• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trouble Drinking enough water with antivirals

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm having a real problem drinking enough water. I HATE water, in fact I hate drinking except when I eat.

I start out with good intentions but the constant trips to pee is exhausting so I just forget it. I KNOW I need to with antivirals.

I make really week iced tea and that is easier to get down and I've been putting stevia in my water so that also helps.

Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do?

vamah

I'm not a big water person either, but any drink is mostly water, so I just drink what I feel like -- juice, iced tea, whatever. I think eating fruit also counts. I'm not sure why people get so obsessive about getting a certain amount of water it its pure form.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm not a big water person either, but any drink is mostly water, so I just drink what I feel like -- juice, iced tea, whatever. I think eating fruit also counts. I'm not sure why people get so obsessive about getting a certain amount of water it its pure form.

I hate drinking, period and water is the worst. And I'm not eating much fruit now. So if I don't drink I don't get it. I have a 16 oz. bottle in front of me that I started at 8 and I just can't do it.

Everything I've read says drink 2 liters of water when on antivirals. That is just not going to happen, but I'd like to get close.

vli

If you hate drinking, period then i wonder if things like boxed soups will help. I also have this problem and if i find it too thick I just dilute it up and make it part of my dinner.

that's the lazy way, another lazy way i use is just to dump some organic stock in water and make broth. at least this is very warming in winter.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
That's a possibility except it may not work because of dietary issues (I'm on a 1200 calorie/day plan) Also, the energy it takes to even heat it up, as minimal as it might seem, is not always possible.

Mink

(i'm still staring at the first bottle although I'm almost done with that.)

vli

yeah, i know what u mean, which is why if i have the boxed soups i just drink them straight out/cold. i am that tired too. but yes you'd still have the calorie problem

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
yeah, i know what u mean, which is why if i have the boxed soups i just drink them straight out/cold. i am that tired too. but yes you'd still have the calorie problem
Hah, That sounds kind of gross, cold broth.

If I have calories to spare I need to eat fiber. It shouldn't be this hard!

Same problem here. I hate water unless it's RO water with the a right amount sea salt added.

Finding that one type of water I could drink was a small breakthrough. I believe with other water (even bottled) I was sensitive to impurities.

(Edit: Once I had water from a pure mountain spring, it was wonderful, the RO water is just good not wonderful. Can't get that except up the mountain. Most bottled waters are not healthy.)

However with that water, I still don't drink much usually, unless I've made it a mission to drink more. (However if I focus on water consumption, other important things get neglected.)

A real reason I don't drink it enough is because of bladder pressure and having to pee frequently.

Juice and fruit are not the same, the sugars negate a lot of the benefit.

I love coconut water and can easily drink 5-8 cups a day, but it's too expensive :( Since I don't hydrate well, when I get coconut water I can hardly stop drinking it.

Some vegetables have higher water content, and they are one major source of water for me.

Broth is a good idea, which I need to be doing, and I drink decaf organic tea.

vli

@minkeygirl , yeah i knew when i said that ppl'd think "gross!", but the boxed ones aren't really broths, they're soups...hence i say you can just make it part of your dinner, but i guess if you already have a calorie plan drawn up then it's hard. http://www.imaginefoods.com/products/creamy_soups

I also agree coconut water is great, i am moving back to the US in two weeks so i will find out how much my favourite brand costs over there: http://kohcoconut.com/where-to-buy/#

I also agree coconut water is great, i am moving back to the US in two weeks so i will find out how much my favourite brand costs over there: http://kohcoconut.com/where-to-buy/#

I always see that the cheapest coconut water is twice the price of organic milk, per ounce. (Organic milk being about twice the cost of conventional milk.) Unless you get one of the best sales of the year.

Organic soups are about the price of coconut water.

vli

I always see that the cheapest coconut water is twice the price of organic milk, per ounce.

Really? Ugh that doesn't bode well for me then. as for the soups... Imagine does have non-organic versions of everything, but I dunno how much they're cheaper by.

taniaaust1

I like home made almond milk, quite nutritious too of course. Issue is it takes time to make. (Ive recently brought a pulverizer in which can make it in less then 1min so thats far better). If you drink nutritious things you can count the calories and having them as part of your normal food.

As far as getting fibre goes.. I think some natural fibre things eg psyillium husks.. dont give calories as one doesnt absorb them being just fibre.

If you need to constantly pee after drinking.. you may need something like Florinef to help hold the fluids in.

SOC

I'm having a real problem drinking enough water. I HATE water, in fact I hate drinking except when I eat.

I start out with good intentions but the constant trips to pee is exhausting so I just forget it. I KNOW I need to with antivirals.

I make really week iced tea and that is easier to get down and I've been putting stevia in my water so that also helps.

Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do?
I was never much of a fan of straight up water, either, but when my docs wanted me to drink 3 liters of electrolyte water daily, I decided to suck it up and do it. Because I need to super hydrate before bed and rehydrate in the morning to keep my blood volume up, I decided to just make it a bedtime/morning chore.

I mix 2 750-ml cups of water with ice (which seems to make it more palatable) and just chug one along with my bedtime meds and the other with my morning meds. It's not pleasurable. It's a chore, just like taking all those meds. But at least it's done and I don't have to think about sipping water all day, which never works for me -- I just don't get enough in. Now it's a habit, so it doesn't bother me much. It's just another thing I gotta do.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I wouldn't do it before bed because I'd be up all night peeing.

I do need to rethink drinking when I get up. I can grab a bottle when I get up to pee and try to get it down then.

I'm staring at my 2nd 16 oz right now. Drank maybe 2 so far.

Ugh.

SOC

I wouldn't do it before bed because I'd be up all night peeing.

If you're peeing a lot you should probably be checked for diabetes insipidus. You might not have enough vasopressin (ADH). If that's the case, you can take desmopression (if you have central DI) and feel better and pee less. :D

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I am not peeing a lot. OMG. Why does everyone start diagnosing people with crazy diseases without having any clue? I pee after drinking a liter of water! Who doesn't? That doesn't mean I have some disease that causes me to pee buckets.

I feel like a pee almost the same amount as I drink. But I read this was typical in M.E. patients with low blood volume, I am positive I have that.

(My 24 hour glucose tolerance test was normal.)

My frequency of peeing is excessive and very tiring. And the delay before it's out is too long, I can't just drink a glass before bed, wait 25 minutes, pee, and be done with it. Instead I'll have to pee 4 times over the next 2 hours or more.

It's too disruptive to my sleep and takes too much energy. So I have to avoid drinking before bed, and get very dehydrated by morning.

CBS

I am not peeing a lot. OMG. Why does everyone start diagnosing people with crazy diseases without having any clue? I pee after drinking a liter of water! Who doesn't? That doesn't mean I have some disease that causes me to pee buckets.

I think SOC was just trying to help. And as for "Why does everyone start diagnosing people with crazy diseases without having any clue?" I suspect they tried to be helpful because they thought that your "being up all night peeing if you drank before bed" was a CLUE or they're just mean and they find it funny to torment cats and watch them overreact.