• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Griffith Uni ME/CFS Centre for NeuroImmunology & Emerging Diseases opens

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I doubt if much in the way of any equipment has been purchased specifically for cfs me. Something hi tech in the past would have to be shared with cancer, hiv etc so cfs would have not been a priority if at all.

Cd4 testing was mentioned as what this machine is used for elsewhere. I can only guess that this new machine is unique in some way as I have had my cd4 tested many times locally and guess that most labs in australia have a machine capable of this. These tests I have had done were well before griffith got their new machine??

Elph68

Yes. Brand new to them of course - but presumably not to ME research. This was sold as being unique but I think Cort got his wires crossed.
Hi Firestormm,

I believe these use laser technology to count the amount of something. The only other place that I believe uses the same technology here in Australia is Bioscreen at the Melbourne University, they have also studied CFS/ME. It is my guess, but it seems to me that these universities have figured it out and are now in the process of obtaining enough evidence to make public their findings .....

It might do everybody good to watch what they are up to ....

Cheers.

aimossy

Seems weird eh? hope it does get clarified actually because its not good to come across as slower than the rest. It doesn't seem to fit the picture.
edit. I havnt read corts article yet.

Elph68

Hi Aimossy,

It does when you consider they are looking for biomarkers in the blood, or counting bacteria levels and are setting up a treatment clinic also ..... The thing I find curious is if you take the CFS questionnaire on their site, they ask some very interesting questions, to do with heavy metal exposure, sickness, sore throat etc. The survey is similar to the Melbourne University questionnaire that came with the bioscreen stool test, but it is a lot more in-depth.

I reckon these guys, along with Melbourne have figured it out .....

Firestormm

Hi Firestormm,

I believe these use laser technology to count the amount of something. The only other place that I believe uses the same technology here in Australia is Bioscreen at the Melbourne University, they have also studied CFS/ME. It is my guess, but it seems to me that these universities have figured it out and are now in the process of obtaining enough evidence to make public their findings .....

It might do everybody good to watch what they are up to ....

Cheers.

I can understand that analyzing Australian patients with new kit - that has been available and used in other countries - will help us to compare cohorts around the world as well as being useful for Australian research.

Hopefully, someone will be able to explain to me what this piece of kit actually brings to the research field - in layman's terms - that wasn't available before. It may be that it does a similar job as before but more efficiently for all I know :)

@Simon you know anything about this piece of kit me old mate? :)

aimossy

interesting @Elph68
I forgot I meant to do that questionnaire its open to outside OZ. thanks for reminder I need to put that on a post it and stick it to the computer.
they could just know the areas they really think need looked into :)

heapsreal

Hopefully theres a cure in it.
When i did the nk study a 3 yrs ago they werent really go after a treatment yet but a diagnostic test or group of biomarkers.
Im guessing that it will be a diagnostic test first, maybe jumping the gun for a treatment/cure unless they have worked something out with peterson and or the vikings with there treatments??

Lets hope they post something soon.

Suspense feels like a 2 edged sword after going through the suspense of previous findings and treatments that were supose to be earth shattering. I can only imagine the let downs the poor buggers who have had this since the mid 1980's with ampligen(ongoing) and defreitas retrovirus etc etc Fingers are crossed.

Elph68

interesting @Elph68
I forgot I meant to do that questionnaire its open to outside OZ. thanks for reminder I need to put that on a post it and stick it to the computer.
they could just know the areas they really think need looked into :)

Well I spoke to Bioscreen and they have finished their current study on ME/CFS and were looking to work with insomnia patients next ..... I know they have figured it out, they just can't get the message out .... it is just up to the rest of the world to catch up ....

It is not the equipment so much but it is how they are using it to find what they are looking for ..... The Aussies know the cause and are now just trying to collect enough data ..... Start taking notice world ..... Aussie medical researchers are smart cookies ....... Aussie doctors however are the most conservative in the world :(

I bet antibiotics will be a part of their clinics treatment ......

alex3619

Flow cytometry today is far more advanced than flow cytometry in the 50s. That makes a huge difference. I don't know the machine used or its specifications but I guess it would be capable of testing far more samples in any given time, and doing so accurately. Also they may be comparing to their old lab.

Compare using the Hubble telescope with a small toy telescope for a young boy. Both are telescopes, but our researchers would notice the difference.

PS My knowledge is out of date, but I think modern flow cytometers use antibody tags on cells, then fluoresce them with a laser, then they simply count the little flashes which gets recorded by the computer. So you mix blood or whatever with the dedicated antibody tag, flow it through the machine, and see what count it got for that volume of blood. Too easy.

aimossy

I had hoped it was a flash new faster tool.
@Elph68 I hope for all our sakes you will be right but I am cautious with my optimism.

heapsreal

Well I spoke to Bioscreen and they have finished their current study on ME/CFS and were looking to work with insomnia patients next ..... I know they have figured it out, they just can't get the message out .... it is just up to the rest of the world to catch up ....

It is not the equipment so much but it is how they are using it to find what they are looking for ..... The Aussies know the cause and are now just trying to collect enough data ..... Start taking notice world ..... Aussie medical researchers are smart cookies ....... Aussie doctors however are the most conservative in the world :(

c'mmon!! your leaving us hanging.:woot:

aimossy

LOL so true @heapsreal
um I think I would like to point out that although AUS and NZ are in the "colonies" we are not backward in coming forward or stuck in the 50s.....that critique on corts article did seem based on a presumption.
not afraid to admit to a small country chip on my shoulder.:rofl:
I think its important to not talk something up though.....you can come a cropper down the track if it doesn't pan out!
It is nice to think someone is onto something though and working on it so close to home:)

heapsreal

LOL so true @heapsreal
um I think I would like to point out that although AUS and NZ are in the "colonies" we are not backward in coming forward or stuck in the 50s.....that critique on corts article did seem based on a presumption.
not afraid to admit to a small country chip on my shoulder.:rofl:
I think its important to not talk something up though.....you can come a cropper down the track if it doesn't pan out!
It is nice to think someone is onto something though and working on it so close to home:)

totally agree, i was thinking the same thing. Most of the big cancer research and treatments were discovered by australian researchers as well as the boomerang and the biggest rock in the world. :lol:

Firestormm

What study? And has it been published? And why antibiotics - what do they claim to have found? Thanks.

Firestormm

PS My knowledge is out of date, but I think modern flow cytometers use antibody tags on cells, then fluoresce them with a laser, then they simply count the little flashes which gets recorded by the computer. So you mix blood or whatever with the dedicated antibody tag, flow it through the machine, and see what count it got for that volume of blood. Too easy.

So antibodies? I thought they were looking for other things... I need to read up (and remember) what it is they claim to be looking for and is seen by them as being important. But basically, you are saying they are looking at blood for use in this machine then?

alex3619

I have used just about every dam antibiotic, i hope its not one i have already used that they are looking at??

[In Jest] Mercury! Cures most things. Arsenic! Cures most things. Bet you haven't tried those heaps! Of course many treated with these went mad or psychotic ... little inconsequential side effects. :meh:

PS or died.

Last edited: