• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A possability for less work and easier food preperation?

Deatheye

So I was totally unsure where to put this.

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-Body

This Looks interesting. I would test it out but at the Moment it is only beeing delivered in the US.

You save the time and energy to cook, as Long as it is in powder form it can be stored much longer then any fresh Food.

You can even create your own reciept if you Need more of one ingredient:

http://diy.soylent.me/

Anyone from the US thinks about trying this out? Anyone any thoughts about it?

Aside from the Information on the official site itself I only foun a article in german ( http://www.vice.com/alps/read/30-tage-ohne-essen ).

In that article the write a test for 30 days, he felt unwell on the second day, dosen't mention anything about sympthoms later on. He also writes that he feels unwell about the thougt to not eat normal Food for so Long and maybe some of the sympthoms on the second day could be psycological.
He shortly metions a doctor visit. But only one Thing is mentioned, he lost 5kg weight. But it seems he had to much weigt anyway so that was a good Thing.

Caffeine seems to have an extreme effect together with soylent, so he says you should be carefully testing how much caffeine you take in and how you react. He compares it with Amphetamine.

Cause he wasn't eating anything else he had to Train his chewing muscles with chewing gum but there is no Problem alternae between soyet and normal Food.

The statments on he sylmet site from customers seem to Report a lot of things ike "more energy" bether thinking (bether cognitiv fnctionality), but I'm always carefull with them. I always wonder how much those are real or a PR Thing. Even if they are real bad ones propbly don't et published on the Producers site.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
So I was totally unsure where to put this.

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-Body

This Looks interesting. I would test it out but at the Moment it is only beeing delivered in the US.

You save the time and energy to cook, as Long as it is in powder form it can be stored much longer then any fresh Food.

You can even create your own reciept if you Need more of one ingredient:

http://diy.soylent.me/

Anyone from the US thinks about trying this out? Anyone any thoughts about it?

Aside from the Information on the official site itself I only foun a article in german ( http://www.vice.com/alps/read/30-tage-ohne-essen ).

In that article the write a test for 30 days, he felt unwell on the second day, dosen't mention anything about sympthoms later on. He also writes that he feels unwell about the thougt to not eat normal Food for so Long and maybe some of the sympthoms on the second day could be psycological.
He shortly metions a doctor visit. But only one Thing is mentioned, he lost 5kg weight. But it seems he had to much weigt anyway so that was a good Thing.

Caffeine seems to have an extreme effect together with soylent, so he says you should be carefully testing how much caffeine you take in and how you react. He compares it with Amphetamine.

Cause he wasn't eating anything else he had to Train his chewing muscles with chewing gum but there is no Problem alternae between soyet and normal Food.

The statments on he sylmet site from customers seem to Report a lot of things ike "more energy" bether thinking (bether cognitiv fnctionality), but I'm always carefull with them. I always wonder how much those are real or a PR Thing. Even if they are real bad ones propbly don't et published on the Producers site.

Surely these guys are having a laugh, naming it Soylent! Do an internet search and see what you find, avoiding the promotional sites.

The Wikipedia entry is interesting.

One alarming aspect is that fat comes exclusively from olive oil, and that omega-3s are not considered essential. They are! This surely indicates that the producer has a poor grasp of nutrition.

Also, I quote:

Soylent in its present form may lack some nutrients essential for normal body functioning and/or may fail to provide nutrients in appropriate proportions, potentially causing medical problems if used long-term.[4] The fundamental basis of the assumptions made by Soylent are disputed; with focus on the fact that, because digestion is a complex phenomenon and there is not a simple linear relationship between nutrient ingestion and nutrient absorption, many factors contribute to nutrient absorption in the human body.[14]

With respect to the suitability of the product for general consumption, homemade Soylent is made without the kinds of regulatory safeguards and fine-tunings followed when making accepted artificial diets such as medical food.[1]

Personally I enjoy food and have no desire to give it up. I appreciate that some people have difficulty with food preparation/eating, but IMO they would be better off with a medically-approved substitute or getting food prepared by someone else if they can.

MeSci

OK, I have just checked their blog page and there is omega-3 in it (now?). I still have no desire to try it! We need solid food for healthy bowel function, which is particularly important in ME.

Deatheye

OK, I have just checked their blog page and there is omega-3 in it (now?). I still have no desire to try it! We need solid food for healthy bowel function, which is particularly important in ME.
Is there any proove about needing solid Food? That was one thought I had too. But I don't know if it actually makes a difference.

