• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A B2 story

howirecovered

Hi Howirecovered,

I had to build up slowly. I walked and added 50 feet a day. I worked out with 2 pound dumbbells. The big change happened when suddenly in two steps; first when I got the muscle layer started healing and second when the water started pouring off and my muscles started growing. LCF doubled my capacity overnight prior to building more mitochondria and then getting the Metafolin up to a level that all levels of healing were turned on and healing. It was after I had worked up to walking 5 miles (50 ft increments) that I really stopped crashing in the same way. Then things progressed very rapidly.

Your story is pretty inspiring and I'm patient also. I realize the exercise thing is a little like titrating up a supplement, but it's very difficult to do because the demands on my energy are so unpredictable. Family and business responsibilities mean that I often skip exercising to avoid getting overwhelmed.

I'm recommitting to my exercise program now. Making notes on my calendar on bedroom wall (every month since beginning of my treatment is visible) helps me to see the patterns and I know it's a critical piece I need to give more priority.

Thanks for the push :D

I am pushing my Drs comfort level with my injections now. I am taking 1000 mcg s.c. in the morning and then 500 more in the afternoon. I don't have access to the concentrated formula that you have - mine is 1 mg/1 ml. I'm guessing that the carbon to cobalt are pretty stable and the cobalt toxicity is not likely then?
I could increase to 2000/day by injection and also take some sublingual - I wonder if that would do the trick?

This thread began with me telling people about my strange relationship with B2 and how I had huge problems absorbing the stuff. Never heard of anyone else with that problem. I am down to 100 mg and am about to split tabs to see if I can tolerate lower. My sense is that my gut is working better now. I don't supplement the other Bs at this time.
brad

@howirecovered
For me, the hardest part of this illness has always been the brain-fog. Clarity of mind....I miss it so much.
The LCF has helped. Freddd has suggested that I look at mB12 doses and that might help too. As I sit here now at 4:30 a.m. - I can't access my supplies because my wife is still sleeping - I am quite fogged. With my carnitine, hydrocortisone, B12 injection, and breakfast, the fog will diminish.
Freddd suggests that I consider my mB12 dosing to avoid the peaks and troughs through my day. Wish that I could lay my hands on some of the concentrated stuff.
So, light and easy exercise today and a teeny weeny sauna. I think that I am in good enough shape to write for your site now. Though I still have months of chelation to complete....maybe I will hold until I hit 90%. That is my goal. I don't expect to get out of this unscathed - my adrenals and colon are gone....90% with clarity of mind (last clear thought was the 3rd week of Nov. 2010). brad

howirecovered

@howirecoveredlast clear thought was the 3rd week of Nov. 2010. brad

Oh, I can so identify! next to my physical endurance, the thing I most miss about my old self, is the mind power. I have a few relatively good hours in the mornings but still struggle with fog for much of the day... I've been mentally handicapped for so long I can't even remember really what I used to be like.

Looking forward to your interview whenever your feeling ready.

stridor

@Freddd
I am taking mB12 1000 mcg s.c. in the morning and then 500 mcg at 4 p.m. This is pushing my Drs comfort level. He had not heard about MTHFR before I came along. I could get up to 2 mg/day injectable without giving him a stroke. Part of the problem is that I don't have access to the concentrated form that you have.

I will increase the injection to 2 mg/day and try to keep a tab on the go through the day. Any improvement and I will move mountains to find the concentrate.

In spite of what I said 2 posts ago, I take the daily minimums of B1, B2, B5 and B6 by injection. I am decreasing the B2 and am currently taking 100 mg/day. I also take an extra 25 mg of B6 and Biotin 5000 mcg/day.

@howirecovered
The exercise was hard. It hurt during muscle contraction but I did not get he sick "fibro burn" after the movement stopped as before. It took me all day to recover but I'm OK right now. Tomorrow will tell me more in terms of exercise tolerance.
How do you want to work this? Are you going to send interview questions?
brad

Freddd

I'd like to explain how I came up with 20mg/ml is that I read Dr. Neubrander's details. He suggested 25mg/ml because of how it affected evenness of absorption from SC injections. My pharmacist said that he just couldn't get that much MeCbl in solution and large amounts were left in the .2 micron filter. Then in the fridge it developed massive micro crystals so I had to heat in warm to the touch water to be able to inject and not clog a 31 gauge needle. 20mg/ml dissolved fully and didn't poly nucleate in the cold.

