• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

magnesium and PEM

zzz0r

I want to discuss the role that magnesium plays in CFS. The reason that I am posting this thread here is that i strongly believe that the cure for most of my symptoms is in the methylation protocols ( I am following @Freddd at the moment). I can say for sure that just mb12 has a strong effect on me and I will see how it goes when I add metafolin.
For comparison with the people that are reading this thread, my symptoms are
insomnia -specifying- sleep that does not offer rest, not deep sleep or no sleep
unsteady gait -specifying- unsteady walking, feeling like you are in a boat while you are walking
bad mood
low energy
All the symptoms worsen when I am trying to work out.
So before I find out phoenix rising forum and before I even learn about the importance of b12 and specifically mb12 I managed to keep my symptoms under control by adding 100mg magnesium daily into my diet. Magnesium seems to kick in after the third day of use and offers better sleep, good concentration through out the day and clarity and more energy. However it does not prevents symptos for getting worse when I am wroking out but it does offer faster recovery. The biggest does of magnesium that i tried was 1g (liquid form) but the second day it made me feel out of breath when i was walking like i was needing more air although the energy and clarity and improvement of sleep still remained, so I lowered the dose.
Did anyone else had similar experiences with magnesium?

Freddd

I want to discuss the role that magnesium plays in CFS. The reason that I am posting this thread here is that i strongly believe that the cure for most of my symptoms is in the methylation protocols ( I am following @Freddd at the moment). I can say for sure that just mb12 has a strong effect on me and I will see how it goes when I add metafolin.
For comparison with the people that are reading this thread, my symptoms are
insomnia -specifying- sleep that does not offer rest, not deep sleep or no sleep
unsteady gait -specifying- unsteady walking, feeling like you are in a boat while you are walking
bad mood
low energy
All the symptoms worsen when I am trying to work out.
So before I find out phoenix rising forum and before I even learn about the importance of b12 and specifically mb12 I managed to keep my symptoms under control by adding 100mg magnesium daily into my diet. Magnesium seems to kick in after the third day of use and offers better sleep, good concentration through out the day and clarity and more energy. However it does not prevents symptos for getting worse when I am wroking out but it does offer faster recovery. The biggest does of magnesium that i tried was 1g (liquid form) but the second day it made me feel out of breath when i was walking like i was needing more air although the energy and clarity and improvement of sleep still remained, so I lowered the dose.
Did anyone else had similar experiences with magnesium?

Hi zzz0r,

Magnesium is one of those critical cofactors whose deficiency can deadlock methylation and ATP production. Your symptoms are all very familiar to me and others with these deficiencies.. The AdoCbl and LCF may very well be what it takes to restore your exercise capabilities and help the muscles in so many ways. All 4 of the deadlock quartet and other cofactors would lead me to expect that you could have recovery well along in a year.

zzz0r

The reason I did this thread is to drag peoples attention that magnesium can help in the recover of PEM. I would also like to share experiences regarding dosage and the form of magnesium taken. I find out that 120mg of L-aspartate magnesium daily will help me recover from PEM in 2 to 3 days depending on how heavy was my work out. If there are other people suffering from PEM they should try magnesium and share their experience. Also people that already have knowledge of its benefits please let us know what dosage are you taking , how often, which form of magnesium and how long does it take to recover

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
You are intentionally doing work outs that knock you down for 2 or 3 days at a time?

zzz0r

yes it is important for me to know how much work out I can tolerate. If I can not get back to my normal work out program that I used to have before cfs kicked in then I would not be able to heal. It is like an important factor for me.

Mij

If you have a magnesium deficiency then yes it will help with symptoms you are experiencing. Magnesium does not "heal" CFS and exercising to tolerance is not the way to heal yourself.

I took magnesium and taurine IM for years off and on and it helped tremendously with the symptoms I was having because my stores were depleted.

zzz0r

You are missing the point of the thread, I did not say that magnesium heals cfs. I am saying that it plays an important role in PEM recovery after work out. At least for me. Also I am saying that based on my symptoms if I reach a point that I can work out normaly without that affecting my symptoms then I would have been healed because that is my main problem. I can manage if I sit arround and just do nothing. The problem starts if I try to activate my body.

caledonia

Magnesium, along with B12 and folate is required to produce SAMe, which donates it's methyl group to various substrates producing methylation. Methylation is involved in 40 processes in the body. Magnesium is also involved in many other processes in the body - it's a very important substance.

The adrenals control the balance of electrolytes in the body, including magnesium. If the adrenals are weak, it will be unable to hold onto electrolytes and you will become deficient in them. Electrolytes are involved with muscle movement. So you can see where supplementing with magnesium (and probably the other electrolytes) would be helpful for PEM.

I took 1800mg of magnesium glycinate for many years. As I've been doing methylation, my need for magnesium has decreased dramatically down to about 500mg. I believe this indicates a lot of improvement in my adrenals. I haven't gotten retested yet, but my adrenals were almost a flat line - zero - for many years.

zzz0r

which method do you use to test your magnesium levels? As serum wont show the level of mg in cells!