The fundamental basis of the assumptions made by Soylent are disputed; with focus on the fact that, because digestion is a complex phenomenon and there is not a simple linear relationship between nutrient ingestion and nutrient absorption, many factors contribute to nutrient absorption in the human body.[14]

Doesn't that also Count for "normal" Food intake too? I don't really see how this is Special to soylent.
Sadly 14 refers to a book and not an online ressource.
Reference number 4 links to an article on techkrunch and I guess it's about this:

But mainstream dietitians remain skeptical. “My short answer is that I don't know any more about this product than the limited information provided on the product website,” says Diane Stadler, PhD, RD - a registered dietitian and assistant professor of medicine at Oregon Health & Science University. Stadler warns that although we know many of the essential nutrients in food, we don't know everything and there's a strong possibility that an elemental diet like this could miss something critically important. “I would not promote this type of diet to the general public, as there are many ways that it can go wrong, especially if consumed long-term,” she says.

£Sound a lot less worrying then how it is described on Wikipedia. Basically says we don't know. Which also would apply to every other way of Food intake.
Also I think that it's pretty outdated, the Website at least now has pretty detailed Information what is in it. The Article ius from May 2013.

One alarming aspect is that fat comes exclusively from olive oil,
Why is that alarming? Also I've read that there are (maybe also newly added) at least two sources of fat. I can't seem to find the sources again doing a quick search :/
I think ist from the fish oil?

Personally I enjoy food and have no desire to give it up.

I agree. But I had times where I wasn't able to make Food for days or even weeks.
I allready take suplements in pill forms, personally I think I would prefere a all in one thing over a bag full of pills.
In those cases I lived of small things like one or two joghurts a day or nothing for a few days. In some cases I got IV nutritions... That helped, seemed I allready had a lot of nutritens missing and IVs aren't really a thing I'm looking Forward too, specially since my blood vessels start to inflame if I have those too often which causes even more Problems...

The developers, or at least one of them lived 3 months only of soylent and thoesn't seem to have any Problems.
Personally, if somehow possible, I alsow wouldn't fulle go away from normal Food. Just for those cases that something is bether then nothing.

Last edited:

MeSci

The developers, or at least one of them lived 3 months only of soylent and thoesn't seem to have any Problems.
Personally, if somehow possible, I alsow wouldn't fulle go away from normal Food. Just for those cases that something is bether then nothing.

The developers may claim to have done things. Is there proof that they actually did, and did they have health checks afterwards? Don't forget - things like bowel cancer can take decades to develop.

I'm just expressing my views and pointing out possible reasons not to do it. It's of course entirely up to you if you want to.

Here are some articles that you might want to read and consider before deciding:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2013/05/nutrition
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/10032594/The-man-who-lives-without-food.html

If I were to use a meal replacement I would rather it were developed by a biologist than by a software engineer!

Valentijn

I don't trust any product which is being sold on the internet before the nutritional info is even available - does this stuff actually exist, or is it a scam? And why buy it for $3+ per "meal" when you can get oat/rice milk or the raw ingredients and mix them yourself?

The blog also says the drink "has everything the body needs" which is obviously not true. Rice + oats + oils + thickening gums is not something to live off of.

Deatheye

I don't trust any product which is being sold on the internet before the nutritional info is even available - does this stuff actually exist, or is it a scam? And why buy it for $3+ per "meal" when you can get oat/rice milk or the raw ingredients and mix them yourself?

The blog also says the drink "has everything the body needs" which is obviously not true. Rice + oats + oils + thickening gums is not something to live off of.
Oat Flour (210g) - As the only whole food ingredient in Soylent, oat flour provides several different essential macronutrients simultaneously. However, it is primarily used as a source of starch. Oat starch is a complex carbohydrate, which is broken down slowly by the body and absorbed into cells as glucose.

Oats are very nutritious overall as they also provide some protein, fat, iron, phosphorous, and more. Our oat flour is conventionally grown in the United States. Whole oat grains are processed into a powder for solubility and tested for impurities.

As a whole food source there are several non-nutritive substances in oats such as Phytic acid, which can potentially interfere with calcium and iron intake. However, the ratio of minerals to phytic acid means there is ample available for absorption and no tests have indicated any trouble absorbing either one.

Maltodextrin (132g) - As the primary source of energy for the body, carbohydrates are the largest component of Soylent by mass. The starch in Oat Flour makes up the bulk of this nutrient and the rest is provided by Maltodextrin.

