hour for coffeine. Insomnia might also be caused by adrenal issues that give hypoclycemia. Best of luck!
Thanks for mentioning the adrenal-hypoglycemia-insomnia connection. I know that's it when a piece of toast will let me get back to sleep.

Thank you for the replies. In case this gives any clues, I never had much energy as a kid--I was always being given iron for "anemia." Marriage + birth control pills ruined my health, I became allergic to a lot of things & got major depression>divorce>antidepressants which only made me sleep. Since then I have never been able to sleep without pills. Finally, living in a house with mold>I got chemically sensitive, found a great dr who said I was now allergic to everything. Very limited diet kept me alive + special allergy shots and filtered air.

Fast forward>>I have recently purchased NAC and phos. serine.=no improvement. I think the NAC had some affect on sleep. I bought some things for the adrenals and had an hour or so when I felt pretty good!! Don't know which med it was and am afraid of them as I read here some will elevate estrogen. I do NOT need that. Had breast cancer. I remember eating egg one time and feeling great for a little while. Also, phenylalanine made me feel great for a little while (like one hour). I read that means you needed those things BUT a co-factor got depleted so the good feeling didn't last.

In my reading I keep coming back to Dopamine. As if I could get enough dopamine, I could sleep. I'm deeply appreciative of any help offered. I will try to get the B12 today. Usually I wait and do a Vitacost to save money but I am excited to get started. Thank you again.

Helen

@seaflower
I wouldn´t be sure that it is a too low dopamine that is causing your sleeping problems. With COMT mutations dopamine isn´t broken down normally (more slow). As with adrenaline and serotonine. It is said that with COMT mutations you can at least not get Parkinson disease as PD is connected to low dopamine.

I do hope that B12 will do wonder with your sleep and brain fog. Did you have a labtest for homocysteine or methylmalonic acid? Your anemia earlier could well have been caused by B12 defiecency.

With B12 you get will get your methylation working properly, that will change a lot in your body. You might tolerate supplements better later. I should be careful with detox and powerful supplements for a while. If you can tolerate co-factors for the methylation that would be of help probably.

It is bad for your health (too high demand on glutathione that you probably have got too little of due to a probable lack of B12) to live in mold. Hope you are able to get away from it as soon as possible. I know this is hard to melt, but it might make a change rather soon if you could stay without mold. Your GSTP1 +/- means that you have an decreased detox capacity in the liver too.

I think you will get much better but it takes some time to sort things out and find the right way.

@seaflower
I wouldn´t be sure that it is a too low dopamine that is causing your sleeping problems. With COMT mutations dopamine isn´t broken down normally (more slow). As with adrenaline and serotonine. It is said that with COMT mutations you can at least not get Parkinson disease as PD is connected to low dopamine.

I do hope that B12 will do wonder with your sleep and brain fog. Did you have a labtest for homocysteine or methylmalonic acid? Your anemia earlier could well have been caused by B12 defiecency.

With B12 you get will get your methylation working properly, that will change a lot in your body. You might tolerate supplements better later. I should be careful with detox and powerful supplements for a while. If you can tolerate co-factors for the methylation that would be of help probably.

It is bad for your health (too high demand on glutathione that you probably have got too little of due to a probable lack of B12) to live in mold. Hope you are able to get away from it as soon as possible. I know this is hard to melt, but it might make a change rather soon if you could stay without mold. Your GSTP1 +/- means that you have an decreased detox capacity in the liver too.

I think you will get much better but it takes some time to sort things out and find the right way.

Thank you for all the information. Today I bought the sublingual methylcobalamin B12. It's 5000 MCG and I don't know how often to take it but will take one in a few minutes.

I do not live near mold anymore--that was many years ago and I had to abandon the house and get a house that was safe. I have never been so sick. A special diet and allergy shots plus supplements kept me alive and got me to a plateau but I've never gotten beyond that stage.

Currently I rent a safe cottage next to the ocean. The air here is wonderful and I just stay here most of the time. Venturing inland gets me car fumes and I can't take that. This is fine. All I wish for now is energy and the ability to sleep.

Oh dear. I just took the sublingual B12 and instantly got a bad headache and tears are running down my face and I feel strange. It must be the brand--Solgar. I am reacting to an ingredient? mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, veg. stearic acid, silica, natural cherry flavor, veg. cellulose, veg. magnesium stearate. Now my throat hurts too. Could any of those ingredients cause trouble? I really want this to work, will take another one tomorrow, headache or not

Stewart

Seaflower, I'm by no means an expert (I've only been experimenting with B12 and methylation for a few months) but 5000mcg is a big dose - probably far too large to be starting with. If I were you I would break a tablet into quarters (or eighths if you can - although I know the Solgar tablets have a tendency to crumble when you cut them) and take one piece a day for a while. I had a reaction similar to the one you descibed when I took 2000mcg too soon. It's not necessarily an adverse reaction - it could be a positive, healing reaction, hence the need to take it slow to give your body a chance to adjust.

If you still have a bad reaction on the smaller dose, you might need to try hydroxocobalamin instead. Some people with COMT mutations don't tolerate methylB12 well - but I'm afraid I don't know enough to give you further advice on that.

Seaflower, I'm by no means an expert (I've only been experimenting with B12 and methylation for a few months) but 5000mcg is a big dose - probably far too large to be starting with. If I were you I would break a tablet into quarters (or eighths if you can - although I know the Solgar tablets have a tendency to crumble when you cut them) and take one piece a day for a while. I had a reaction similar to the one you descibed when I took 2000mcg too soon. It's not necessarily an adverse reaction - it could be a positive, healing reaction, hence the need to take it slow to give your body a chance to adjust.

If you still have a bad reaction on the smaller dose, you might need to try hydroxocobalamin instead. Some people with COMT mutations don't tolerate methylB12 well - but I'm afraid I don't know enough to give you further advice on that.

Thank you so much. I smashed the Solgar pill just now and put some of the crumbs under my tongue. Immediately got the headache but nothing like yesterday. I *knew* I shouldn't have bought such a high dosage but the salesperson ( who seemed knowledgeable) talked me into it.

I think I can tolerate the crumbs with just a slight headache. OTOH, I want to make sure I am actually absorbing it. Was wondering if my negative reaction could be to some of the additional ingredients. I did look up mannitol and the others but am left clueless.

Regular drs do measure B12 so at my next appt maybe I could get a blood test. That would tell me if I am absorbing the B12. Then, if not, after taking all this Solgar, I could switch to the other form you mentioned.

I am sorry you had that reaction to the 2000 dose, but if you know what I mean, it also makes me glad that I am not the only one. Every bit of information helps.