In the USA most all injections of MeCbl are prepared at a compounding pharmacist so it can be prescribed in terms of 20mg/ml. I prepared my own injections for some while. I had to use a magnetic stirrer with the vessel in a 100 degree F. water bath to fully dissolve the crystals and art 20mg/ml it took a couple of hours of stirring. This has to be done in the dark or with deep red fast orthochromatic film safelight. MeCbl is fragile in solution. I can tell the difference after 10 minutes exposure of the vial to room level light or one minute in a syringe. I did a series of tests. So I wrap the vials in foil and wrap the syringe as well. If you can see the color it is breaking down as you look at it. It deteriorates to HyCbl-H2OCbl equilibrium reaction.

Freddd

@Freddd
I am taking mB12 1000 mcg s.c. in the morning and then 500 mcg at 4 p.m. This is pushing my Drs comfort level. He had not heard about MTHFR before I came along. I could get up to 2 mg/day injectable without giving him a stroke. Part of the problem is that I don't have access to the concentrated form that you have.

I will increase the injection to 2 mg/day and try to keep a tab on the go through the day. Any improvement and I will move mountains to find the concentrate.

In spite of what I said 2 posts ago, I take the daily minimums of B1, B2, B5 and B6 by injection. I am decreasing the B2 and am currently taking 100 mg/day. I also take an extra 25 mg of B6 and Biotin 5000 mcg/day.

@howirecovered
The exercise was hard. It hurt during muscle contraction but I did not get he sick "fibro burn" after the movement stopped as before. It took me all day to recover but I'm OK right now. Tomorrow will tell me more in terms of exercise tolerance.
How do you want to work this? Are you going to send interview questions?
brad

Hi Stridor,

There was some Japanese research with several diseases all having neuropathic problems and low CSF cobamain. They found a "threshold" of healing for the CNS and they suspected "upregulation" of the neurological healing. A couple of us did a series of tests and found that the threshold was greater than 6mg and <= 7.5mg in an SC injection with a 5 star MeCbl. We found that 7.5mg 4x per day or 10mg 3x per day and for some 15mb 2x per day worked for continuous neurological healing. This 30mg dose is right in the neighborhood of the 50mg dose of which they were speaking.

The dose proportionate effectiveness with SC MeCbl in the body is about up to 3mg injected SC according to a number of sources and my own experience. That equates to about 15mg sublingual for as long as 2 hours. Then no noticeable effect until somewhere in excess of 7.5mg (30-50mg sublingual for 2 hours). If a person has CNS damage of many varieties a 5 star MeCbl SC injection, of 7.5mg will usually be noticeable in 1-2 hours. Done IM it will get high enough serum level to get into the CNS for about an hour. A 7.5mg dose has that for 6-8 hours, 10mg 8-10 hours or more depending upon what kind of CSF/cobalamin problem the individual has,. There is a second threshold in the CNS at 7.5mg or more, as verified in quite a few people now. The frequency depends a lot upon how slow your CNS takes it in or how quickly it gets dumped form the CNS. Another Japanese study used 2.5mg of intrathecal injected MeCbl with diabetic neuropathy. The high B12 lasted in the CSF from less than 3 months to more than 4 years in different people.

Freddd

can you tell me what are the signs/symptoms of neurological damage that would respond to this high dose b12?

This is the best description. It is mostly directly based on people who have done this in the context of the Active B12/folate protocol.

Approximate timing of my startup of individual items that being considered here, this gives a quite distinctive pattern for each nutrient or set of nutrients: 03/04/13, Version 1.1

Others mentioned similar patterns and variations.

1. Initially – Mecbl

2. +5 months 400mcg SAM-E

3. + 4 months AdoCbl

4. + 3 months titrate +50mg zinc

5. +4 years 400mcg Metafolin

6. +1 year LCF

7. + 1 month TMG 1000mg/day

8. 30mg total of MeCbl injections (3 or 4) daily,

9. +0 Reduce SAM-e to 200mcg

10. + 4 years remove TMG

11. +6 months increase SAM-E to 800mcg

12. Next 1 year titrating Metafolin and finding all the reasons I get folate insufficiency, early partial methylation block by effect.

