• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Dangerous Toxic Menace - Nitrous Oxide

Freddd

Too many people are unaware of the hazards that N2O (nitrous oxide). Used in dental and other procedures where a mild anesthetic is needed and also used as part of a mix with more potent inhalant anesthetics. N2O immediately permanently oxidizes circulating MeCbl and AdoCbl. Once N2O connects there is no enzyme or ATP that can reclaim it. It is rapidly flushed from the body. Occasionally someone ends up in a coma from N2O or goes home and goes into methyltrap in the body and brain. If not corrected that can cause SACD, Subacute Combined Degeneration rapidly and other damage. As there is no limit on how much B12 that can be destroyed by N2O because it is a simple direct immediate oxidation reaction, just like glutathione does to B12, too much will and does cause methyltrap.

Before having nitrous oxide I take at least 10mg of sublinguals. Then after leaving the office I do 1mg at a time for the rest of the day to get my b12 in the CNS back up to a functional level.

Most ordinary people don't notice the b12 destruction. We can feel it immediately. Nitrous oxide recreational usage is dangerous to us. It can cause brain damage and coma. So those of you who went to the dentist or had anesthesia and don't feel right, some sublingual b12 MeCbl and AdoCbl can restore the B12 and prevent sustained damage.

PennyIA

Thank you for sharing this. I had nitrous at the dentist and crashed horribly... had it again for surgery and got even worse (pre-learning about MTHFR). Now I was thinking I'd have no choice but to skip it... but it's nice to know there are ways to prevent the possible crash by loading up on the B12. Very good to know what the mechanism is and what it means... more than just 'avoid'. I'll still not take it lightly, but at least I know there are options out there if I'm in a situation where it would be better to have it than not to.

Violeta

Freddd, that is very interesting. Is all gas anesthesia nitrous oxide? I had gas anesthesia with my 3rd child, and it took 4 hours for me to come out of it. I could hear what people were saying but besides that, nothing, which to me seemed like a coma. My health did take a dive after that.

Freddd

Freddd, that is very interesting. Is all gas anesthesia nitrous oxide? I had gas anesthesia with my 3rd child, and it took 4 hours for me to come out of it. I could hear what people were saying but besides that, nothing, which to me seemed like a coma. My health did take a dive after that.

Nitrous used to be used frequently for childbirth in many countries because it isn't toxic in the ordinary sense. In the BBC series CALL THE MIDWIFE they show the midwife equipped to give nitrous, post WW2. Some gas anesthesia mixtures contain nitrous oxide. It is a mild anesthesia so can't be used alone for many things.