• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bioscreen test at newcastle uni in 1997

knackers323

Anyone get tested by these guys around this time?

What did you do about it?

It was promoted as a major breakthrough, even cure at the time.

ukxmrv

I was hoping to get tested but it was not something I considered very important. Eventually I did make it to Australia to stay with relatives. However, when I got there and made enquiries I was told that their lab had burned down and they weren't doing any more tests.

The test was called CFSUM I think.

Firestormm

I take it you mean something that occurred at Newcastle in Australia and not Newcastle Uni and Julia Newton in the UK :)

Could you expand or link to what you are all talking about please as I am mystified and intrigued. Thanks

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Australiairestormm, post: 412482, member: 3774"]I take it you mean something that occurred at Newcastle in Australia and not Newcastle Uni and Julia Newton in the UK :)

Could you expand or link to what you are all talking about please as I am mystified and intrigued. Thanks[/quote]
Austrslia
Australia

knackers323

I take it you mean something that occurred at Newcastle in Australia and not Newcastle Uni and Julia Newton in the UK :)

Could you expand or link to what you are all talking about please as I am mystified and intrigued. Thanks

Yep sorry it was Australia. I'm pretty sure it was the urine and fecal tests that are still being carried out by the same company but they now work out of Melbourne.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Amino acid profiling etc?
My cfs doc dr deed was involved in research with newcastle university in the day also dr whiting. One theory they had was staph sinus infections causing gut infections from post nasal drip. This didnt pan out. Maybe someone else has taken the research further. A dr stowell was also involved with them. Might find some research under their names.

alex3619

Anyone get tested by these guys around this time?

What did you do about it?

It was promoted as a major breakthrough, even cure at the time.

I was tested back then. They were doing urinary amino acid profiles.

Two of their markers were shown to likely be an artifact of testing and not real. One other was claimed to have been disproved as well, but they test was very poor that claimed to disprove it, in this case citric acid in urine. It violated the protocol and such violations are known to give negative results. However most of their testing is still valid.

The researchers scattered and some worked in Europe. I do not know the full story.

I think the chemicals detected were analogs of glycine and serine? This is why the urinary glycine and serine results were off.

I am not sure why the researchers did not pursue this further. Back in the 90s I talked with one of them once or twice, and emailed with another once or twice, but I do not recall the details.

knackers323

I was tested back then. They were doing urinary amino acid profiles.

Two of their markers were shown to likely be an artifact of testing and not real. One other was claimed to have been disproved as well, but they test was very poor that claimed to disprove it, in this case citric acid in urine. It violated the protocol and such violations are known to give negative results. However most of their testing is still valid.

The researchers scattered and some worked in Europe. I do not know the full story.

I think the chemicals detected were analogs of glycine and serine? This is why the urinary glycine and serine results were off.

I am not sure why the researchers did not pursue this further. Back in the 90s I talked with one of them once or twice, and emailed with another once or twice, but I do not recall the details.

Was any stool testing involved?

Elph68

Dr Henry Butt was the researcher there, they moved to Melbourne University and have been researching CFS/ME using the latest technology laser mass spectrometer to identify gut microbiota, and it's relationship to CFS/ME. They have now finished their research and are in the process of having their findings published.

It is interesting to note that Kenny DeMerlier has just recently joined the bioscreen team as a professor at Melbourne University.....

Elph68

I meant any links to an announcement of KDM as a professor at Melbourne Univ?

Sushi
I don't have an announcement .... just KDM has all of a sudden appeared as one of the professors on the bioscreen staff list ....

alex3619

I met KDM at the Sydney CFS conference in 1999. He has a long history of coming here. His association with the Bioscreen researchers is older, I think, than his association with Dr Lewis, but I could be wrong. Its may be more the case that I simply never heard of KDM in connection with Dr Lewis way back then.