• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal treatment

Hanna

Thanks Heapsreal. I was using DHEA transdermally and had to stop for a while (waiting for my supply).Perhaps, I should wait and resume the "preg-experiment" when I'll be able technically to apply also the DHEA?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thanks Heapsreal. I was using DHEA transdermally and had to stop for a while (waiting for my supply).Perhaps, I should wait and resume the "preg-experiment" when I'll be able technically to apply also the DHEA?

no right or wrong answer. The best thing to do is experiment using one or the other then both etc but stick to the low and slow thing.

Aerose91

I was on the highest psyiological doses of hydrocortisone, Pregnenolone and DHEA for about 6 months for severe adrenal insufficiency. Its a very sensitive balancing act. For all things adrenal fatigue, I reference this book, it's the best book ever written about it. Talks about hormones too:

http://www.drlam.com/book/

Some really helpful replies - thank you all so much. I've only just seen them all. I thought I would receive a notification, but since I didn't I hadn't checked the thread...

You might find that will be sufficient to help you. Have you had other hormones tested too because if the adrenals aren't producing sufficient cortisol when you need it then your other hormones like thyroid will be affected too as well as sex hormones. It makes good sense to find out what your levels of these are to get a complete picture because you won't feel better unless they are all treated if necessary.

Regarding the adrenals, If you don't find an adaptogen is enough then the next thing to try is adrenal glandulars. If you get adrenaline rushes then you don't want a glandular that has the whole part of the adrenal medulla because you will just feel worse with almost panic like symptoms. This is quite common I think and if that is the case you could try something like Thorne's Adrenal Cortex glandular, probably 2 or 3 daily. Hopefully after sufficient time your adrenals would then be stronger. You can take an adaptogen as well as the glandulars.

If you get symptoms caused by low electrolytes then you might find that licorice root would be helpful too. To test for this you just go into a dark room and look into a mirror and shine a torch to the side of one eye. Your pupil should constrict but if it stays large or seems to flutter up and down then you have a problem with your electrolytes and need more sodium and possibly not so much potassium. It also means your adrenals are quite weak.

Finally it makes no sense to try and address this problem as above if one still has a stressful lifestyle. This alone can weaken the adrenals so it is important to look after yourself and not do things that stress you.

Pam

I've ordered some Nutricology ACE, and some 10mg pregnenolone. My breathing is out of kilter at the moment, and I have constant anxiety, so I chose to stay away from the whole glandulars. My electrolyte balance is all off. I do indeed have aldosterone problems according to the flash light test. Adding in salt has been helpful, and I get along better without eating potassium rich foods.

My thyroid isn't good, as per testing. I also have low body temperature.

I'm currently too ill to work, but it's surprising how stressful trying to get better is!
I would use Mag Oil instead of pills, as its more effective. Glandulars actually can be a beneficial part of a restaurative plan for the hormonal glands.

I'm trying to add in magnesium, but the oil made my muscle spasms worse. I put this down to greater activity across the Na/K channels; specifically, influx of K into the cell, which was lowering serum K and throwing the balance of Na/K off. Adding salt seems to be helping with tolerance.
My practitioner started me on pregenenolone 4 yr. ago when I was 68 & I've been on it ever since. She said my
21-hydroxylase is normal [necessary for production of cortisone & aldosterone from pregnenolone]. Having occasionally tested going off it or increasing it, I settled at taking 25 mg in the morning cuz testing showed that was my low cortisol time. At first I was on a time release type with DHEA. But ordinary over-the-counter pregnenolone alone seemed just as effective and was less expensive. Yes, start low and keep seeking even better answers but pregnenolone can at least get you started. I'm guessing you've been crashing to low energy in the afternoon/evening? DHEA may have more to offer you as a male.

I have mercury poisoning, so I have long suspected that my cortisol/aldosterone problems are both caused by my 21 beta hydroxylase be sequestered. How did you test whether your levels were normal? (I suspect this was deduced by whether the hormones themselves were low?)

I do crash about 5pm. I feel anxious; my vision is blurry; and I often feel sick.

I was under the impression that pregnenolone was twice daily. Is your decision purely based on your cortisol pattern?
How about buffered vitamin C power ? 12,000mg per day. 6 times a day ?
Harris. I had serious adrenal fatigue and even started smoking because of it. I couldn't give up, but I tried large doses of vitamin C and I managed to stop. I also learnt that heroin addicts are using vitamin C to give up the heroin. Any ways that is what helped me. Not that I know allot about this subject..

I was taking 3000mg 3 x per day until yesterday, but my breathing seems to be getting worse. It may be coincidence and not an effect of increasing the Vit C; however, I wonder if I've become sensitive to corn. I may try again with a cassava root Vit C or something similar.
@Hanna when I started preg a number of times I had to take a day off here and there as it felt like it was building up and would become overstimulated even on low dose. Maybe its apart of the whole metabolism starting up?? Overtime eeverything settles down.

Have you read this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/anxiety-ammonia-and-the-nmda-receptor.1460/ . On page 3, Lotus97 makes reference to pregnenolone enhancing NMDA function, which may cause the overstimulation.

Leon

stridor

@Leon
My story parallels yours to some extent. Mercury toxic and lost adrenals, thyroid and low testosterone. The endocrine system takes a beating for sure.
I did all the ACE and liposomal Vit C, tried pregnenolone and DHEA.
In the end, I had to replace hormones directly in order to move forward. I am not sure where you are at with all of this but my only regret is not doing it sooner. I could have done with a bit more adrenal function and might have had that if I had bailed them out sooner.
I have to stress dose hydrocortisone from time-to-time as it is now. brad

bertiedog

Just to say my adrenals were too far gone too to heal and I need 6mg Prednisolone daily plus the occasional 2.5mg h/c late afternoon. The steroids not only help me to exercise gentle and have some sort of life but also to take dessicated thyroid for my Hashimotos which also helps me enormously.

I have been taking steroids now since 2002 and no real side effects apart from slightly over-wrinkled skin but I am 65 years old now!

Pam

Aerose91

My adrenals were so bad i was on 20mg hydrocortisone, 60mg Pregnenolone and 50mg DHEA. It still took me 3 months on that protocol to be able to walk to my car. That was with just adrenal fatigue, well before i ever got M.E., so i came into this disease with badly damaged adrenals already