• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HydroxyB12 and CBS

Christopher

Theoretically, if I were having excess sulfur and ammonia being produced from methylation, would HB12 be a good idea to slow down methylation and deal with the excess ammonia/sulfur?

caledonia

Theoretically, if I were having excess sulfur and ammonia being produced from methylation, would HB12 be a good idea to slow down methylation and deal with the excess ammonia/sulfur?

B12 would actually increase methylation. If you're having problems tolerating methyl supps due to CBS, you'll need to work on CBS first. The Heartfixer page has a good CBS protocol which I've used successfully, except I did the Free Thiol diet, and no Yasko RNA's.

Links in my signature.

Christopher

B12 would actually increase methylation. If you're having problems tolerating methyl supps due to CBS, you'll need to work on CBS first. The Heartfixer page has a good CBS protocol which I've used successfully, except I did the Free Thiol diet, and no Yasko RNA's.

Links in my signature.
OK, but according to heartfixer, hb12 should be used to stimulate suox to help with sulfites.

joshi81

uhm but with 23and me they don't look into SUOX snp right??? because i never saw SUOX snp mentioned in people who ran the 23and me.. where did u test your suox???

Critterina

You have to look up the rs numbers:
rs11171718 (A = 4%)
rs705703 (T = 2%, TT = 0)
i5000977 (A is normal)
i5000976 (A is normal)

Christopher

uhm but with 23and me they don't look into SUOX snp right??? because i never saw SUOX snp mentioned in people who ran the 23and me.. where did u test your suox???

I am waiting for my 23andme results - I didn't know before that you could find out SUOX from that test (thanks @Critterina).

I know from experience I cannot handle sulfur donors well, so I am assuming that is a problem for me. As I've trialed methylation, it seems that I do indeed hit a wall as far as ammonia or sulfur go (not potassium-related or methylfolate related - more is not better for all people).

caledonia

OK, but according to heartfixer, hb12 should be used to stimulate suox to help with sulfites.

@Christopher

I found where it says that, but Yasko doesn't say that (most of Heartfixer comes straight from Yasko), and I still disagree too. The very definition of CBS is that the pathway is upregulated, causing too many methyl intermediates coming through, which will overwhelm SUOX, causing inflammation, thus causing a stress/anxiety reaction.

Taking more methyl intermediates will only make the problem worse. Before I treated for CBS, I literally couldn't tolerate even 1 mcg of methylcobalamin, and I don't tolerate hydroxycobalamin at all so I can't comment on that.

Maybe he feels that since hydroxy has to be converted into methylcobalamin, that it will get around the methyl intermediate problem. If you decide to try it, I sure wouldn't take 2000mcg of hydroxy right off the bat.

The Heartfixer page, while a wonderful resource, is from 2008 - this is a fast moving new field of study and things have changed a lot since then. Dr. Roberts hasn't updated his page, so he may have something different to say about that now.

Last edited:

caledonia

My doctor has me on 400mcg molybdenum for 3 months to deal with the sulfur.

@minkeygirl

I heard on an MTHFRsupport podcast that people taking high amounts of moly like that could potentially drive their sulfur too low, causing other problems (very serious ones too). The amount they quoted was 500mcg, which is close to what you're taking.

Yasko suggests 75mcg. That's what I took. I feel that's a safe amount, and I was able to resolve CBS in 3 months.

I think it was this episode, http://www.blogtalkradio.com/mthfrsupport/2013/10/24/the-cbs-debate, if you want to check it out for youself.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@minkeygirl

I heard on an MTHFRsupport podcast that people taking high amounts of moly like that could potentially drive their sulfur too low, causing other problems (very serious ones too). The amount they quoted was 500mcg, which is close to what you're taking.

Yasko suggests 75mcg. That's what I took. I feel that's a safe amount, and I was able to resolve CBS in 3 months.

I think it was this episode, http://www.blogtalkradio.com/mthfrsupport/2013/10/24/the-cbs-debate, if you want to check it out for youself.

My doctor is aware of the amount I am taking. Since she is more informed about my total health picture I will go by what she is recommending. And I'm not sure why your source is more knowledgeable than my doctor. (I'm not interested in listening to it.)