• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tart Cherry juice for muscle pain

beaverfury

beaverfury
I've recently improved on antibiotics for lyme/coinfections .I've done two brief jogs (about 500-800m) and intend to do more.

I haven't had post exertional malaise the last couple of times but i do still have post exercise pain! Muscle pain with or without exercise seems to be my only major symptom for the last fortnight. I really seem to be improving

Another bloody natural miracle elixir is claiming some success with muscle pain in athletes. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874510/
This trial relies on subjective assessment of pain by participants.

Leaving aside questions of similarity/difference of muscle pain between healthies and pwcfs i would like to know if anyone has tried tart cherry juice (Montmorency cherry)?

I realise exercise is a distant memory for most of us but maybe there's some pwcfs who have tried it for general muscle pain ?
Here's a glowing assessment from Prohealth.
Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Tart Cherry
http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=18352

Rand56

hi beaverfury

I have never tried tart cherry juice but I have good success using agmatine for muscle soreness/pain.

I don't suffer from everyday non-workout muscle soreness, but agmatine remarkably helps in the pain dept. I take it as a pre-workout supplement about 45 mins to an hour before workout.

Rand

anne_likes_red

I've recently improved on antibiotics for lyme/coinfections .I've done two brief jogs (about 500-800m) and intend to do more.

I haven't had post exertional malaise the last couple of times but i do still have post exercise pain! Muscle pain with or without exercise seems to be my only major symptom for the last fortnight. I really seem to be improving

Another bloody natural miracle elixir is claiming some success with muscle pain in athletes. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874510/
This trial relies on subjective assessment of pain by participants.

Leaving aside questions of similarity/difference of muscle pain between healthies and pwcfs i would like to know if anyone has tried tart cherry juice (Montmorency cherry)?

I realise exercise is a distant memory for most of us but maybe there's some pwcfs who have tried it for general muscle pain ?
Here's a glowing assessment from Prohealth.
Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Tart Cherry
http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=18352

So pleased to hear of your improvements!! :)

I took Montmorency cherry juice (Sleep Support Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate - 15 mls each evening) for...I think about a year, and I didn't notice improvement in muscle pain during that time. I was taking it for sleep support and have to say I didn't notice much improvement there either!!
FWIW What seems to have helped me most with muscle pain is high dose B1, and cold therapy.
Same as you though, muscle pain does seem to be one of my stickiest symptoms despite significant overall improvement in the past couple of years.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

I took Montmorency cherry juice (Sleep Support Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate - 15 mls each evening) for...I think about a year, and I didn't notice improvement in muscle pain during that time. I was taking it for sleep support and have to say I didn't notice much improvement there either!!
FWIW What seems to have helped me most with muscle pain is high dose B1, and cold therapy.
Same as you though, muscle pain does seem to be one of my stickiest symptoms despite significant overall improvement in the past couple of years.

Which form of B1 do you take--benfotiamine or sulbutiamine? And what doses?

Thanks,
Sushi

helen1

About the tart cherry, I take it to clear out oxalates. It's supposed to be good for that. I have difficulty keeping oxalate levels down, plus have had 2 gout attacks, so I definitely want those levels down. In many people, high oxalate levels manifest as (non gout) joint pain.
Tart cherry is also supposed to increase serotonin levels.

I took it on and off for a few months, and did not notice a difference. I'll be taking it again anyway. I believe it's good for me even if I don't notice anything specific, and can't hurt.

The one I took did not say Montmorency but it says 100% pure tart cherry.

I also got organic. I would be wary if not organic, cherries are generally one of the bad contaminated fruits.

beaverfury

beaverfury
have u been diagnosed for Lyme? uf yes which lab test did u run and made the diagnosis? thank u

Hi Joshi81

Yes, diagnosed for lyme. I had ELISA and Western immunoblot testing done through Infectolabs in Germany.
They are ISO certified. Though i would stress there is a lot of controversy around testing legitimacy.

If you have the time here is 12 pages of fine PR theatre covering both sides of the story regarding testing. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/lyme-testing.25260/

A clinical diagnosis is vitally important in assessing the worth of the testing. For this you need a really good doctor to sort out all the variables.

beaverfury

beaverfury

Thanks Anne

I tried high dose B1. It worked great for a couple of weeks but then lost most of it's impact.
Magnesium is a must of course, and i have had success at different times with citicoline and dl-phenyalanine.

Cold showers do make me feel good. Bit of a shock to the system but possible now that it's summer here.

Which form of B1 do you take--benfotiamine or sulbutiamine? And what doses?

Thanks,
Sushi

Butting in. I'm trying sulbutiamine. I'm not sure i've noticed benefit for pain relief but it does help me cognitively. Gives me more motivation too. Alas, tolerance apparently settles in with this as well.

beaverfury

beaverfury
hi beaverfury

I have never tried tart cherry juice but I have good success using agmatine for muscle soreness/pain.

I don't suffer from everyday non-workout muscle soreness, but agmatine remarkably helps in the pain dept. I take it as a pre-workout supplement about 45 mins to an hour before workout.

Rand

Thanks. Never heard of that one.

Sounds interesting http://www.supplementcritic.com/agmatine/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9010916
Agmatine activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells.

leela

I used the montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate for quite a while and did notice a difference in both sleep and pain. It takes a few weeks of being on it before you slowly realize the pain is less. For me the problem is having to drink something in the evenings, as I really don't like having to get up to pee.

The magic combo was cherry juice in a little tonic water (I bought the $$ kind that doesn't have cane sugar) and some fresh lime. It helps the liver do this or that, I forget what, but it was an effective combo for me anyway.

I just really really don't like having beverages near bedtime.

joshi81

The point is this:
when all started (and it started in a mild way) i was working with animals (sheeps, goats, donkeys and other farm animals) and i was in close contact with them especially with baby goats
i had tested
antbody antiborrelia BORDERLINE
Westernblot: igm BORDERLINE - igg NEGATIVE

I REPEATED two more times the antibody and they always came out BORDERLINE in a center specialized in Borreliosis.
Then i repeated the test during these 7 years (both antibodies and westernblot) in other labs and they came out normal.

I never found the thick on my body and i never had the erithema (i don't know if in english it is written like this)... anyway i'm going to do the LT test in Germany and i don't know how reliable it is...

perchance dreamer

I would like to try the tart cherry juice, but am a little concerned about the carbs and naturally occurring sugar. I've read that the capsules are not as effective as the juice, but I don't know if that's true.

Here are the nutrition facts for 2 TBS of Eden Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate. It's from Montmorency. It doesn't have any added sweeteners. I wonder if just 1 TBS would also be effective:

103245.gif

leela

FWIW I prefer the one from Stanton Orchards, in the refrigerated section. It has very slightly less sugars (19g, not really significant).
I hear you on the worry about added sugars, but I personally never found it bothersome--did the quinine and lime
have some effect there? I dunno. My then-acupuncturist suggested the quinine-lime-cherry juice cocktail. I think there is some potent blood-cleansing going on in that mix, which could account for the reduction in aches and pains.

anne_likes_red

@Sushi I'm using 400 mg benfotiamine and 900 mg thiamine. I find it effective against a kind of burning 'surface muscle' pain I've had in my calves for years, but not with really deep pain like in fibromyalgia trigger points. I've tried reducing the dose (twice now) and the calf pain returns so I'm sticking with that amount for now.

(I'd love to try sulbutiamine but I can't get it here.)

Best,
Anne.