• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can a severe fungal infection be causing my cfs

Ambrosia_angel

I've actually had a reoccuiring fungal infection for a while now. It was probably may/April 2011 when I as put on antibiotics for a really bad ear and throat infection. Had to leave school for 2 weeks till I recovered. I became ill last year sept.

Right now the infection isn't even recurrent it is literally chronic as I was on antibiotics twice in one stretch. Two different ones. One for a toe infection and one of a chest. I plan on going back to my doctors but I need a decent treatment protocol for this as nothing has worked and I know a lot of people question candida in this illness. Btw I'm talking about vaginal thrush.

Treatments I have used are clotrimazole & hydrocortisone creams and oral fluconazole and my old Dr even though I had oral yeast so I had an antifungal for that. I need to know where to proceed with this as it is becoming very unbearable. The cfs and the yeast infection.

Maybe I need to request to see a gynae now..?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Have you investigated candida in your case? It has it´s basement in the colon but over time can spread trough all the body creating all the things you have/had. To fight it you need a special diet, antifungals, probiotics and such.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Ambrosia angel, having chronic thrush is really unpleasant and any fungal infection can make M.E/CFS symptoms worse (especially brain fog/cognityive issues/gut problems etc)

I had systemic candida for a long time after 14 courses of antibiotics in 12 months for a lung infection that wouldnt clear. I tried fluconazole etc but found that the ONLY thing that finally shifted it was a full anti candida protocol - diet, supplements etc for nearly a year. Without the anti candida programme the candida/thrush in my mouth and oesophogeus would come back as soon as i ate even a few grains of sugar or piece of fruit.

Getting rid of the thrush helped my symptoms a lot, BUT my M.E reamins just as bad, and in fact two years off the protocol and my brain fog/de realisation etc are just as bad as they where before. I at least dont get thrush anymore though. The diet and supplements also cleared up my longstanding rash on my torso, itchy head, heartburn and athletes foot.

If you would like to chat more about the diet etc you can pm me or ask here. I took caprylic acid for qwuite some time and think i may have overdone it as i then went on to develop severe gastritis that took 18 months to recover from somehwat.

All the best,
Justy.

Ambrosia_angel

Have you investigated candida in your case? It has it´s basement in the colon but over time can spread trough all the body creating all the things you have/had. To fight it you need a special diet, antifungals, probiotics and such.

I haven't had any swab culture but the next time I go to the gp he will probably want to do one. I know for a fact it is candida though. It gets tons worse after antibiotics. In females it mainly lives in the vagina though.. most aren't affected by the candida in the colon unless in stems from thrush.

Hi Ambrosia angel, having chronic thrush is really unpleasant and any fungal infection can make M.E/CFS symptoms worse (especially brain fog/cognityive issues/gut problems etc)

I had systemic candida for a long time after 14 courses of antibiotics in 12 months for a lung infection that wouldnt clear. I tried fluconazole etc but found that the ONLY thing that finally shifted it was a full anti candida protocol - diet, supplements etc for nearly a year. Without the anti candida programme the candida/thrush in my mouth and oesophogeus would come back as soon as i ate even a few grains of sugar or piece of fruit.

Getting rid of the thrush helped my symptoms a lot, BUT my M.E reamins just as bad, and in fact two years off the protocol and my brain fog/de realisation etc are just as bad as they where before. I at least dont get thrush anymore though. The diet and supplements also cleared up my longstanding rash on my torso, itchy head, heartburn and athletes foot.

If you would like to chat more about the diet etc you can pm me or ask here. I took caprylic acid for qwuite some time and think i may have overdone it as i then went on to develop severe gastritis that took 18 months to recover from somehwat.

All the best,
Justy.

Wow I've never heard about caprylic acid even after years of research. I know about H202 but i know it wipes out other defenses like good bacteria pretty easily. Every time I see a treatment side effects always seem to be a problem but I know I probably have to change my diet. Do you know the best antibiotics that will help? I know fluconazole is used but I'm not sure it will be strong enough in my case. I was thinking of asking for an alternative but I don't know too much about whether it's the meds or the strength of them. Also I'd love for you to tell me how you cure it? I don't mind if you pm or post it here.

I've also tried bicarbonate of soda cleanse and drinking it so I know it's not cytolytic vaginosis.

I tried the bicarbonate of soda douche and drank it in case it was cytolytic vaginosis but to no avail nothing happened.
I tried the bicarbonate of soda douche and drank it in case it was cytolytic vaginosis but to no avail nothing happened.

Ema

I would try coconut oil suppositories and use probiotics vaginally for a vaginal yeast infection.

Systemic candida often requires more aggressive measures and prescription drugs may be helpful.

Ema