• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sample did not yield sufficient quantities of DNA

After weeks of waiting, I logged in today to see this:

"Gandalf, our laboratory attempted to isolate DNA from your saliva sample. Unfortunately, the sample did not yield sufficient quantities of DNA.

Your sample is going through a second round of DNA isolation." :(

How many of you have had this? Did it work the 2nd time? Could it be that ppl with cfs have lower DNA in saliva because we have a harder time creating DNA due to methylation issues?

thx

Valentijn

After weeks of waiting, I logged in today to see this:

"Gandalf, our laboratory attempted to isolate DNA from your saliva sample. Unfortunately, the sample did not yield sufficient quantities of DNA.

Your sample is going through a second round of DNA isolation." :(

How many of you have had this? Did it work the 2nd time? Could it be that ppl with cfs have lower DNA in saliva because we have a harder time creating DNA due to methylation issues?

thx
I've only heard of one other ME patient having that problem - it's pretty rare. I think they had him ship two more samples (at no cost), and then refunded his money when they still couldn't get a result.

Stewart

Gandalf - the same thing happened to me just last month, and I ended up being sent a second test kit. This time as well as rubbing my cheeks to generate more saliva (as recommended in the leaflet accompanying the kit) I also rubbed my teeth and tongue against the inside of my mouth. I don't know how much of a difference this made, but my latest update from 23andme says that they've extracted my DNA from the second sample, and are about to start analysing it. So even if your first sample doesn't work, there's every chance that the second one will.