These symptoms are what responded very well to CNS penetrating doses of MeCbl either as 50mg sublingual single 4-5 hour dose or 4 x 7.5mg or 3 x 10mg or for some 2 x 15mg subcutaneous MeCbl injections. Metafolin in some way enhances retention of AdoCbl and MeCbl with excretion visibly decreased. A sublingual dose of 1-2 tablets each hour added for 12 hours appears to generate substantial CNS penetration as well.

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl – Metafolin – Omega-3 oils

Elevated CSF Hcy
Low CSF cobalamin
limbs feel stiff
Drowsy

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl
dimmed vision - usually not noticed going into it because change can be very slow or present for life
Clumsiness

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl - Metafolin

Slow to adapt to night vision

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl – Metafolin – LCF

Difficulty in word finding

CNS penetrating dose MeCbl – AdoCbl – Metafolin – Omega-3 oils

Brainstem or cerebellar signs or even reversible (with mb12) coma may occur
demyelinated areas on nerves
subacute combined degeneration
axonal degeneration of spinal cord
unsteadiness of gait
ataxic gait, particularly in dark
positive Romberg
positive Lhermittes
Loss of motor control over some or all of toes
Loss of motor control over part or all of feet
Loss of sense of joint position
sudden electric like shocks/pains shooting down arms, body, legs shooting down from neck movement
sudden "ice pick" pain
decreased reflexes
brisk reflexes
Foot Drop
tripping over toes
injuring toes catching top of toes on floor
general feeling of weakness

howirecovered

hmmm, i have dimmed vision, some clumsiness especially before meals when my brain is shutting down, poor night vision and difficulty in word finding but no others from the list....

Freddd

hmmm, i have dimmed vision, some clumsiness especially before meals when my brain is shutting down, poor night vision and difficulty in word finding but no others from the list....

The clumsiness is full time not related to food or blood sugar, and varies from day to day but progresses over years for me. This is specifically slow to adapt night vision but not poor after adapting. Difficulty in word finding is something that can be of greater volatility than the clumsiness. For me it is sort of like the angular cheilitis. If I'm going the right direction it lessens over days to weeks and is gone in months. Going the other way gets very scary in periods of weeks. It goes downhill considerably faster than up. Dimmed vision can have other cause. You may have some of the brain problems but appear to lacking the cord lesions that I appear to have. I would certainly want to figure out what is happening. It doesn't have the pattern of SACD yet. By the time there is, the damage may be there to stay. The only definitive way to test it is a sufficient dose of each MeCbl and later a similar dose of AdoCbl, in the 30-50mg sublingual range. My experience appears to indicate, and many other have had the same effect, that if there are any additional changes at those doses after having no further effect at 20mg or so, that the B12 has CNS effects. But before that healing needs to be started at all levels is everything needed is at hand. CNS healing is the most difficult to trigger and works least well. Did you have any of those symptoms previously and they have cleared up? Good luck.

howirecovered

My experience appears to indicate, and many other have had the same effect, that if there are any additional changes at those doses after having no further effect at 20mg or so, that the B12 has CNS effects. But before that healing needs to be started at all levels is everything needed is at hand. CNS healing is the most difficult to trigger and works least well. Did you have any of those symptoms previously and they have cleared up? Good luck.

thanks Fred. no I don't believe I've had any of the other symptoms previously. At 5 mg a day, I'm currently a long way from those large doses but will continue working my way up and make sure to test them when the time is right. I'm guessing that might be in 6 to 9 months...

stridor

Hi Stridor,

There was some Japanese research with several diseases all having neuropathic problems and low CSF cobamain. They found a "threshold" of healing for the CNS and they suspected "upregulation" of the neurological healing. A couple of us did a series of tests and found that the threshold was greater than 6mg and <= 7.5mg in an SC injection with a 5 star MeCbl. We found that 7.5mg 4x per day or 10mg 3x per day and for some 15mb 2x per day worked for continuous neurological healing. This 30mg dose is right in the neighborhood of the 50mg dose of which they were speaking.