Maltodextrin is an oligosaccharide, or a medium-long chain of glucose units composed of both 1->4 and 1->6 glycosidic bonds. Maltodextrins are classified by “dextrose equivalence” or DE. Dextrose, a monosaccharide is the simplest unit of sugar. Higher DE means shorter average chains with a DE of 100 applying to dextrose. Our chosen maltodextrin is derived from corn and has a DE of 10.

Monosaccharides and disaccharides are simple sugars which are lower in molecular weight such as glucose, fructose, dextrose, or lactose, while complex carbohydrates are longer chains of sugars (polysaccharides) linked together such as starches.

Starches are long chains of glucose molecules linked together by glycosidic bonds, and are broken down slowly by the body, thus preventing a spike in blood sugar (spikes in blood sugar are problematic because they lead to spikes in insulin (a hormone released by the pancreas that encourages cells in the liver, skeletal muscle, and fat tissue to take up glucose). Gradually, through frequent spikes of insulin, the body may adapt to pay less attention to these signals resulting in “insulin resistance”, a precursor to type II diabetes.

Preliminary tests by beta testers and founders abiding by WHO glycemic index testing guidelines have found the GI to be rather low. More formal testing is planned for early 2014.

Brown Rice Protein Isolate (102g) - Proteins are broken down into their constituent amino acids and either metabolized for energy, or used as building blocks for new protein synthesis by cells. All proteins are made of the same 20 amino acids, 11 of which can be synthesized by the body. This leaves 9 that must be consumed in the diet, in different amounts.

Our brown rice protein has a complete amino acid profile, meaning it provides enough of each essential amino acid, in addition to all non-essential, to supply the body with its needs. Individual amino acid requirements are provided by the WHO, based on decades of research.

Rice protein tends to have applications issues such as a “chalky” texture profile, but modern processing techniques have produced finer mills and better tasting blends.

Canola Oil (56g) - Fatty acids are a type of lipid and are essential to the body. Some essential vitamins, such as A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble and require fat to be transported and absorbed by the body.

Like amino acids, fatty acids can be either metabolized for energy or used as cell components. Linoleic acid, for example, is abundant in cell membranes, and must be consumed in the diet as it cannot be synthesized by the body.

Canola oil is mostly Oleic, Linoleic, and alpha-Linoleic acids which are omega-9, omega-6, and omega-3 fatty acids, respectively. Canola oil is also attractive because it contains very little saturated and negligibly low levels of trans-saturated fats, which are not required in the diet and are risk factors for heart disease.

Fish Oil (6.4g) - Fish oil is a popular source of the Omega-3 fatty acids recommended in the diet by the American Heart Association. Though technically only ALA is essential, the conversion factor to DHA and EPA which occurs in the body is poor and direct supplementation is advised.

DHA is found in synaptic membranes of the brain and both EPA and DHA have been found to improve overall mental health and stability.

Soylent contains roughly 1g of each omega-3 fatty acid per day, which is comfortably in excess of the amount recommended by the AHA. The USDA has also made mention of officially recommending EPA and DHA for inclusion in the diet, though the amount is undecided.

Fiber (38g) - While not nutritionally essential, fiber is crucial for the overall health of the body and digestive system. Fibers such as cellulose contain molecular bonds unable to be broken by the body’s natural enzymes, and is instead metabolized by the multitude of microorganisms that colonize the human gut. While the grand diversity and function of the microbiome is beyond the scope of this post, the IOM recommends 38g of dietary fiber each day for an active male.

Most of the fiber content in Soylent comes from the oat powder, some in the form of Beta-glucans, the only dietary fiber currently recognized by the EFSA to be able to reduce a disease risk. Other fibers come from xanthan gum and gum acacia, which will be further addressed in a later post.

Macronutrient Ratio - As advised by our nutritional advisor, F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, M.D., MPH, Soylent has a Carbohydrate/Fat/Protein ratio of 50/30/20. Pi-Sunyer is professor of medicine at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City. At St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center he serves as chief of endocrinology, diabetes, and nutrition, and is director of the New York Obesity Research Center. Dr. Pi-Sunyer is also a senior attending physician at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital and New York-Presbyterian Hospital. This and general agreement within the field gives us confidence that this is a good macronutrient ratio for the general population.

This is the first blog post gointo the Details of what it contains. It does exists, I've read articles from journalists that tested it out.