• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Document that explains polymorphisms

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Hi, all you gene genies!

I haven't previously been following genetic threads, but have become increasingly intrigued, and remembered that I had had some testing done years ago - I think it was through an item in Action for ME's magazine InterAction (so they're not ALL bad:D) and have managed to dig the results out.

Although I studied genetics at Bachelors level, I am very rusty on it, and my test results are in a different form of notation from 23andMe and Yasko. The tests were done by the apparently-defunct Sciona/Cellf.

So I have been trying to work out what mine relate to in terms of some discussions on here - for example mine don't have things like '+/+', '+/-', etc - just the names of two bases, e.g. C,G (and I know what those mean).

So I've been trying to find translations between mine and what some of you guys have. The conversion resources I've found here don't do what I need.

While searching the net I found this document which at least seems to lay out clearly and concisely what the various results signify, so maybe some of you would find it useful. Comments welcome!

Last edited:

Valentijn

@MeSci
23andMe and other genetic testing services also don't use the +/- stuff. That's done by some websites and programs which interpret the raw data to indicate what they think an allele represents risk. Yasko confuses the issue a bit by combining the raw data with the interpretation.

Helen

@MeSci
Thanks for the document! I hope the good figure of detoxification and the description of the GST genes will raise the interest for these so important genes -as well as for the others in the detox system.
Good to hear that you are back on track in genetics with your excellent education. Just take the rust away :)

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@MeSci
Thanks for the document! I hope the good figure of detoxification and the description of the GST genes will raise the interest for these so important genes.
Good to hear that you are back on track in genetics with your excellent education. Just take the rust away :)

You're welcome. There's an awful lot of rust to scrape away though!