The dose proportionate effectiveness with SC MeCbl in the body is about up to 3mg injected SC according to a number of sources and my own experience. That equates to about 15mg sublingual for as long as 2 hours. Then no noticeable effect until somewhere in excess of 7.5mg (30-50mg sublingual for 2 hours). If a person has CNS damage of many varieties a 5 star MeCbl SC injection, of 7.5mg will usually be noticeable in 1-2 hours. Done IM it will get high enough serum level to get into the CNS for about an hour. A 7.5mg dose has that for 6-8 hours, 10mg 8-10 hours or more depending upon what kind of CSF/cobalamin problem the individual has,. There is a second threshold in the CNS at 7.5mg or more, as verified in quite a few people now. The frequency depends a lot upon how slow your CNS takes it in or how quickly it gets dumped form the CNS. Another Japanese study used 2.5mg of intrathecal injected MeCbl with diabetic neuropathy. The high B12 lasted in the CSF from less than 3 months to more than 4 years in different people.

Just to let you know that I increased to 2 mg injected a day after this message + 30 - 45 mg sublingual + 8.6 mg adeno a day. I did this for 18 months until the enamel started to leave my teeth. I assume it was the citric acid in the sublingual although I do take folate sublingual as well.

When I cut back (rather sharply) with the mB12 to the 2 mg injected a day I did not notice any changes. However, any attempt to decrease the injectable is noticeable within a day or so.

I am doing the full protocol and am doing pretty well. I treated a mycoplasma infection with 8 months of antibiotics and it killed what's left of my gut (colon gone). I now have a Mast Cell problem with hives and my food sensitivity list grows.

There is a plan that centers on coconut kefir. Time will tell.

I can still get into trouble with CFS if I get stupid and overdo it. Otherwise, I am getting caught up with the long list of projects around here.

Thank-you so much for what you have done. My life is so much better. brad

helen1

Have you had any luck improving your sleep? I am having similar problems and are interested in any solutions you may have found.

The carnitine issue interfering with sleep disappeared as I reduced the dose and then when I increased it back to 400 mg it didn't affect my sleep.

I've also found that an evening dose of B12 helps with sleep as does 6 drops of CBD oil and also excellent is magnolia bark (probably the most helpful but tolerance develops so can't use every night). Magnolia bark is one of the ingredients in Relora, if you've ever tried that.

There are other threads you might want to check out on what others find helpful for sleep.

@heyitisjustin

heyitisjustin

I now have a Mast Cell problem with hives and my food sensitivity list grows.

There is a plan that centers on coconut kefir. Time will tell.
Do you know if you have histadelia (problems with High Histamine). I thought Mast Cell was related to that.
I know many probiotics are advised against for histadelia (as they can raise histamine). What are you using coconut kefir for, to improve bacteria?

stridor

@heyitisjustin
I wondered how I would react to probiotics too.

I have Mast Cell problems. I was always a skin-writer and had the odd hive now and then since I was in my 20's if not before. Last year, when I was treated with 8 months of antibiotics (mycoplasma) something happened and my Mast Cells went nuts.

I don't have a colon. Our guts were designed to sequester lower tract bacteria in the colon. It does this mechanically with an ileocecal valve and the lactobacillus lower the ph in the small intestine.

I don't have a valve.

The antibiotics seem to have set the stage for SIBO and leaky gut and my immune system reacted by adding dairy and eggs to an ever-growing list of food sensitivities. (I eat paleo).

I did a round of Humaworm to kill off some of the bacteria and now am taking lots of coconut kefir in an attempt to acidfy the ileum and force the lower tract bacteria further down the pipe. Then, if I am right, the small intestine can heal and the immune system can settle down a bit.

I have gone from 4 or 5 outbreaks of hives a day to one in the past month (goat cheese). By outbreaks I am referring to patches of hives greater than the size of the palm of a hand up to half my torso. I get hives once or twice day but they are usually around half the size of my palm.

It should also be noted that I have not been wearing my winter coat which is down-filled. I am supposed to be allergic to feathers and a pile of environmental allergens but I have never tended to notice this much. Things change though and I am trying to think of everything.