• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OI Poor Mans TTT results help please!

JBB

Hey guys,

I'm new to this OI part of ME / CFS. Just did my poor man's tilt table test and here are the results:

After 10 minutes lying down:
BPM SYS DIA
65 128 66

Standing measured once per minute:
BPM SYS DIA
95 132 72
80 124 68
84 127 67
84 117 66
82 120 62
83 107 61
85 127 62
81 107 69
85 117 63
83 126 61

Conclusion:
Heart rate increases by 30 initially on standing up. No major change in blood pressure as far as I know?

Isn't this what one would expect from mitochondrial dysfunction. The most dense area of mitochondria is in the heart. When the heart requires more energy to pump round blood on standing the mitochondria haven't got it so the heart is forced to beat faster.

So are these results merely secondary to poor mitochondria function? (despite treatment mine is still not great).

Many thanks for your insights.

Best wishes,

J

Valentijn

@JBB - I don't think your heart rate is too remarkable, since it very quickly settles down. Your pulse pressure (difference between systolic and dialstolic measurement) does get into the 30's once, but barely. It's actually a little odd that your pulse pressure is so huge most of the time - around 60! Your diastolic value is consistently low, however ... almost in the hypotension category.

Can you do a longer test? Some issues can take half an hour or more to really hit.

JBB

@golden thanks for your thread, that's very interesting.

@Valentijn Thanks very much for the info.

So large pulse pressure...what does that mean?

And diastolic is low - hypotension, strange :S...maybe I do too much meditation :lol:...wonder what that means too. Have to do some research :).

I'll give the half hour test a go and see if that turns up anything different.

Thanks for the suggestions / help,

J

Valentijn

So large pulse pressure...what does that mean?

And diastolic is low - hypotension, strange :S...maybe I do too much meditation :lol:...wonder what that means too. Have to do some research :).
Some ME patients get narrow pulse pressure after standing up for a while - in the neighborhood of 25 and lower, which can cause pretty nasty symptoms. Normal is 40-50. I'm not sure what high pulse pressure means, since I haven't seen it before :p

Low diastolic is also something some ME patients get ... though usually systolic also drops.

JBB

Some ME patients get narrow pulse pressure after standing up for a while - in the neighborhood of 25 and lower, which can cause pretty nasty symptoms. Normal is 40-50. I'm not sure what high pulse pressure means, since I haven't seen it before :p

Low diastolic is also something some ME patients get ... though usually systolic also drops.

*Sigh*...this illness has it in for me! My results are all abnormally abnormal :cautious:.

From Wiki:
"The most common cause of a low (narrow) pulse pressure is a drop in left ventricular stroke volume...If the pulse pressure is extremely low, i.e. 25 mmHg or less, the cause may be low stroke volume, as in Congestive Heart Failure and/or shock."

That would fit into the mitochondrial dysfunction idea and increased heart rate...but I'm high! :S

Ahaaaaaa...

"Magnesium deficiency increases systolic and pulse pressure; restoration reduce them. Well-absorbed forms of magnesium include magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate. Systolic and pulse pressure reductions of 5-10 mmHg are most common, though may require many years to develop. "

That could well be the reason. After countless magnesium injections I still can't get the magnesium up.

Why do ME patients get low diastolic?

Best wishes,

J