• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pre-emptive buttock clenching for POTS?

Allyson

I met someone who treats people who faint when they see blood or have a needle etc - they use a treatment that involves buttock clenching prior to the procedure - I assue that boosts intra - abdominal pressure - interesting;

Could we use pre-emptive clenching to deal with POTS?

Interesting as I find pilates to be very helpful and it works on the same principles ...and more

Ally

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I met someone who treats people who faint when they see blood or have a needle etc - they use a treatment that involves buttock clenching prior to the procedure - I assue that boosts intra - abdominal pressure - interesting;

Could we use pre-emptive clenching to deal with POTS?

Interesting as I find pilates to be very helpful and it works on the same principles ...and more

Ally

Yes, the air force teaches pilots to do this and other clenching exercises to prevent passing out while doing extreme flying. We had a navy pilot demonstrate these exercises (and a G-suit) to our support group.

I find that pilates helps too.

Best,
Sushi

xchocoholic

When I say I'm having a POTS episode it means that my whole body is feeling the need to lay down. This typically includes having a petit mal, sob and weakness in my arms and legs. I don't faint.

If laying down isn't an option I have these symptoms plus agitation. And I begin to figet / walk in place / etc.

Maybe this would help those getting ready to faint but I can't see how it would help anyone who's whole body is suffering from hypoperfusion and hyperperfusion simultaneously.

ukxmrv

I saw a physio in around 2002 who tried to improve my "posture". Part of that involved buttock clenching but there were other exercises to try and roll my shoulders and get me to stand up straight. I got weaker and weaker. Guessing that this would be good for people who can exercise but not me.

The physio had me doing the buttock clenching in situations that I had to stand. I'm guessing that she wasn't thinking of POTs but trying to improve my ability to stand. It made me weaker when I did it standing in queues though.

Pilates causes PEM for me as well. Doesn't help the POTS.

Allyson

When I say I'm having a POTS episode it means that my whole body is feeling the need to lay down. This typically includes having a petit mal, sob and weakness in my arms and legs. I don't faint.

If laying down isn't an option I have these symptoms plus agitation. And I begin to figet / walk in place / etc.

Maybe this would help those getting ready to faint but I can't see how it would help anyone who's whole body is suffering from hypoperfusion and hyperperfusion simultaneously.

what is the hyerperfusion part you refer to please x - I get ht hypo perfusion bit?
ally

xchocoholic

Ummmm, I came up with this on my own. Sorry I didn't spell that out.

My theory is that since we're not losing blood as is the norm for "hypoperfusion", the areas that our blood settles in will be suffering from hyperperfusion.

Dr peckerman explained hypoperfusion in our upper body but I didn't see him address the fact that we didn't lose blood. It just settles elsewhere.

I wish I had the medical background to analyze all the factors involved.

tc ... x