• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How successful are diets for cfs?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
My health improved a lot.

My body can ask for anything. Might be fat, meat, eggs, patatoes, bread, sugar, cheese, snacks, sweets, etc.

I think that diet may be one area where listening to the body should not be absolute. Addicts' bodies demand the drugs of addiction. It also seems to be common for the body to demand foods to which it is intolerant. One of those perverse, counter-intuitive things.

lansbergen

I think that diet may be one area where listening to the body should not be absolute. Addicts' bodies demand the drugs of addiction. It also seems to be common for the body to demand foods to which it is intolerant. One of those perverse, counter-intuitive things.

It works for me. I do not say others should do it too.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Diet has done nothing for me at all. For years before I got ME my diet has been absolutely impeccable. I have stuck with it throughout this journey but I am continuing to decline steadily. Also, mine onset extremely acutely with encephalitis so it's hard to relate that to a digestion problem.

I'm very sorry to hear that things are not going well for you.

There seems to be good evidence that autoimmunity arising from a leaky gut can affect any part of the body, depending on what antibodies are produced, which will probably depend on what antigens are getting into the bloodstream from the gut.

However, the blood-brain barrier is another biological barrier whose breach can allow inappropriate substances through and thereby lead to disease. This could occur due to infection, physical injury or other factors.

There is some info about encephalitis here.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
My health improved a lot.

My body can ask for anything. Might be fat, meat, eggs, patatoes, bread, sugar, cheese, snacks, sweets, etc.
You are a lucky chap then. Me, having a raging leaky gut that often hurts making obvious its pressence can not eat everything I want.